Sony ends welcome back program early

v8envy

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2002
Go Sony! Turns out the Welcome Back program ended at *9 AM* on the 3rd. So anyone waiting to the last minute to take advantage of it - HA HA.

Seriously, this is why I like Xbox Live. How hard would it have been not to cause ill will by people going "WTF?" by having it expire at 12:01 on the 4th, in the latest time zone?

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
You had a month, how lazy are you?

Besides, at 12:00:01 AM MS would already have charged the credit card you'd cancelled and couldn't remove from their system, for a year of Live Gold at full $60 list price.

Last edited:

v8envy

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2002
29 days and ~9 hours, technically. Not whining too hard about two games I wasn't that hot to get, just pointing out another Sony WTF.

v8envy

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2002
Yup, links to the welcome back program are still up, etc, etc. And wording on some pages is goes THROUGH 7/3. If they wanted it dead on 7/2, wouldn't it have made more sense to say "goes through 7/2?" and turn the servers after every timezone in the world rolls to 7/3?

The problem is: the whole point of this promo was to make people sour on PSN less sour on Sony. Looking at forums/feedback it looks like there's at least a few hundred people (including myself) who are now going, "Yup, as competent as ever. Can't even gets promo dates right."

Yes, obviously I wasn't so intent on getting the two free games and the Plus as to do it earlier (if at all), but after my experience today the end result for me is: there's no way I'm trusting these monkeys with credit card details. Ever.

Even support peons had no idea 7/3 actually meant 7/2. Some thought it ended on midnight on 7/2, some at 9 am this morning.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I actually never got my second game either. I knew I wanted inFAMOUS, but I could never really make up my mind on the second one. Oh well, I barely use my consoles as it is. :p

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Yup, links to the welcome back program are still up, etc, etc. And wording on some pages is goes THROUGH 7/3. If they wanted it dead on 7/2, wouldn't it have made more sense to say "goes through 7/2?" and turn the servers after every timezone in the world rolls to 7/3?

The problem is: the whole point of this promo was to make people sour on PSN less sour on Sony. Looking at forums/feedback it looks like there's at least a few hundred people (including myself) who are now going, "Yup, as competent as ever. Can't even gets promo dates right."

Yes, obviously I wasn't so intent on getting the two free games and the Plus as to do it earlier (if at all), but after my experience today the end result for me is: there's no way I'm trusting these monkeys with credit card details. Ever.

Even support peons had no idea 7/3 actually meant 7/2. Some thought it ended on midnight on 7/2, some at 9 am this morning.

???

In your OP you said it ended today on the third and you're complaining about it ending in the third.

onlyCOpunk

Platinum Member
May 25, 2003
I didn't even get my free games. I went through the whole process of selecting them and they never downloaded. Now the two "credits" are gone?

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I'd put off getting the second game until last week, but got it. Is there any deal with 'plus' I should consider, is it still available today?

v8envy

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2002
Q: When will I have access to the Welcome Back Program?
A: The content offered as part of the Welcome Back Program is available for download today and will be available through July 3.

It ended *yesterday*, the 2nd. I can see how either interpretation of the language is correct. Now, is it good customer service to go with the more lenient or the stricter interpretation? That's my point.

Tristicus

Diamond Member
Feb 2, 2008
www.wallpapereuphoria.com
Go Sony! Turns out the Welcome Back program ended at *9 AM* on the 3rd. So anyone waiting to the last minute to take advantage of it - HA HA.

Seriously, this is why I like Xbox Live. How hard would it have been not to cause ill will by people going "WTF?" by having it expire at 12:01 on the 4th, in the latest time zone?

A: The content offered as part of the Welcome Back Program is available for download today and will be available through July 3.

It ended *yesterday*, the 2nd.
I can see how either interpretation of the language is correct. Now, is it good customer service to go with the more lenient or the stricter interpretation? That's my point.

Derp.

arredondo

Sep 17, 2004
I didn't even get my free games. I went through the whole process of selecting them and they never downloaded. Now the two "credits" are gone?

Hey buddy, if you did select them before the deadline they are in your download list. Go to the XMB menu and select: Account Management, Transaction Management, Services List, SCEA Promotions. Your two free games should be there.

To the OP, failed troll attempt. Get a life.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004

It ended *yesterday*, the 2nd. I can see how either interpretation of the language is correct. Now, is it good customer service to go with the more lenient or the stricter interpretation? That's my point.

In the op you said it ended today, everywhere I read said it ended today. Blogs said it ended today. I don't understand what you're complaining about. The only complaining I see are from people that expected it to end at midnight tonight. Today is july 3 and it ended today. You make no sense.

v8envy

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2002
In the op you said it ended today, everywhere I read said it ended today. Blogs said it ended today. I don't understand what you're complaining about. The only complaining I see are from people that expected it to end at midnight tonight. Today is july 3 and it ended today. You make no sense.

No, I think you've got it. People expected the promo to end at midnight and are now complaining because they were wrong. Why? Misleading language.

Good CS leading to happy customers: meet customer expectations.
Bad CS leading to unhappy customers: don't meed customer expectations.

I'd say PSN did the second, and not because I'm butthurt about not downloading two games I probably would never had the interest or time to play.

Also, the 9am is something I got from one CS. A second (cell phone connection dropped) said it was midnight on the 2nd. No derping needed.

Tristicus

Diamond Member
Feb 2, 2008
www.wallpapereuphoria.com
troll_boat.jpg

badb0y

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2010
What kind of a moron waits to pick the games at the last minute? For the Playstation Plus subscription it makes sense but really does it take you a month to choose 2 games.

GTFO.

Thraxen

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
It does say "through" the 3rd. That clearly means available today. That's not debatable. However, people did have plenty of time. Still, Sony was kind of stupid here. Why risk the bad press?