sometimes i have to wonder what the marketing people creating surveys are smoking

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
i do paid surveys.

current one i'm doing is about cellular service providers. ok, i've got a phone, and i know of a lot of providers.

what provider does it ask me about? amp'd mobile. which went bankrupt and stopped providing service. and which i never had service with. they ask me things like how their customer service and billing were. i have no clue, but right now i assume it's non-existent.

then it asks me, if amp'd were a person, what traits would it have? other than 'annoying' and 'broke' i have no idea.

then it asks me to match celebrities with providers based on which provider is the closest fit with the celeb's personality. what. the. fuck.

and no, i've never heard of the service provider 'iPhone' either. if you mean apple's new gadget, yes i've heard of it. but that isn't the question you asked you marketing tool.

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Some of the survey folks are very good at what they do and can gather some excellent data and then analyze it very well, but that's a small minority of them, because many of them are nothing short of idiots on a payroll.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'm also baffled by some of the questions, like the one I got on a survey the other day.

It was something like "Which of these describes <brand of shampoo>?" and there was about 30 attributes listed. You could choose as many as you wanted. The attributes included ridiculous choices like friendly, energetic, confident and sincere.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: kranky
I'm also baffled by some of the questions, like the one I got on a survey the other day.

It was something like "Which of these describes <brand of shampoo>?" and there was about 30 attributes listed. You could choose as many as you wanted. The attributes included ridiculous choices like friendly, energetic, confident and sincere.

its probably just a generic survey where all they have to do is plug in a product name.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: AgaBoogaBoo
Some of the survey folks are very good at what they do and can gather some excellent data and then analyze it very well, but that's a small minority of them, because many of them are nothing short of idiots on a payroll.

Well stated. They're just justifying their paycheck.

fredhe12

Apr 6, 2006
A lot of surveys are constructed in such a way to get desired results as well. What people don't realize sometimes is that surveys are often done on behalf of clients by companies that are trying to convince said clients that they need that company's service based on the survey's "non-biased" results.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: fredhe12
A lot of surveys are constructed in such a way to get desired results as well. What people don't realize sometimes is that surveys are often done on behalf of clients by companies that are trying to convince said clients that they need that company's service based on the survey's "non-biased" results.

heck, some of these surveys look like they're actually trying to sell me something.