Sony Bravia XBR KDL-46XBR8 46-Inch 1080p 120Hz Triluminos LED LCD HDTV

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
does anybody have one of these?? I looked at the vizio equivalent at costco and it looked like crap. The sony LED edge lit LCD blew the vizio away. But costco doesn't have the triluminos yet. amazon.com has the 46" for aprox 1900.00.

SLCentral

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2003
This is a good TV - originally sold for $5K and was considered the best LCD available at the time. I remember it was the only LED we sold that could even hold a candle to the Pioneer/Pioneer Elite's. No, not quite as good, but the next best thing.

I haven't looked at ANY of the new 2010 sets though, so I don't know if this is still true.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
This is a good TV - originally sold for $5K and was considered the best LCD available at the time. I remember it was the only LED we sold that could even hold a candle to the Pioneer/Pioneer Elite's. No, not quite as good, but the next best thing.

I haven't looked at ANY of the new 2010 sets though, so I don't know if this is still true.

it's hard to find. costco only sells sony edge lit LCD's and they look great. the amazon.com price is good but would much rather buy from costco. and amazon doesn't double carton. They ship using the mfgr's carton with full product display graphic outside of carton-crazy.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
does anybody have one of these?? I looked at the vizio equivalent at costco and it looked like crap. The sony LED edge lit LCD blew the vizio away. But costco doesn't have the triluminos yet. amazon.com has the 46" for aprox 1900.00.

First off, there is no Vizio equivalent to the XBR8. Secondly, if you are comparing a Vizio to an XBR8, of course it's going to look like crap. Sony XBR8 >>>>>>>>>>> Vizio *. Costco also doesn't sell high end TVs, so if you want an XBR8, I suggest checking out your local Best Buy (Magnolia). They have the 46" XBR8 for $1999.

I would also highly recommend Amazon. I don't understand the "double-carton" issue, but Amazon has a hell of a delivery service. They call and schedule an appointment with you when you'll be home, and they help you bring it in. I've purchased a few HDTVs from them, and their service is great.

Last edited:

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
You have a Sony Outlet near you? The one in Wrentham, MA was trying to unload them 6 months ago. They were selling them for $1500 or $1600. I decided to save money instead and get the z5100 for around $950.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
First off, there is no Vizio equivalent to the XBR8. Secondly, if you are comparing a Vizio to an XBR8, of course it's going to look like crap. Sony XBR8 >>>>>>>>>>> Vizio *. Costco also doesn't sell high end TVs, so if you want an XBR8, I suggest checking out your local Best Buy (Magnolia). They have the 46" XBR8 for $1999.

I would also highly recommend Amazon. I don't understand the "double-cartoon" issue, but Amazon has a hell of a delivery service. They call and schedule an appointment with you when you'll be home, and they help you bring it in. I've purchased a few HDTVs from them, and their service is great.

thanks for the info. The vizio was their The VF552XVT 55” TruLED which uses LED backlight technology behind the LCD. I compared the vizio to a sony LED edge lit LCD.

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The Sony XBR8 is hands down the best LCD display I've ever seen. They were discontinued a while ago and like the Kuros for plasmas are well worth it if you can still find one for a decent price. Only potential downside is the viewing angle on them isn't stellar by today's standards.

SLCentral

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2003
They're also thick as hell. Significantly thicker than most LCD/plasmas. Obviously still wall-mountable, but its not a thin set. Not a big deal for me, but may be for some.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
They're also thick as hell. Significantly thicker than most LCD/plasmas. Obviously still wall-mountable, but its not a thin set. Not a big deal for me, but may be for some.

Yep, and a good alternative to the XBR8 is the new Sony HX909. From what I've been reading, it is at least as good as the XBR8, and MUCH sexier looking. Beautiful looking set. The downside, it costs more than the XBR8.

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
From what I've been reading, it is at least as good as the XBR8

I haven't seen the HX909 in person yet bet it is getting fairly badly slammed in the reviews I have seen- poor uniformity, terrible blooming, reflection issues, poor color accuracy(blue push), poor SD performance, poor off angle(although slightly better then the XBR8)- the only thing I've seen stated it does well is handle black levels(where it barely edged out the XBR8). Pretty much, what I have read states that it is an absolutely terrible display compared to the XBR8 although it is much cheaper then the XBR8 was when new. Again though, I have yet to see one in person.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
did sony dump their triluminos technology? don't see it mentioned in the xbr-9 and beyond.