Sorry, another "GF2 or V5?" thread. But I run win2k...

oboeguy

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 1999
Guys, I am deciding on my next video card. I need a new video card to replace my Diamond TNT2U (destined for another machine I am building for my office at school, really soon, in a week or two).

buy.com is having free shipping these days, and there are some nice coupons. The makes the Creative Labs GF2 32MB about $220 shipped, and the V5 5500 about $230 shipped. I expect to buy one of these two, or perhaps another GF2 if the price is not too far off.

I figure the above are my two choices, as I will not spend much more than that, and, most importantly, I run win2k for everything (lots of coding and number crunching, and, of course, games) except a couple of games that won't behave (for which I have the dual-boot to win98SE setup). Note that win2k ==> no Radeon for me. Everything I've heard points to ATI's win2k drivers sucking like a Hoover. BTW, I have a P!!! 700 @ 1GHz on a CUSL2.

I tend to prefer sports games like NBA Live, and Unreal engine games (UT and Deus Ex, lately). So, it seems like the V5 is the way to go, right? All those games run way faster with Glide, and NBA Live would look lovely with real FSAA. Mmmmmm, FSAA... However, 3dfx has a BAD history when it come to NT drivers, so I am worried. Also, the new D3 drivers + T&L for the GF2 make it a very attractive option for non-Glide and future games. But is T&L all that with a fast CPU?

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

oboeguy

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 1999
Thanks for the tip; I'm keeping my eyes on the threads now. BTW, he mentions in

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=45&threadid=217767

that the memory is "SDRAM":

<< Creative Labs OEM 64MB GTS2 - EXACT same features as retal creative cards, comes with HS&amp;F and the 6ns Hyundai SDRAM Memory. >>

??? I guess I haven't kept up too well with things, as I thought the 64MB ones were all DDR (or all GF2s? Oy, so much variety!).