Sony Says It May Not Meet PS3 Shipment Goals

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Not making full use of the consumer holiday buying frenzy will be a huge disadvantage for Sony.

Looks like scalpers will be charging a premium into next year.

Jan 31, 2002
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Not making full use of the consumer holiday buying frenzy will be a huge disadvantage for Sony.

Looks like scalpers will be charging a premium into next year.

/sings a patriotic tune about the beauty of capitalism

- M4H

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
yeah its been posted a few times.

sony is going to be screwed this holiday year

Jan 31, 2002
Originally posted by: Jnetty99
Damn you beat me to it...

not only shipping goal, but possibly won't come out on November 17th.

Sony still stands firm behind its promise of delivering 500,000 units at launch, with 400,000 reserved for North America and the rest for Japan.

- M4H

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire
Damn you beat me to it...

not only shipping goal, but possibly won't come out on November 17th.

Sony still stands firm behind its promise of delivering 500,000 units at launch, with 400,000 reserved for North America and the rest for Japan.

- M4H

Hey dude, they said "at launch." If they don't "launch" until after Christmas, they are still keeping their promise. ;)

thegimp03

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2004
Weee...another delay! This sucks for people wanting to buy one when they come out. I was thinking of waiting several months for the feeding frenzy to die down, then I will evaluate if I want to buy it...

Mayfriday0529

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2003
According to Gizmondo
Sony is in a heap of trouble. First the exploding batteries, and now it looks like that could turn into a cascading problem. Our beloved blood brothers at Kotaku point us to a quote where Sony Computer Entertainment America co-chairman Jack Tretton backpedaled on the ship date of the PlayStation 3, saying that the game console's widely-reported rollout on November 17 is not set in stone:

"The honest answer is it's more of a target. Clearly we've had production issues.''

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
According to Gizmondo
Sony is in a heap of trouble. First the exploding batteries, and now it looks like that could turn into a cascading problem. Our beloved blood brothers at Kotaku point us to a quote where Sony Computer Entertainment America co-chairman Jack Tretton backpedaled on the ship date of the PlayStation 3, saying that the game console's widely-reported rollout on November 17 is not set in stone:

"The honest answer is it's more of a target. Clearly we've had production issues.''

This is the full quote from the original source - Bloomberg

Oct. 20 (Bloomberg) -- Sony Corp., which slashed its profit forecast yesterday, said it may not reach this year's shipment target for the PlayStation 3 game console because of a parts shortage in the Blu-ray high-definition disc drive.

Sony plans to ship two million PlayStation 3 players this year to the U.S. and Japan, and six million worldwide by March. The Tokyo-based company said yesterday annual profit would fall 35 percent to its lowest in five years on price cuts of the console in Japan and a recall of 9.6 million computer batteries.

``The honest answer is it's more of a target'' for PlayStation 3 shipments, Jack Tretton, co-chairman of Sony Computer Entertainment America, said yesterday in an interview. ``Clearly we've had production issues.''

A shortage of the PlayStation 3 would give Microsoft Corp. and Nintendo Co. a bigger head start in the $20 billion console market when they sell their players next month in time for the year's biggest sales season. Sony cut the price of the PS3 in Japan after consumers complained it was too expensive compared with Microsoft's Xbox 360 and Nintendo's Wii.

I read the "target" as referring to the total number of units shipped. Not as the ship date. I guess we'll see in the next couple of weeks.

Mayfriday0529

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2003
Originally posted by: Queasy
According to Gizmondo

This is the full quote from the original source - Bloomberg

Oct. 20 (Bloomberg) -- Sony Corp., which slashed its profit forecast yesterday, said it may not reach this year's shipment target for the PlayStation 3 game console because of a parts shortage in the Blu-ray high-definition disc drive.

Sony plans to ship two million PlayStation 3 players this year to the U.S. and Japan, and six million worldwide by March. The Tokyo-based company said yesterday annual profit would fall 35 percent to its lowest in five years on price cuts of the console in Japan and a recall of 9.6 million computer batteries.

``The honest answer is it's more of a target'' for PlayStation 3 shipments, Jack Tretton, co-chairman of Sony Computer Entertainment America, said yesterday in an interview. ``Clearly we've had production issues.''

A shortage of the PlayStation 3 would give Microsoft Corp. and Nintendo Co. a bigger head start in the $20 billion console market when they sell their players next month in time for the year's biggest sales season. Sony cut the price of the PS3 in Japan after consumers complained it was too expensive compared with Microsoft's Xbox 360 and Nintendo's Wii.

I read the "target" as referring to the total number of units shipped. Not as the ship date. I guess we'll see in the next couple of weeks.

mmm looks like Gizmondo is spinning the story differently...

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: iamaelephant
Oh boo hoo, rich Americans might have to wait another 4 weeks to buy their PS3s.

Nobody's sad about that. It's just that watching Sony over the last year has been like watching a train wreck in slow motion and we're just getting to the part where the engine bursts into flames. :p

Journer

Banned
Jun 30, 2005
i'm glad i preorded a Wii....although i might still wait outside the day b4 ps3 release and just resell to pay for the Wii, lol

Otaking

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2000
Is this really Sony's fault if the shortage of parts affects all aspects of the Blu-Ray market?

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Otaking
Is this really Sony's fault if the shortage of parts affects all aspects of the Blu-Ray market?

Yes since they are the ones pushing Blu-Ray and are part of the problem.