Sony just dropped the PS3 shipping estimate from 4 million to 2 million for this year

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Sony at E3
In order to satisfy gamers wanting a PS3 for Christmas, Sony said it planned to have two million units available at launch worldwide, with a further two million by the end of the year.

Gamespot Interview with Kaz Hirai
we've always talked about shipping 2 million units worldwide within the calendar year. Since we're going with three territories, we haven't really come up with an allocation just yet.

Then this is even more worrisome:
We haven't started manufacturing yet.

eBay scalpers to do big business this year....

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
It blows my mind that people are willing to spend $2000 on systems on eBay when there aren't even a whole lot of games out at launch... when if you waited a month or two you could get it for retail.

But whatever, their money not mine. :)

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: mugs
It blows my mind that people are willing to spend $2000 on systems on eBay when there aren't even a whole lot of games out at launch... when if you waited a month or two you could get it for retail.

I'm excited about the Wii. Isn't the new Zelda game and Mario game supposed to release at launch?

Queasy

Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: BigJ

I'm excited about the Wii. Isn't the new Zelda game and Mario game supposed to release at launch?

Zelda yes. Mario, I don't think so.

Queasy

Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: joshsquall
Is there anywhere to pre-order yet?

FYE

Gamestop and EB Games aren't even taking them pre-orders until they get an idea of how many PS3s they are going to get. Even then, there are rumors that if you go and pre-order games now at some stores, they'll let you be one of the first to pre-order the PS3.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Queasy

Zelda yes. Mario, I don't think so.

I like Zelda almost as much as SquareEnix releases, so I'll be getting one ;)

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
This is news? I thought all along it was supposed to be 2 million in stores by the end of the year. I must have missed the E3 announcement.

But I thought at E3, or even before, they announced that they would ship half as many units as the xbox 360 by year's end as the 360 had released by last year's end Didn't the xbox 360 ship 4 million last year?

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Eeezee
This is news? I thought all along it was supposed to be 2 million in stores by the end of the year. I must have missed the E3 announcement.

But I thought at E3, or even before, they announced that they would ship half as many units as the xbox 360 by year's end as the 360 had released by last year's end Didn't the xbox 360 ship 4 million last year?

At the end of Q4 2005, the 360 had shipped a little over 1.5million units.

Quarterly Data

* Q4 2005, 1.5 million units shipped[42]
* Q1 2006, 1.7 million units shipped[43]
* Q2 2006, 1.8 million units shipped[44]

Queasy

Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Eeezee

Up till now, I had always heard 2 million at launch with another 2 million by the end of the year.

The 360 is just cresting around 5 million sold/shipped now. I think they had only like 2 million or so before the end of 2005.

oboeguy

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 1999
So there are going to be lines outside of Gamestop... for those who want to pre-order. :D

Feb 24, 2001
Guy over on Genmay who works for Sony said it'd be 750k in the US at launch. Sounds way lower than it should be. Create a short supply to boost demand for more press? Same as the PS2...

Queasy

Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: BrunoPuntzJones
Guy over on Genmay who works for Sony said it'd be 750k in the US at launch. Sounds way lower than it should be. Create a short supply to boost demand for more press? Same as the PS2...

Considering they've already botched an announced Spring 2006 launch? I'd have to say it is legit.

Fraggable

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2005
They need to produce about 5 of them. For the $600 price I've heard predicted I can't see why in the world people want them. The X360 is largely the same except for blue-ray and game selection.