sony vaio laptop dead/no bios

opiate27

Feb 5, 2004
I've been building and repairing PCs and laptops for quite some time now - I've never run into this issue.

On a Sony Vaio PCG-GRX570 laptop, the LCD screen was going bad to the point that I had to keep on tricking the computer into thinking that the lid had closed and reopened (hard to explain what i did but maybe you'll understand). By pressing the lid pressure points about as fast as you can blink repeatedly, the light on the laptop LCD would flash and let me see what was going on. I figured some connection had come loose inside the laptop since the LCD was still receiving power and would occassionally work for no longer than 30 seconds.

Anyways, I was looking for a problem and didn't find one, so I put the laptop back together. The battery was out of the laptop. I plugged in the AC cord and booted it up just fine into WinXP. When I stood up and walked over to my desk, my leg caught the AC cord and yanked it out of the computer. I feared the worst.

Since the LCD screen was still bad, I can't see what's going on even by trying the "lid" trick. It's like the computer powers on, the HDD, system, and GFX card fans start to run, then that's all the noise. Just the green LED light stays constant. This is after putting the battery back in, no AC, with AC, trial and error for 5 hours. Prior to this happening, I could try the lid trick from the second it powered on to see the "Sony" logo and even get in the bios. I know it is not a problem with the lid button since it powered on into Windows just fine before...

I've been researching for over 2 hours now to try and narrow down the problem. All of the little methods I've utilized have led to the same thing. I've tried removing both sticks of ram even though the computer should at least supply power to the monitor and that didnt work.

Any suggestions, diagnoses, words of wisdom are very much appreciated as I know there are many problems discussed on this board.

Thanks

opiaTe

opiate27

Feb 5, 2004
Yes, I tried hooking up an external monitor and reseating the ram.

Normally I'm helping other people out but this one has me stumped. Just blackness.

opiaTe

LiLithTecH

Diamond Member
Jul 28, 2002
The brightness on the LCD hasn't been turned down has it?
Fn F5 - Right arrow increases brightness

also,

Fn F7 = External Display - toggle between the LCD, video out, and both
Fn F8 = Video Out - toggle between the LCD, video out, and both

If you need replacement parts, this is a good place to start:
Spare Parts Warehouse

vietofmars

Nov 20, 2001
Maybe the backlight is busted. Can you see faint images at certain angles on the black screen?

opiate27

Feb 5, 2004
I know that the backlight is busted because it doesn't light up at all...even an "illuminated" blank black screen like it should when I remove the ram, peripherals, and HDD. But that is the least of my worries.

I just can't get the computer into windows so that I can do the Fn + F5 and switch to TV so I can see what's going on/error messages.

Not only that but the hard drive fan and power supply fan won't stay on longer than 3 seconds after i turn on power.

I think I am just going to send it in to someone and have them do a full assessment.

opiaTe