Sorry, gotta ask some stupid ?'s

JimMc

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Just installed the RC5 client on my two boxes, a 550 & a 450 Mhz, and both seem to be cracking. I followed the Paulson guide to set them up to do just RC5. My questions are:

I'm assuming flushing is sending the results of the cracking to DNet, does this have to been done manually? I can't seem to find an option to set it to flush automatically when X number of packets have been finished.

If you must flush manually, do you always hit the "update buffers" option to get more work?

If it runs out of packets, does it go get them on it's own?

FWIW, my boxes are on 24/7 and I'm on a cable modem, are there any other options/settings (buffer size?) I should be tweaking?

Apologies for the dumba$$ questions...

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
7) Additional buffer-level checking ==> 3
8) Buffer-level check interval ==> 0:30
9) Preferred packet size (2^X keys/packet) ==> RC5=-1
10) Fetch work threshold ==> RC5=2000,OGR=0
11) Fetch time threshold (in hours) ==> RC5=0

Not stupid at all. First, the client will automatically fetch and flush (if connected to the internet) when the buffers run to zero. If you don't want to run out of buffers, you can use some of the above options to set this up. The #7 (above) can be used in conjunction with the #8 option to set up a fetch, flush, or both based on the time value in #8. If #7 is left at zero (automatic), then all will be based on #10 and #11. If setting #10 to a specific value with a 0 in #11, then it will load that many packets, crack them all, then flush and reload...i.e. If #10 is set to 100 and #11 is 0, then the client will load 100 packets, crack them all, flush the results and load 100 packets again. The above example: Loads client with 2000 blocks (if possible)...starts cracking and, every 30 minutes (based on #7 and #8), flushes the completed blocks and fetches the buffers back to 2000 blocks (based on #7 - 3=fetch/flush based on time in #8 above)....

Hope I didn't get too complicated...I tried to use good examples...

If you need more, please ask...Welcome aboard!!! Have you went to d.net, requested your password..And then used your e-mail/password to actually join the Team (Anandtech!)..?

Good luck and welcome aboard!!! :D

MWalkden

Golden Member
Dec 7, 1999
No dumb questions in this forum except the ones not asked!:)

I have to make assumptions here, windows and the latest clients. The following lines should be what you are looking for in the config, option 2, and mine are 13 and 14. Also, spend a few minutes looking at all your options. The discriptions are not the best always but may make sense.

No, you do not need to update manually. There are a couple of ways to allow the client to update by itself.

13) Fetch work threshold ==> RC5=3000,OGR=0
14) Fetch time threshold (in hours) ==> RC5=0

13 is the number of blocks I have told my PC to buffer. The clients have some built in logic that prevent too many blocks from being buffered, but mine does this many.

14 is another option to tell the client to 'update' (fetch/flush) at a certian time interval. Mine is set at default, which means to use line 13's value.

Line 13 and 14 may be other numbers in your client depending on what other values are set above it.

There are some related issues regarding the fetch/flush. If the client fails to find your designated proxy, it will automatically fall back to a dnet proxy. This is of a concern if you are flushing to a particular proxy for stats purposes (such as mikas proxy). If your client falls back to another proxy, you will not get credit except for on dnet in such a case. If you are flushing to the rr you should be safe from this particular problem.

There is a team FAQ that discusses in greater depth many issues that may concern you. You can find the FAQ here:

Well, I couldn't find it LOL! Will edit if I can dig it up.

Welcome to Team Anandtech RC5!:)

JimMc

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Engineer/MWalkden, thanks--exactly what I was looking for, I've made these changes.

I haven't requested a password yet, I thought I had to wait until tomorrow? I have manually flushed each box once, is it possible I'll get a password sooner today?

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
No, you'll have to wait until at least (LEAST!) 24 hours and then you can go to the d.net statistics page, type in your e-mail and your page will appear. At the bottom of your page, there will be a link to request your password.

The link for the D.net stats page is: Distributed.net stats page here!