SONY threatens legal action against "importing" PLaystation consoles

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Stupid, greedy Ferengi

Wonder how long before the European Union bitch-slaps them, just like it did with Microsoft... these people are shameless! How much longer before they finally bite the dust, as they deserve? They are already guilty of unprecedented consolidation in the media market, by both horizontally and vertically controlling the production, distribution and technological gateways to many cultural products. When will they get enough? I am sick of this company!

Termagant

Mar 10, 2006
Sony is ultimately a Japanese Company, I don't expect any action from the EU against them. Less Euro jealousy of Japan than compared to jealousy of America.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
I guess that means I won't be selling my preorder to a Scandinavian with 2Large burning a hole in his pockets . . .

I wonder if ebay will enforce Sony's rules?

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
I wonder if it is truly for greedy purposes...

if we pause to think of maybe WHY this occurs there might be a better answer ;)

Termagant

Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: magomago
I wonder if it is truly for greedy purposes...

if we pause to think of maybe WHY this occurs there might be a better answer ;)

It's to protect Europeans from incompatible power plugs and European Blu-rays??? Just like Sony said?

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
From a similar thread on OT:

http://psp.ign.com/articles/740/740825p1.html

"October 20, 2006 - When gamers want to import a game or system from a territory outside their own (usually to play games not available in their home country), they usually turn to an online retail store that offers import gaming supplies. Now European importers have one less option for nabbing a U.S. or Japanese PSP. One of the most popular import shops, Lik-Sang, has been blocked from selling PSPs to European customers.

In a statement released today, Lik-Sang says Sony has obtained a judgment from the High Court of London ruling that sales of Japanese PSPs from Lik-Sang's website to European customers is illegal. The importer says its legal representatives were not present at the hearing to argue on the company's behalf.

Game consoles have traditionally been region-specific, meaning they will only play games released in their territory; for example, a Japanese game won't play on an American PlayStation 2. The reasons companies choose to lock out other regions has always been a bit nebulous, and gamers often find it irritating.

Sony first took issue with Lik-Sang in August 2005 when European gamers were importing Japanese PSPs ahead of the system's UK launch. Sony launched a lawsuit in the High Court of Hong Kong arguing that Lik-Sang advertises Sony's products "in a dishonest manner" and "unlawfully interferes with Sony's economical interests." Sony then launched a separate lawsuit against Lik-Sang in the UK.

As Lik-Sang is a Hong Kong company, it claims it is operating within the laws of its own country. The London judge apparently believes, however, that Lik-Sang is violating European laws when doing business with European customers. In his ruling Judge Michael Fysh said, "The acts of which the complaint is made have, in my view, been perpetrated not in Hong Kong but here in the EEA, and without Sony's consent."

"Fighting multiple lawsuits in different countries at the same time and paying high premiums to expensive lawyers is an overwhelming situation for a small company like Lik-Sang," said Pascal Clarysse, Marketing Manager of Lik-Sang.com. "Launching separate court actions with separate claims and different judges is completely unnecessary, except for the fact that it helps reaching one single target: outspend Lik-Sang to death. Pay beyond. And contrary to their claim, I don't believe they are suffering 'losses and damages' through Lik-Sang's activity."

It follows that if it's illegal to buy a PSP from Lik-Sang in Europe, it might also be made illegal to import a PlayStation 3 from the online retailer. As the PS3 isn't launching until four months after its U.S. and Japanese releases, no doubt some European gamers would consider importing a foreign system. Lik-Sang claims Sony is threatening further legal action to prevent PS3 imports. As of this writing, the website is taking PS3 pre-orders."

So, Lik-Sang was in violation of it's agreement with Sony, and didn't expect to get sued? Why do these Chinese companies seem to think that international copyright and patent laws don't apply to them?
The more that get closed down, the better IMO...no better than a bunch of corporate level theives...

rchiu

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2002
Originally posted by: AnitaPeterson
Stupid, greedy Ferengi

Wonder how long before the European Union bitch-slaps them, just like it did with Microsoft... these people are shameless! How much longer before they finally bite the dust, as they deserve? They are already guilty of unprecedented consolidation in the media market, by both horizontally and vertically controlling the production, distribution and technological gateways to many cultural products. When will they get enough? I am sick of this company!

Well, at least Sony is only trying to stop the importing of some game consoles. Unlike pharmaceutical companis trying to stop the importing of drugs between countries so they can control prices and maximize profit, something that can make a difference between life and death.

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: BoomerD

"October 20, 2006 - When gamers want to import a game or system from a territory outside their own (usually to play games not available in their home country), they usually turn to an online retail store that offers import gaming supplies. Now European importers have one less option for nabbing a U.S. or Japanese PSP. One of the most popular import shops, Lik-Sang, has been blocked from selling PSPs to European customers.

In a statement released today, Lik-Sang says Sony has obtained a judgment from the High Court of London ruling that sales of Japanese PSPs from Lik-Sang's website to European customers is illegal. The importer says its legal representatives were not present at the hearing to argue on the company's behalf.

Game consoles have traditionally been region-specific, meaning they will only play games released in their territory; for example, a Japanese game won't play on an American PlayStation 2. The reasons companies choose to lock out other regions has always been a bit nebulous, and gamers often find it irritating.

Sony first took issue with Lik-Sang in August 2005 when European gamers were importing Japanese PSPs ahead of the system's UK launch. Sony launched a lawsuit in the High Court of Hong Kong arguing that Lik-Sang advertises Sony's products "in a dishonest manner" and "unlawfully interferes with Sony's economical interests." Sony then launched a separate lawsuit against Lik-Sang in the UK.

As Lik-Sang is a Hong Kong company, it claims it is operating within the laws of its own country. The London judge apparently believes, however, that Lik-Sang is violating European laws when doing business with European customers. In his ruling Judge Michael Fysh said, "The acts of which the complaint is made have, in my view, been perpetrated not in Hong Kong but here in the EEA, and without Sony's consent."

"Fighting multiple lawsuits in different countries at the same time and paying high premiums to expensive lawyers is an overwhelming situation for a small company like Lik-Sang," said Pascal Clarysse, Marketing Manager of Lik-Sang.com. "Launching separate court actions with separate claims and different judges is completely unnecessary, except for the fact that it helps reaching one single target: outspend Lik-Sang to death. Pay beyond. And contrary to their claim, I don't believe they are suffering 'losses and damages' through Lik-Sang's activity."

It follows that if it's illegal to buy a PSP from Lik-Sang in Europe, it might also be made illegal to import a PlayStation 3 from the online retailer. As the PS3 isn't launching until four months after its U.S. and Japanese releases, no doubt some European gamers would consider importing a foreign system. Lik-Sang claims Sony is threatening further legal action to prevent PS3 imports . As of this writing, the website is taking PS3 pre-orders."

So, Lik-Sang was in violation of it's agreement with Sony, and didn't expect to get sued? Why do these Chinese companies seem to think that international copyright and patent laws don't apply to them?
The more that get closed down, the better IMO...no better than a bunch of corporate level theives...

Bolded the parts which speak volumes... None of these actions from Sony have any sense, or bring any (real or imagined) benefit to the consumers.

DIAF, Sony!

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: AnitaPeterson
Originally posted by: BoomerD

It follows that if it's illegal to buy a PSP from Lik-Sang in Europe, it might also be made illegal to import a PlayStation 3 from the online retailer. As the PS3 isn't launching until four months after its U.S. and Japanese releases, no doubt some European gamers would consider importing a foreign system. Lik-Sang claims Sony is threatening further legal action to prevent PS3 imports . As of this writing, the website is taking PS3 pre-orders."

Bolded the parts which speak volumes... None of these actions from Sony have any sense, or bring any (real or imagined) benefit to the consumers.

DIAF, Sony!

Well, apparently they made sense to the courts that upheld the contracts...while YOU may not like it, the company does have rights to control how/where it's products are sold. Personally, it pisses me off when they set a certain "minimum price" at which their products can be sold at, Seems like price fixing to me, yet all major manufacturers do it...Don't believe me, visit Circuit City, Best Buy, and the like...you'll find TV's and such all selling for within a couple of dollars of the price at their competitors. This is unfortunately a corporate-controlled world we live in...THEY have all the money and lawyers...we consumers are just pawns in their games...