Sony MDR-7506 or Audio Technica ATH-M30x vs Sennheiser HD280PRO (Suggestions/help)

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
Looking for a pair of headphones to use mostly on my PC for movies, Youtube and of course gaming. Would also be using them to listen to music with my phone. Not looking for anything with a microphone.
I currently own a pair of Hyperx Cloud II and they are good I never tried other headphones/headsets but was wondering if there was something better out there than the Cloud's 2. (I need to stay in budget)

I am on a budget and will be buying used on eBay. Can only spend $50 used. My three main options are the ones on the title as they are within my budget if buying used. Which one is better and does anyone have any suggestions?

NOTE: I only paid $45 on eBay for the Cloud's 2 plus 1 year squartrade warranty.

Thanks guys!

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
EDIT: The first pair of Clouds weren't cloud II they were stingers or something else.

UPDATE: So I ended up buying a Pair for Hyper X Cloud II on eBay for $22 a few weeks ago. First pair of headphones/sets I ever owned I loved it except for one big flaw, the closed back design is annoying to me because I can't hear my self speaking so I don't know if I am talking too low or yelling. So today I ended up buying a Pair of Philips SHP9500 Newegg has them on sale for $60 ( Plus Tax) I am hoping they should arrive here no later than end of week Saturday. Can't wait to compare both headphones/sets

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I may be too late to the post but I own all three cans posted in the OP except I have the MDR-V6 that the 7506 copies. Of the 3 posted the 7506 all the way. I have had my MDR-V6 since 1985 and they are still fantastic. The 280pro are, imo, way way overrated and the M30 are ok but the 7506 (V6) sound overall better, especially for mids and highs. Just my opinion.

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
I may be too late to the post but I own all three cans posted in the OP except I have the MDR-V6 that the 7506 copies. Of the 3 posted the 7506 all the way. I have had my MDR-V6 since 1985 and they are still fantastic. The 280pro are, imo, way way overrated and the M30 are ok but the 7506 (V6) sound overall better, especially for mids and highs. Just my opinion.
Thank you! I bought the Sony MDR-7506 but the seller sent me a defective item and smelled like Cigarettes really bad so I had to return it. Such a shame. I ended up buying the Philiphs SHP9500 from Newegg for $65 with Tax. Not impressed but is what I wanted an open back headset.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Thank you! I bought the Sony MDR-7506 but the seller sent me a defective item and smelled like Cigarettes really bad so I had to return it. Such a shame. I ended up buying the Philiphs SHP9500 from Newegg for $65 with Tax. Not impressed but is what I wanted an open back headset.
Then you should return the SHP9500, and look at the Grado SR80e. They are exactly what you want. https://www.amazon.com/Grado-SR80e-...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=KJ2V370VNV2T9AS7B603

Reactions: Meghan54

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
The SR60e cans are cheaper, but still not quite in your budget: https://www.amazon.com/Grado-SR60e-Headphones/dp/B00KYTNU9U
Give something up for 2 weeks, and you should be good.:p
Its more reasonable for sure!
I honestly realized I don't need expensive headphones for what I use them for. The HyperX Cloud II's were superb in build quality and sound as well but had one major issue I couldn't work pass from. Since they are closed back I couldn't hear my self talking on the Microphone in game. I didn't know if I was being too quiet or actually yelling. I know you can enable in Windows to hear your self speak in the microphone in sound settings but that was kinda annoying I didn't like it. Then I got the Philips SHP9500 because they were open back but realized I didn't need to spend $65 on Headphones for the kind of use I need them for and the sound quality wasn't amazing or anything as everyone says it is.
Basically I just want them for gaming every once in a while, not as my main audio device as I have a pair of 2.1 Logitech Speakers that I love using. The headphones are going to be used for maybe 2 or 3 hour gaming sessions at the time. So I saw a lot of hype for the koss kph30i and ended up buying a pair. They should arrive this Friday. They are a lot cheaper.

Oh on a side note I didn't pay full price for the HyperX Cloud II's I won them on an eBay auction for $35

vonwerder

Apr 29, 2011
Try looking on Amazon Warehouse Deals. These are usually returned, fully functioning items at great prices.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I really like my SHP9500 cans. I wear them every evening for several hours while watching tv. Maybe they will sound better to you after time.

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
I really like my SHP9500 cans. I wear them every evening for several hours while watching tv. Maybe they will sound better to you after time.
oh they were great don't get me wrong I really liked them but I realized I just need them for 2 to 3 hour gaming sessions maybe some Youtube and that's it. They are for my Computer use. I love my 2.1 Speakers but enjoy the headphones every once in a while. But when compared to the KOSS KPH30i there wasn't a huge difference. Yes the KPH30i sound a little muddy compared to the SHP9500's but I was on a budget and saved close to $30 dollars for nearly the same performance. Maybe in the future when I can spend more money on a nice pair of cans but for now these are great for my needs.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
MDR-7506 all the way, had my pair over 15 years, on the third set of pads, still sound like new. Durable as hell too used to pack em around in a backpack no problem.

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
MDR-7506 all the way, had my pair over 15 years, on the third set of pads, still sound like new. Durable as hell too used to pack em around in a backpack no problem.
Yeah I hear war stories for these headphones, that they last very long time. Maybe for my next pair I'll get one of these for sure. Too bad the ones the seller on eBay sent me were damaged and smelled like cigarette like crazy. I couldn't take the smell away with anything. had to return them or otherwise I would have kept them.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Yeah I hear war stories for these headphones, that they last very long time. Maybe for my next pair I'll get one of these for sure. Too bad the ones the seller on eBay sent me were damaged and smelled like cigarette like crazy. I couldn't take the smell away with anything. had to return them or otherwise I would have kept them.
Like I said, I still have my original pair from 1985. Still use everyday.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
oh they were great don't get me wrong I really liked them but I realized I just need them for 2 to 3 hour gaming sessions maybe some Youtube and that's it. They are for my Computer use. I love my 2.1 Speakers but enjoy the headphones every once in a while. But when compared to the KOSS KPH30i there wasn't a huge difference. Yes the KPH30i sound a little muddy compared to the SHP9500's but I was on a budget and saved close to $30 dollars for nearly the same performance. Maybe in the future when I can spend more money on a nice pair of cans but for now these are great for my needs.
I kind of agree with you on their cost. If they had normal replaceable earpads and didn't have the white L and R on the grills I wouldn't mind the price as much. I only wish I could find something similar in comfort and sound that is closed back since my air conditioneer is 15 feet to my right and my fridge is just around the corner behind me. I have a set of ATH-M50s but they just aren't as comfortable and are a bit too big for my small head.

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
I kind of agree with you on their cost. If they had normal replaceable earpads and didn't have the white L and R on the grills I wouldn't mind the price as much. I only wish I could find something similar in comfort and sound that is closed back since my air conditioneer is 15 feet to my right and my fridge is just around the corner behind me. I have a set of ATH-M50s but they just aren't as comfortable and are a bit too big for my small head.
I wanted the ATH-50s really bad but couldn't afford them at the time. I hear lots of great stuff about them.

Be honest with you if you don't mind another set of Closed back headphones the HyperX Cloud II's sound decent and have great built quality, most likely nowhere near the ATH-M50's but good for a pair of Computer headphones. Now if you need them for something other than using on the Computer then I don't have other suggestions.

The KOSS KPH30i get a lot of hype for them on the online community and honestly for $30 they sound great. I got mine for $25 with a $5 discount. Totally worth it for the kind of use I need them for. But again I only used them for my PC, Youtube and small gaming sessions.

For my phone where I listen to music on the go (Galaxy s6) I use cheap JVC gummies for the past 4 years and they sound freaking great!

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I wanted the ATH-50s really bad but couldn't afford them at the time. I hear lots of great stuff about them.

Be honest with you if you don't mind another set of Closed back headphones the HyperX Cloud II's sound decent and have great built quality, most likely nowhere near the ATH-M50's but good for a pair of Computer headphones. Now if you need them for something other than using on the Computer then I don't have other suggestions.

The KOSS KPH30i get a lot of hype for them on the online community and honestly for $30 they sound great. I got mine for $25 with a $5 discount. Totally worth it for the kind of use I need them for. But again I only used them for my PC, Youtube and small gaming sessions.

For my phone where I listen to music on the go (Galaxy s6) I use cheap JVC gummies for the past 4 years and they sound freaking great!
The only reason I have the M50s is because they were discontinuing them in favor of the M50x models. I only paid $85 which is way less than they've been asking for the newer models. I also have the M40s and they are more comfortable and fit better. The pads tore though and I'm not sure if the cheap replacements I bought will fit them or not.

I only have 2 different pair of Plantronics gaming headphones. The Cloud II's definitely look better than what I have. If the the Koss' are on the ear I'm pretty sure I couldn't stand that lol. I have heard good things about Koss though and almost bought the Porta Pros last year.

Perhaps one day we'll be able to afford a decent set of headphones with a nice DAC and amp.

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
The only reason I have the M50s is because they were discontinuing them in favor of the M50x models. I only paid $85 which is way less than they've been asking for the newer models. I also have the M40s and they are more comfortable and fit better. The pads tore though and I'm not sure if the cheap replacements I bought will fit them or not.

I only have 2 different pair of Plantronics gaming headphones. The Cloud II's definitely look better than what I have. If the the Koss' are on the ear I'm pretty sure I couldn't stand that lol. I have heard good things about Koss though and almost bought the Porta Pros last year.

Perhaps one day we'll be able to afford a decent set of headphones with a nice DAC and amp.
Yeah I understand that for sure. I'd be super happy with the M50s or M50x for sure. I was just on a budget. NOTE: You might say "then why did you pay for the HyperX Cloud II"s if you couldn't afford something better." Well that's because I got them on an ebay auction for $22 lol.

I heard great stuff about the Porta Pross too but honestly if I had the M50's and M40's I wouldn't bother with this low tier stuff haha. Is excellent when you are on a budget but is no competition for higher tier cans like the ones you mentioned.

Aspality

Aug 4, 2019
I would recommend the M40x's instead of the M30 and the M50 as well, and definitely get better pads for them, maybe something from Brainwavz (although their recent sale on lambskin pads is gone now). But I also suggest the CoolerMaster MH751's as a competitor to the M40's, the CoolerMasters are based on the Takstar Pro82's which people highly regard as comfortable, and have sound that's way better than their price and Chinese background suggests, and CoolerMaster makes some pretty nice improvements upon the Takstars onto the MH751.

If you don't have a good DAC or amp, I suggest you get the CoolerMaster MH752, which is the same thing as the 751 except there's basically a dac/amp module that you can plug inline from your PC to headphone that will improve the sound, and has a few other features as well.

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
I would recommend the M40x's instead of the M30 and the M50 as well, and definitely get better pads for them, maybe something from Brainwavz (although their recent sale on lambskin pads is gone now). But I also suggest the CoolerMaster MH751's as a competitor to the M40's, the CoolerMasters are based on the Takstar Pro82's which people highly regard as comfortable, and have sound that's way better than their price and Chinese background suggests, and CoolerMaster makes some pretty nice improvements upon the Takstars onto the MH751.

If you don't have a good DAC or amp, I suggest you get the CoolerMaster MH752, which is the same thing as the 751 except there's basically a dac/amp module that you can plug inline from your PC to headphone that will improve the sound, and has a few other features as well.
Awesome! thank you!