Something to think about for a moment

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
No bank was ever forced to make a bad loan. Period.

And like I said, Bush expanded upon Clinton's programs in this regard aggressively. Still, they were not the cause of this. Those loans perform in line with prime loans. The cause was the toxic subprime made by independent mortgage companies with no force or even help from the govt or Fannie Mae, and sold mostly to Wall Street and foreign banks.

I'd love to see this report from your dad's financial planner.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: daniel49
Originally posted by: SparkyJJO
I said the first part about the economic downturn as a result of democrats taking power in congress more of tongue-in-cheek. Obviously it had been percolating longer than that.

Rainsford, you are taking it out a bit extreme. Yes people create their own problems as well. Point is, government intervention tends to screw things up worse.

Oh, that info about government/Clinton pushing these mortgages? That isn't from me. That is from the research of my dad's economist/investment advisor/whatever he's called. If I had his report in front of me I'd type it all out, it was a good read about the current state of the economy, the bad mortgages, and all that.

Vic, I'm more concerned about liberals enslaving us. They are just as power hungry as republicans, if not worse. That's why I don't vote by party, but by platform, by who they are, not necessarily what party they are a part of. The party is just a place to start, odds are greater that I'd agree with a republican than a democrat, but that isn't always the case.

stop it sparky. we don't allow common sense here.:laugh:

What he posted here and in his OP is not common sense. or even truthful (as I have documented a dozen times over), and his last paragraph only emphasized what I was saying earlier.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: SparkyJJO
I said the first part about the economic downturn as a result of democrats taking power in congress more of tongue-in-cheek. Obviously it had been percolating longer than that.

Rainsford, you are taking it out a bit extreme. Yes people create their own problems as well. Point is, government intervention tends to screw things up worse.

I agree that in certain cases this is true, but in certain cases it is not. The only extreme viewpoint here is the idea that it's always one way or the other, a viewpoint I see held by several conservatives in this thread, and not a single liberal. The opposite viewpoint from yours would be that government is ALWAYS the answer and we should abolish free markets, which is no less silly than the idea that government is NEVER the answer.

Oh, that info about government/Clinton pushing these mortgages? That isn't from me. That is from the research of my dad's economist/investment advisor/whatever he's called. If I had his report in front of me I'd type it all out, it was a good read about the current state of the economy, the bad mortgages, and all that.

I'm not saying that wasn't a contributing factor (although blaming Clinton seems a little strange considering you're giving Bush a pass because he's just the President), I'm saying that it's not the ONLY factor, which seems to be the point you're trying to make.

Vic, I'm more concerned about liberals enslaving us. They are just as power hungry as republicans, if not worse. That's why I don't vote by party, but by platform, by who they are, not necessarily what party they are a part of. The party is just a place to start, odds are greater that I'd agree with a republican than a democrat, but that isn't always the case.

Anybody who votes "liberal" vs "conservative" is just as bad, if not worse, than someone who votes party line...and for the same reason that party line voting is dumb. I'm about as liberal as you can get in this country, and I'm not anti-conservative...I just don't agree with many conservative ideas. But if it's a good one, I'll support it. Ideas should drive who you vote for, not labels, whatever type they might be.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Rainsford
Anybody who votes "liberal" vs "conservative" is just as bad, if not worse, than someone who votes party line...and for the same reason that party line voting is dumb. I'm about as liberal as you can get in this country, and I'm not anti-conservative...I just don't agree with many conservative ideas. But if it's a good one, I'll support it. Ideas should drive who you vote for, not labels, whatever type they might be.

"Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people." -- Eleanor Roosevelt, truer words never spoke.