Soon to be college graduates...

JonTheBaller

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2002
What are your plans after graduation? Start full-time work, grad school, take some time off, or something else?

I just got an offer from Accenture. I'll probably be starting in July.

brunswickite

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2002
thats a very good company... my brother works there now and has been working there for 5 years now

Gravity

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2003
Many congrats! I was working full-time when I graduated. Thinking bout going back for my masters soon, ick!

JonTheBaller

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2002
Originally posted by: brunswickite
thats a very good company... my brother works there now and has been working there for 5 years now

How does he like it? I've heard some bad stories about it, but at the same time I'm sure I'll get great experience, not to mention that it looks good on a resume :).

NTB

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2001
I'd like to start working full time - get out from under my parents' roof, maybe get an apartment with my girlfriend.

Nate

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: johnnytightlips

How does he like it? I've heard some bad stories about it, but at the same time I'm sure I'll get great experience, not to mention that it looks good on a resume :).

Any company of sufficient size will have current and past employees with bad stories. I wouldn't worry about that...

Spike

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2001
hmmm, I graduate in june but no offers yet... I suppose I should start actually looking for them. Any ideas?

-spike

JonTheBaller

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2002
Originally posted by: Spike
hmmm, I graduate in june but no offers yet... I suppose I should start actually looking for them. Any ideas?

-spike

What's your major? Honestly, you should have already been looking into this but I'm sure there's still plenty of time. Start out by looking at what services your career center has to offer.

LOLyourFace

Banned
Jun 1, 2002
What are your plans after graduation? Start full-time work, grad school, take some time off, or something else?

may i ask your salary? I'll be out this spring as well and I'm curious as hell what kind of job market im looking at (im double in managment/marketing)

brunswickite

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2002

he actually loves the place, he has been on projects in LA, SF, Boston, and right now is in SC, (he is based in NJ).

Congratulations man, that company is great to work for, the pay is great, you get to travel the country and the perks are amazing.

the only downside i see is that if you are in a realtionship it might put a strain on it from the travelling

JonTheBaller

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2002
Originally posted by: LOLyourFace

may i ask your salary? I'll be out this spring as well and I'm curious as hell what kind of job market im looking at (im double in managment/marketing)

Base salary is $50k even. I'm in the greater DC area, and I'll be based out of the Reston, VA office. While most people would say that's a great starting salary, I've actually seen a good number of better offers than this, and consider this a bit low (take into consideration that the greater DC area is relatively expensive to live in). I would say the job market is definitely looking better. A lot of recruiters have told me that this is the first year in a while in which they have been recruiting new hires.

JonTheBaller

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2002

he actually loves the place, he has been on projects in LA, SF, Boston, and right now is in SC, (he is based in NJ).

Congratulations man, that company is great to work for, the pay is great, you get to travel the country and the perks are amazing.

the only downside i see is that if you are in a realtionship it might put a strain on it from the travelling

Thanks for the info and praise, I appreciate it. I am really excited about the prospects of travelling, definitely will make life more interesting. And right now I am not in a relationship, but I agree with what you said about putting a strain on one.

Supermercado

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
I'm hoping to get a full-time job after graduation. I can't afford to take time off to just goof off, although I wish I could. Not going to grad school.

TubStain

Apr 19, 2001

Thanks for the info and praise, I appreciate it. I am really excited about the prospects of travelling, definitely will make life more interesting. And right now I am not in a relationship, but I agree with what you said about putting a strain on one.

What major are you?

Koing

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br> Health and F
Oct 11, 2000
One of the biggest it/consulting companies.

They came and talked to my uni in England. They have a global presence and congrats on the job.

Koing

TubStain

Apr 19, 2001
computer science

Awesome congrats. In a company like Accenture you will be able to do a whole lot more than programming if you wish. But then you proabably already know that. Consulting is great for a new grad, allows you to dip your feet in a lot of projects, make a lot of contacts and travel to boot.

JonTheBaller

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2002
Originally posted by: jayXTP
computer science

What kind of work will you be doing? Is it a programming/software development position?

I'll be starting out applying my technical knowledge and skills to different projects, but I'll also learn different business processes.

cchen

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999

In terms of consulting companies Accenture doesn't have that good of a reputation.... however it is a good company to start with, but trust me, don't stay there too long. 50k seems a little bit low with respect to the number of hours you'll have to put in a week. At Northrop Grumman (where I worked last summer) they were hiring new graduates at 55-60k and 40hrs a week max.

JonTheBaller

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2002
Originally posted by: cchen

In terms of consulting companies Accenture doesn't have that good of a reputation.... however it is a good company to start with, but trust me, don't stay there too long. 50k seems a little bit low with respect to the number of hours you'll have to put in a week. At Northrop Grumman (where I worked last summer) they were hiring new graduates at 55-60k and 40hrs a week max.

There are definitely more prestigous consulting companies, but I don't think I had a shot at getting hired by them, especially because they don't recruit from my school. :p
Also, as far as technology consulting companies, I think Accenture is in the top tier.