sound and music don't work in windows 98se msdos games.

Bighitti

Nov 10, 2017
Hi,i have windows98SE and i wanted to play dos games,some of these works other not(music and sound doesn't work) i have sound blaster 16. It's possible to get some help :(?

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
*glances to bottom right of screen*
Yep... still 2017.
What time are you from, strange creature?

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
You might have better luck with dosbox, but if you insist on this, it could be anything from driver issues to IRQ settings.. gonna have to fish through some old documentation/troubleshooting steps for that stuff.

Do you know for a fact the SB card actually works?

Bighitti

Nov 10, 2017
Sound blaster 16 works,i have installed drivers from the web but the problem was the same. I have saw in some games there were some utilities to set irq,dma ecc but when i saved them there was this error: "error saving configuration file" :/. I bought gog games from dosbox and they works but i have original hardware and a pc emulator.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Well, if you can get around the saving issue, you may be able to configure it correctly... a lot of games have an actual config file (config.txt, game.config, stuff like that) that let you just manually input the required settings via notepad or whatever, but without that as an option you might not be able to get sound working on some games. That stuff was usually necessary.

Another option from that era was to restart in dos mode, some games only worked via that, not via Windows native.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Sound blaster 16 works,i have installed drivers from the web but the problem was the same. I have saw in some games there were some utilities to set irq,dma ecc but when i saved them there was this error: "error saving configuration file" :/. I bought gog games from dosbox and they works but i have original hardware and a pc emulator.
Might have to check the file attributes and make sure they aren't set to read-only. Use the attrib command.
Make sure your SET BLASTER environment variable is set correctly as well.

Ricochet

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
There was a time when I had to mess with Autoexec.bat and Config.sys to get Soundblaster working for Dos. Those were not fond memories.

Reactions: [DHT]Osiris