sooo frustrating

Rallispec

Lifer
Jul 26, 2001
okay.. some of you may remember my rant on friday about me not being allowed to install software.. we'll here is the update thread.

there is me (an intern) and the other IT person (lady i work for).. we're in charge of the network and comptures here..

and then their is the guy, who i thougth was our boss, but is actually just a computer network 'contractor' of sorts.. Our company pays his company to have him come here and mantain our servers and do extra IT work.
He is the one who told me i'm not allowed to install software on the computers here.

anyways, he changed the password on all the servers over the weekend so now neither me or the lady i work for can access them anymore, despite the fact they belong to our company and we are in charge of them.

the guy just said that if he was gonig to be maintaining them, he wont doesnt want us messing them up and wont be responsible for anythign we do to change them.

so now we cant even access our own servers and we have employees complaining becuase their is data on them that we need to retrieve.

this is so frustrating.

ATLien247

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2000
Sounds like his contract is about to end...

(That is, if you mention this to the right person(s).)

Rallispec

Lifer
Jul 26, 2001
yeah.. the lady i work for is talking to her boss to see about getting him fired

i really hope he is becuase he was a complete asshole to me the other day.

Wallydraigle

Banned
Nov 27, 2000
Only one thing to do. You get a couple of the guys and you off him. Whack him out. You're good like 'at.

Rallispec

Lifer
Jul 26, 2001
Originally posted by: lirion
Only one thing to do. You get a couple of the guys and you off him. Whack him out. You're good like 'at.

<mr. burns> excellent </mr. burns>

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Rallispec
Originally posted by: lirion

<mr. burns> excellent </mr. burns>

Fugheddaboudit...

Seriously, this sounds like a bad situation, when an outside contractor/consultant has root access while no one inhouse does as well. Not only that, but this outside contractor is an idiot.

Soulbane

Jun 21, 2001
Let me just say this first of all. You said you are an intern. I don't know how long your internship is for but I wouldn't give an intern free reign over my systems in most cases. I would let them do certain tasks but I would really question giving out admin passwords and such to them.

But lets just say your company allows you full access....

This is a huge problem dealing with a contractor or employee who won't give access. I've run in to this before.

I can garuntee that he thinks that you and the woman you work with are not capable enough to take care of these servers. It comes down to that he has an arrogant attitude and is a control freak. He thinks he is helping the company by doing this but in fact he is hurting it.

You need to bring this up to the person who is in charge of your department and who this dude reports to.
You cannot administer a system without access to the servers. Are you going to email him everytime you need to create a new account? what if hes out of town?

It makes no sense at all to inhibit someone from doing their job.

Also, if he is fired or leaves the position, make 100% sure you change all passwords. Especially routers and firewalls. This is the kind of guy that can screw you over good.

Rallispec

Lifer
Jul 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Soulbane
Let me just say this first of all. You said you are an intern. I don't know how long your internship is for but I wouldn't give an intern free reign over my systems in most cases. I would let them do certain tasks but I would really question giving out admin passwords and such to them.

But lets just say your company allows you full access....

This is a huge problem dealing with a contractor or employee who won't give access. I've run in to this before.

I can garuntee that he thinks that you and the woman you work with are not capable enough to take care of these servers. It comes down to that he has an arrogant attitude and is a control freak. He thinks he is helping the company by doing this but in fact he is hurting it.

You need to bring this up to the person who is in charge of your department and who this dude reports to.
You cannot administer a system without access to the servers. Are you going to email him everytime you need to create a new account? what if hes out of town?

It makes no sense at all to inhibit someone from doing their job.

Also, if he is fired or leaves the position, make 100% sure you change all passwords. Especially routers and firewalls. This is the kind of guy that can screw you over good.

yes, technically im' just an internt, although my actual job duties go beyond just that kind of stuff.. i'm more of an assistant to the Main IT woman.

and i can understand him not wanting me to do certain things.... but he's me from doing routine tasks as well.. i mean, he woudlnt let me instal winzip on an employees comptuer so they could access files.. i think that is going overboard.

and the fact that now with the password change, my boss cant access the servers either, and we need to get onto them to update some of the users mail accounts, he is keeping us and otehr employees from being able to do their jobs.