Sony Delays The Last of Us Part II and Marvel's Iron Man VR Until Further Notice

JPB

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2005
Sony Delays The Last of Us Part II and Marvel's Iron Man VR Until Further Notice - News

Sony Interactive Entertainment today announced it has delayed the release of two of their upcoming games, The Last of Us Part II and Marvel’s Iron Man VR, from May 29 and May 25, respectively, until further noticed. The games were delayed to the ongoing coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

Sony added that there are no other games being delayed at this time, however, they will keep fans updated.

"SIE has made the difficult decision to delay the launch of The Last of Us Part II and Marvel's Iron Man VR until further notice," said Sony in a Tweet. "Logistically, the global crisis is preventing us from providing the launch experience our players deserve.

"Currently, there are no other delays to report, but we'll keep you updated," Sony added in a followup Tweet.

Read a message from Naughty Dog below on the delay of The Last of Us Part II:
As you’ve likely just seen, the release of The Last of Us Part II has been delayed. We’re sure this news is just as disappointing to you as it is to us. We wanted to reach out to all of you in our community to give you a little more information.
The good news is, we’re nearly done with development of The Last of Us Part II. We are in the midst of fixing our final bugs.
However, even with us finishing the game, we were faced with the reality that due to logistics beyond our control, we couldn’t launch The Last of Us Part II to our satisfaction. We want to make sure everyone gets to play The Last of Us Part II around the same time, ensuring that we’re doing everything possible to preserve the best experience for everyone. This meant delaying the game until such a time where we can solve these logistic issues.
We were bummed about this decision, but ultimately understood it’s what’s best and fair to all of our players. We’re hoping that this won’t be a long delay and we’ll update you as soon as we have new information to share.
We wish you all, your families, and your friends the best of health. Thank you for being amazing fans and your continued support.
Stay safe!
—Naughty Dog

EUngGYJUcAAheEq

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
It's expected, they aren't going to release a game during this time where they won't get as many sales. I'm sure they were in the middle of finishing development when everyone was told to work from home.

I was really looking forward to this title. Still am, but good to know development is almost done. Hopefully by the time the world gets back to normal, it will be ready to be released.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
If Cyberpunk gets pushed back I will do horrible things to the neighbors cat.
From what I remember cd project red didn't have any issue with just releasing digital. But hey at this rate I will be as upset as you. Despite not having any gaming time during the quarintene.

With lots of people working from home I'm sure productivity has been impacted.

Dranoche

Jul 6, 2009
Ars Technica's article on this last week reported that per Sony's quarterly earnings reports about half of all full-game sales on the PS4 are physical copies.

I know plenty of people still prefer physical copies, and bandwidth caps are a sad reality for many more, but it's a lot higher than I would have guessed.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
If they did digital only then they would lose all of those sales from the idiots who buy the $200 collectors editions that include $5 junk. The margin on those has to be incredible so there is no way they would waste that opportunity just to rush it out. They know no matter when it is released, it's going to be a hit. They aren't losing any sales by not putting it out.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Saw an article here saying amazon had a date of June 26th which is similar to that game ghosts of tsushima.

I bet Sony and ND are working out the simulations of if a digital release makes sense financially more than anything. Even if the world went back to normal next month, you still need the factories to open, physical copies to be made and shipped. This will take a lot of time and I wonder if they would lose more money waiting than not but delaying also puts strain on the development company's projects or the investors not getting their portion. Not to mention I don't think the PSN network could handle an all digital release for such a popular title.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Not sure if you guys have been following but last of us part 2 story has been leaked everywhere. Someone has been direct messaging users on YouTube and Reddit spoilers regarding the story.

The Reddit last of us section is now locked. Shortly after, PlayStation announced they will push ghosts of tsushima to July and release last of us part 2 June 19th.

Sucks that they pushed out ghosts when that game was ready to come June 26th but oh well.

Reactions: RearAdmiral

RearAdmiral

Platinum Member
Jun 24, 2004
Not sure if you guys have been following but last of us part 2 story has been leaked everywhere. Someone has been direct messaging users on YouTube and Reddit spoilers regarding the story.

The Reddit last of us section is now locked. Shortly after, PlayStation announced they will push ghosts of tsushima to July and release last of us part 2 June 19th.

Sucks that they pushed out ghosts when that game was ready to come June 26th but oh well.

I just finished playing through Last of Us remastered for the first time, so good timing for me that the sequel is coming out shortly, but annoying that i can't lookup anything about the game without ruining it now.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I just finished playing through Last of Us remastered for the first time, so good timing for me that the sequel is coming out shortly, but annoying that i can't lookup anything about the game without ruining it now.
Yea don't even bother. I've already had a bullet list of spoilers sent to my Reddit inbox. I had to quickly report the user and delete the message without glancing too long. I didn't see anything important and I'm glad but try and stay away from searching anything about it as some sites even have them in the title. Same with YouTube there may be videos with them in the title.

Apparently a disgruntled developer leaked everything since they felt they were underpaid or something.

RearAdmiral

Platinum Member
Jun 24, 2004
Yea don't even bother. I've already had a bullet list of spoilers sent to my Reddit inbox. I had to quickly report the user and delete the message without glancing too long. I didn't see anything important and I'm glad but try and stay away from searching anything about it as some sites even have them in the title. Same with YouTube there may be videos with them in the title.

Apparently a disgruntled developer leaked everything since they felt they were underpaid or something.

Lame. I somehow avoided spoilers for the first one for 7 years though. It was a pretty great game, but way too easy on normal. I had to go around and kill every single person, which made it a bit tougher.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Its hard to do the standard release crunch when people in some states/locations are not allowed out at night. Those final release pushes would see 20+hour days from many of the various developers for weeks before the release (as well as the internal testing staff, but that seems to be being skipped more and more now, simply letting the public buy it and report the problems and patch it since the internet and current consoles/computers allow for patches to a game).