Sound Blaster Audigy 2zs setup with Logitech Z5500

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Moderator<br>A/V & Home Theater<br>Elite member
Aug 6, 2001
Originally posted by: funboy42
I was having problems as well with my Z2 gamer and my 5500's till this thread BUT then I went and did music and a movie testing the diff between analog and Coaxil input in stereo and in DD.

My findings were that both music AND movies actually sounded better if I let the card decode DD and listened to my music in the analog mode as well. It had better depth and the highs were much more crisp.

Has anyone else taken the time and find that the soundblaster does a better job with the audio then the Z5500's do if you let it all pass through the sound card and let it decode it all?

I can hear a massive diff with my test music Cat Stevens and the movie so far tested was Star Trek Nemesis.

Just make sure both analog and digital are both hooked up and while playing switch between the two. I can really hear a diff and the soundcards built in decoder wins for me. Which sucks because with this forum I was really excited getting it working but my nature to test to see whats better killed my buzz :(

Thanks for testing this out and giving us the opinion.

I've usually mentioned that it's probably a better idea to use the soundcard's output to drive the speakers since the quality of the control pod on the z-680s and z-5500s is kind of an unknown factor. I don't remember seeing anyone taking the time to post their own opinion after actually testing it though :)

Just wondering... did you make sure all effects were off for both tests and try to test if the volume output was actually identical with either setting? (Just trying to think of some things that may have affected the outcome for your test)

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
Yup did a fair test and even did a couple games just now in stereo mode and same results. One source, smae music and vol levels and evffect set up. Only thing different was switching between the two modes.

Kinda sucks in a way. Was really hoping to hear the diff. I do with my sony cd player between analog and digital and was hoping the same with this set up.

On a good note leaving it on analog I dont have to keep switching between the two when I go from gaming to movies to music. I now just have to leave it set on direct input 6 and alls good :D

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Moderator<br>A/V & Home Theater<br>Elite member
Aug 6, 2001
Originally posted by: funboy42
Yup did a fair test and even did a couple games just now in stereo mode and same results. One source, smae music and vol levels and evffect set up. Only thing different was switching between the two modes.

Kinda sucks in a way. Was really hoping to hear the diff. I do with my sony cd player between analog and digital and was hoping the same with this set up.

On a good note leaving it on analog I dont have to keep switching between the two when I go from gaming to movies to music. I now just have to leave it set on direct input 6 and alls good :D

:thumbsup: ease of setup is nice.