Question Sony BWU-500S Desktop Blu-Ray drive Won’t Read

chane

Apr 18, 2010
https://www.cnet.com/products/sony-optiarc-bwu-500s-bd-re-drive-serial-ata-internal/

Circa 2010, installed the drive and the Cyberlink powerDVD 9 in an old Dell Dimension 8300, Windows XP Pro Service pack 2, which always runs fine. Naturally, I keep this old pc off the internet and use it only for redundant file backup and sometimes for music, DVD movies.

Checked the BWU-500S’s power and data cables. Device Manager says the drive is enabled and is operating normally. But after I inserted a DVD movie I didn't hear the motor spin up to read it. I barely got any use out of this drive so how likely that any optical or electromechanical parts would be defective? And in Windows Explorer when I click on the drive it says to insert a disc, which I already did. Is a corrupt driver file most likely the problem?

So I went here https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/results?query=bwu500s and entered the model number of the BD optical drive but no support available. I then had no option but click on another Sony support page and found no optical drive or computer accessories to click on, except for Sony VAIO computers, which I knew Sony no longer supports. I then tried to log on to Sony Community forum but my password didn't work. I then tried to reset my password but refused to enter my birthday; none of the dozens of forums I have joined ever asked me that. What to do next?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Checked the BWU-500S’s power and data cables. Device Manager says the drive is enabled and is operating normally. But after I inserted a DVD movie I didn't hear the motor spin up to read it. I barely got any use out of this drive so how likely that any optical or electromechanical parts would be defective? And in Windows Explorer when I click on the drive it says to insert a disc, which I already did. Is a corrupt driver file most likely the problem?
My guess would be the drive is dead after 10-11 years of use. If it's not connected to the internet, a corrupt driver is extremely unlikely.