Sound Blaster Live! Jumper problem

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Hard_Boiled, Dec 27, 2001.

1. Hard_Boiled

Hard_Boiled Golden Member

My friend's sister received a cd burner for christmas, to go in her Dell P3 800. He thought he could connect the IDE cable to the sound blaster live! value for some odd reason, and he sees all the jumpers on the end of the SB Live and thinks it must be an IDE connector. So he removes 2 jumpers that were covered (side note: my sb live value does not have any jumpers covered, which I thought was odd. Dell must have needed some covered.)

Once these jumpers are removed, WinME will not boot succesfully into normal mode. This is when I get the call. So I go over to his house and determine the SB Live is the problem, and disable it in the device manager. CDRW is in there fine now, but my friend doesn't remember which jumpers were shunted originally. I had a hard time searching the net for anything about the SB live jumpers, I think the sets of jumpers were labeled J13-1 and J13-2.

He swears the jumpers were adjacent, so I think I can fix it by trial and error moving of the jumpers, but just thought I'd post this message to see if anyone knows why Dell would have those jumpers shunted on the sb live, and what those jumpers do and why it would cause WinME to crash. TYIA

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Sound Blaster Live Forum Date
    Issue with Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit driver General Hardware Sep 29, 2009
    Where to get complete Driver CD For Sound Blaster Live! General Hardware Jan 28, 2007
    Sound Blaster Live 5.1 General Hardware Aug 15, 2006
    Logitech Z-2300 Speakers and Sound Blaster Live - How much quality is my card costing me? General Hardware Sep 4, 2005
    Sound Blaster Live or On-Board General Hardware Jun 18, 2005

3. Darkhawk28

Darkhawk28 Diamond Member

A long time ago, the Sound Blaster's did have an IDE port at the very end of the card. No so anymore, so I can see his confusion if he's a newbie.

4. BrunoPuntzJones

whoa, are you saying that he did connect it? or that he realized it wasnt IDE and put it on the mainboard?

*pulls out his sb live value from under the desk*

yup just a daughtercard connector on mine. ill assume that he did not get it working on the sound card right?

anyways, on my sb live value digital, i only have one jumper (j1) under the r132 and r133 bridge. it's set for 3 (as opposed to 1). no idea what this is for.

5. Hard_Boiled

You're right they are the connectors for a daughter card, which would explain why my store bought SB Live! value does not have any of them covered with a jumper. But for some reason Dell had two jumpers covering some of the pins on the AUD_EXT portion of this card, and these are the jumpers he removed. I called Dell, the tech support lady didn't really help me out much.

Basically he thought the AUD_EXT portion of the card was an IDE connector, so he removed the jumpers. As far as I know, he didn't connect the ide cable to it because I don't think he could have. This is turning into a real mess though because he's going to go back to college tomorrow and his sisters computer is still broken.

I blame dell, why in the hell would they put jumpers on the AUD_EXT part of this card when no other SB Live card in the world seems to have them covered with jumpers.

6. BrunoPuntzJones

<< I blame dell, why in the hell would they put jumpers on the AUD_EXT part of this card when no other SB Live card in the world seems to have them covered with jumpers >>

probably to keep people from putting something on there :), they probably didnt think anyone would take it off :p

7. WildDreamer

WildDreamer Senior member

Found this in the SB Live user's guide, don't know if it will help or not:

AUD_EXT connector pin assignments

Note

ADC stands for Analog-to-Digital Converter

Pin  Name                      Description
    1      VCC                      +5V power supply
    2      VCC                      +5V power supply
    3      GND                      Ground
    4      AC97CLK               24.5 MHz clock output
    5      GND                      Ground
    6      GP_SPDIFIN#2      SPDIF input signal
    7      GND                      Ground
    8      GND                      Ground
    9      SPDIFO#3             SPDIF Out signal
    10    GPO1                     General Purpose Output #1
    11    GPO2                     General Purpose Output #2
    12    GND                      Ground
    13    GPO0                     General Purpose Output #0
    14    GND                      Ground
    15    GP_SPDIFIN1        SPDIF Input signal
    16    GND                      Ground
    17    SPDIFO#0             SPDIF Out signal
    18    GND                      Ground
    19    SPDIFO#1             SPDIF Out signal
    20    GND                      Ground
    21    GND                      Ground
    22    SPDIFO#2             SPDIF Out signal
    23    GPI0                      Digital Input (GP Input 0; Reserved)
    24    GPI1                      Digital Input, (GP Input 1; Reserved)
    25    OUTMIDI                MIDI Output
    26    GND                      Ground
    27    INMIDI                   MIDI Input
    28    GND                      Ground
    29    KEY       
    30    KEY       
    31    ADCSDO2              I2S audio data input.
    32    GND                      Ground
    33    ADCSDO1              I2S audio data input.
    34    GND                       Ground
    35    ADCSDO0              I2S audio data input.
    36    GND                      Ground
    37    I2SCLK                  I2S serial bit clock.
    38    GND                      Ground
    39    I2SFS                    Frame sync.
    40    GND                      Ground

8. Hard_Boiled

Thanks WildDreamer, I had not come across that particular information. Alas, Dell seems to use a slightly different SB Live value than the reglar ones, for starters pins 29 and 30 are not present. The model number of the Live card is CT4780. This card has some special feature that identifies it as a Dell card I read somewhere tonight, I swear this is the hardest thing for me to find any information on.

I called Dell tech support again, and must have been a little more assertive. The lady who talked to me this time put me on hold for 5 minutes, then comes back and says Dell will send us a new card. She said she had the jumper layout, but it was too hard to tell me over the phone and this would be easier. BS I say, she doesn't know! But, alls well that ends well, a Dell contracted technician will come out next week and swap in a new card, problem solved.