Sony 200-Disc DVD/CD Burner/Media Changer @ B&H for $99+shipping

BrokenVisage

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/...Changer.html&KBID=1178

There were a few other sites that just recently marked these down to $99 as well but they're all sold out now. This site had it marked OOS this afternoon as well and now it's back in stock so jump on it while you can. Reviews on Amazon seem pretty good and if you do the math (4.74gb * 200 discs) it gives you 940 gigs of storage for ~$125. Not bad at all, just make sure it's right for your system before buying.

cganesh75

Elite Member | For Sale/Trade
Super Moderator
Oct 8, 2005
Abt electronics and vanns have these for free shipping.. also they are on back orders everywhere include sonystyle.com...

zephyrprime

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
Originally posted by: BrokenVisage
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/...Changer.html&KBID=1178

There were a few other sites that just recently marked these down to $99 as well but they're all sold out now. This site had it marked OOS this afternoon as well and now it's back in stock so jump on it while you can. Reviews on Amazon seem pretty good and if you do the math (4.74gb * 200 discs) it gives you 940 gigs of storage for ~$125. Not bad at all, just make sure it's right for your system before buying.

Most dvd's I've looked at, even cheap ones, are actually dual layer I've found. So it's actually more like 7-8gb * 200 worth of storage.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Interesting product. I guess basically it is an external Firewire DVD burner... which just happens to be able to hold 200 discs. Specs say that the operating system needs to be WinXP MCE, Vista Home Premium or Vista Ultimate. Has anyone gotten this to work with regular XP?

erwos

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2005
They had them at SonyStyle the other day, too, with free shipping (but with sales tax). Definitely a really nice deal, considering it can pretend to be a normal external DVD drive, too. I bit on one, although they were OoS, so who knows when they'll ship?

One word of warning: Media Center _cannot_ stream DVDs to extenders (eg, the 360). It's a feature requested often on TGB, so maybe Microsoft will enable it someday (HD-DVD and Blu-Ray could use the same functionality!), and if we're lucky, in the next Media Center update. Certainly, the prices of the changers have come down so far that it's hard for them to argue that it's a niche feature. My TV tuners cost more than this thing!

BrokenVisage

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
It looks like this will work with XP no problem, apparently it comes with software for XP/2K it's just that Vista can support it natively. Hope some of you were able to get in on this before it went OOS (knew it would go fast even with shipping costs) if not keep an eye out for the one at Vanns, apparently they'll be getting more in by the 3rd week in November, free shipping with them as well. GL

erwos

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2005
Nothing has replaced it yet. Maybe you could expect to see a similar product when Media Center comes out with Blu-Ray support.