Sony (key backer of +RW) to use DVD-R drive in PSX, also no CD-R or MP3 support

OddTSi

Senior member
Feb 14, 2003
371
0
0
Link

The machine also will not record or play DVDs in the DVD+RW format, as in the original plan, but it will play and record in DVD-R or DVD-RW formats.

Anyone think it has to do with higher compatibility? Cause I sure do.

Another thing worthy of noting:

The PSX will not play CDs in the CD-R format, as planned, and there also will be no video format support for certain Sony digital cameras and support for MP3 music playback.

Won't play CD-Rs and no MP3 music playback? What's up with that?
 

MDE

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
13,199
1
81
They probably want people to use their ATRAC format instead of MP3.
 

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
28,298
1,234
136
WEll, that's a load of bull because it *will* play DVD+RWs. No doubt about it.
 

OddTSi

Senior member
Feb 14, 2003
371
0
0
Originally posted by: Ichinisan
WEll, that's a load of bull because it *will* play DVD+RWs. No doubt about it.

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdplayers.php

According to that list 75% of DVD players play +RWs. So how can you be certain that +RWs will play in the PSX, what if it's in the other 25% range? I just don't see how you can say it with 100% certainty.
 

Pariah

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2000
7,357
20
81
The company said the missing functions can be replaced from downloads via the Internet in the future.

Sounds like a simple firmware issue. If not, these things always come down to money not necessarily what's best for the company. In the early days of DVD writers, all of Sony's own PC's used only DVD-R drive even though they only sold DVD+RW drives in retail. This isn't uncommon, IBM servers and computers have been shipped with competing companies' hard drives for years despite the fact they manufactured their own until recently. You're trying to read too much between the lines on this one.
 

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
28,298
1,234
136
Pretty much 100% of DVD players that were released after the DVD+R/+RW format were made to be compatible.

That "25% incompatibility rate" is a number that was released when the format debuted, which is actually pretty impressive.
 

OddTSi

Senior member
Feb 14, 2003
371
0
0
To say that DVD-RW and/or +RW can be played in "nearly" 100% of new DVD drives sounds ridiculous to me. If you were talking about DVD-R and +R I'd agree with you, but everyone knows that rewriteable media (whether it's DVD+/-RW or CD-RW) has a significantly lower compatibility rate than their write-once brethren.
 

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
31,516
167
106
True, but this is Sony we're talking about; some of their DVD players that support VCD won't play -R VCDs, only -RW.:Q