Sometimes I think it's crazy that this world we live in can support current tech out of rocks and soil in the ground.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 4, 2009
Well depending upon time and location and level of advancement, with radio communications we'd be able to find other civilizations with only a couple hundred year delay or far less. There's quite a few potentially life-supporting planets within a couple hundred light years. Granted, we've only been broadcasting for a little over 100 years ourselves. Could be quite some time before any potential advanced civilizations like us become known, and much longer still before any of us make contact with one another. Unless some other species is that much further ahead and discovers our broadcasts soon and can travel remotely close to the speed of light, let alone FTL, we'll probably appear alone for some time.

I'd expect life itself to be more common in the grand vastness of the galaxy, let alone the universe, but how many actually become advanced enough with technology, and how many survive the test of time, that's the real question.

That’s part of the point, all radio signals are gone if we never exist concurrently.
As in the hundreds of years away radio signals may have happened one million years ago. All ours may suffer the same fate.

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
I'd expect life itself to be more common in the grand vastness of the galaxy, let alone the universe, but how many actually become advanced enough with technology, and how many survive the test of time, that's the real question.

185afb32414819.5605bc7d39df1.png

1920 × 1536

Reactions: destrekor