Sony Ericsson Phone - K750i

doze

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2005
Phone came in today and so far I'm impressed with everything about it. It is small and lightweight and has a very easy to use software interface (and apparently an awesome battery life too). Signal and voice quality are very good, and the quality of the color screen is better than expected. The MP3 player sounds good and the camera seems to work well too.

I think it will be nice to not have to use a flip phone anymore. Now I just need to find a case. Does anybody know of a rubber skin type case for these phones?

----------OrigPost-----------------
Looking at a Sony Ericsson K750i new unlocked for about $250 but never used a Sony phone before. Reviews seem to be good but you never know. I know there are newer models but this is my price range. I plan to use it mainly as a phone but buying for the combo MP3 player and 2MP digital camera (I do not currently own either device) which will be useful since it takes sony memory stick.

Would like to hear problems, compalints, recommendations for another similar unlocked GSM phone.

---Update: bought phone now looking for case

I bought the k750i today and now looking at cases to keep it from getting all jacked up. Has anybody tried this case?

link http://shopwireless.sonyericsson.com/buy/accessories/cat/6/accessory/218657

Or what case do you recommend/use for your sony phone?

dartworth

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
It is a great phone and the camera really takes some decent pics. I really like the SE user interface.

The K750 is a solid choice and you will be happy with it.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
I bought one on ebay that came with a 1GB memory stick, headphone adapter, 2 clear cases, a "holster", a car charger, and a bunch of other accessories. Came out to $295 shipped.

Sadly I had Cingular, and the k750i doesn't do 850mhz GSM. So I had to switch to T-Mobile for their 1900mhz network. I've been told that since most of the nation is covered by 850mhz network, that this phone won't work well outside of major cities, but I just got it 3 weeks ago, so I can't say whether that's true or not.

I put a couple hundred songs on it, it can play MP3s and WAVs. It does not like WMAs. The pictures are pretty good, and it has all the adjustments that a digital camera has (that I don't know how to use. What's a white balance?)

It's a very slick phone and it impresses everyone that sees it.

dartworth

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
I have Cingular and never had a problem with the K750i...however, I never used out in the sticks...or far away from large metro areas

andylawcc

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Nebor
Sadly I had Cingular, and the k750i doesn't do 850mhz GSM. So I had to switch to T-Mobile for their 1900mhz network. I've been told that since most of the nation is covered by 850mhz network, that this phone won't work well outside of major cities, but I just got it 3 weeks ago, so I can't say whether that's true or not.

I heard the contrary, 1900 is the US Standard and 850 was developed by Cingular (or ATT) back then to suppliment the 1900. 850 was not meant to be the mainstream / industry standard.

anyways, it's a nice phone. but I like the W800 or W550 a little better :)

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: dartworth
I have Cingular and never had a problem with the K750i...however, I never used out in the sticks...or far away from large metro areas

I got no service whatsoever on Cingular anywhere in the Dallas\Fort Worth metroplex. When I talked to Cingular, they showed me coverage maps, and only certain parts of the west coast are governed by 1900mhz control towers.

doze

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2005
Glad to hear you guys like the phone. I have T-mobile so I should not have any problems.

andylawcc ... I looked at the W550 but it only has 256 built in memory and no expansion slot and the 800 and 810 are a little bit more $$$ and dont seem to have any upgraded features.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: dartworth
go here http://www.wirelessadvisor.com

type in the zip code you will be living in and it will tell you specifically what frequencies will be in your area.

Sadly it is wrong. I did that before I purchased the k750i.

The problem is that while a lot of Cingular areas do have 1900mhz coverage, their "control towers," the ones that are in constant contact with your phone, are all 850mhz around here. You have to go through a control tower to reach the 1900mhz towers, but since the k750i lacks the 850mhz band you're hosed.

I'm glad yours worked out for you, but for me Cingular and a k750i was a no go. I am happy with T-Mobile though.

cchen

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
I have the w810i. It really is an incredible phone, and has changed my opinion of the SE phones.

Feb 19, 2001
Originally posted by: andylawcc

I heard the contrary, 1900 is the US Standard and 850 was developed by Cingular (or ATT) back then to suppliment the 1900. 850 was not meant to be the mainstream / industry standard.

anyways, it's a nice phone. but I like the W800 or W550 a little better :)

You need to check where you are. I live in CA and I use tmobile whcih has native 1900, but if you use Cingular in this area, you will be switching over to only Cingular's network once they finish off constructing their entire network and handing their old network to Tmobile. You might be left with only the old ATT Blue towers if you don't have 850, but I'm positive that new Orange towers are not only 850. Cingular has enough 1900 towers in addition to 850s thare are coming in so that you should be fine with a triband phone.

K750 is awesome and I had one until I drowned it. Thank you for not getting a Razr.

chuckywang

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Originally posted by: doze
Looking at a Sony Ericsson K750i new unlocked for about $250 but never used a Sony phone before. Reviews seem to be good but you never know. I know there are newer models but this is my price range. I plan to use it mainly as a phone but buying for the combo MP3 player and 2MP digital camera (I do not currently own either device) which will be useful since it takes sony memory stick.

Would like to hear problems, compalints, recommendations for another similar unlocked GSM phone.

Yeah, it's a pretty good phone. It has everything that I want in a phone, and I use it for a lot more than just making calls. It's actually become my camera as well. I just wish the reception was a little better, but I'm not sure if that's the phone or Cingular.

chuckywang

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
I bought one on ebay that came with a 1GB memory stick, headphone adapter, 2 clear cases, a "holster", a car charger, and a bunch of other accessories. Came out to $295 shipped.

I put a couple hundred songs on it, it can play MP3s and WAVs. It does not like WMAs. The pictures are pretty good, and it has all the adjustments that a digital camera has (that I don't know how to use. What's a white balance?)

It doesn't really matter if you have Cingular or T-Mobile. I have Cingular and I use the T-Mobile towers to make calls all the time since there's no roaming charges. So far, Cingular has not cancelled my account.

xanis

Lifer
Sep 11, 2005
I have a Sony Ericsson Z520a and I love it. It has incredible battery life, the screen is crisp and clear (despite some scratches on the plastic) and the camera takes decent videos/pictures. It's also nice and small, fits in the pocket nicely, and most importantly has good reception and sound clarity.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: chuckywang

It doesn't really matter if you have Cingular or T-Mobile. I have Cingular and I use the T-Mobile towers to make calls all the time since there's no roaming charges. So far, Cingular has not cancelled my account.

I got no cingular service with the phone, at all.

doze

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2005
Bump for the night crew, anybody else have expereince with the 750i or other Sony phone?

chuckywang

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004

But you can use T-Mobile's towers if you wanted. Just go to Menu->Settings->Connectivity->Mobile Networks->Select Network

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003

But you can use T-Mobile's towers if you wanted. Just go to Menu->Settings->Connectivity->Mobile Networks->Select Network

Tried it. Didn't work. Cingular doesn't lease from T-Mobile in this area.

Imported

Lifer
Sep 2, 2000
I have the W800.. awesome phone. On Cingular with no problems.. but I am in a large metro area in CA so I get to use T-Mobile towers too. Itching to upgrade to a W850 though.. that phone just screams at me to buy it.

Imported

Lifer
Sep 2, 2000
Haven't tried it. Heard it's not bad though. Personally, I just use a screen protector on my W800 and don't worry much about the housing. Still looks new to me.