Something saved my right eye today.

Ultima

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 1999
I work nights at a shipping warehouse, and we use exacto knives to cut the wrapping away from skids. While opening up one skid today, I guess my exacto knife was extended too far, or my angle was bad, I was using too much force, or something, because the blade shattered into several pieces. For some reason though, a split second before the blade shattered I looked left. One of the shards of blade smacked into my right cheek as I heard the blade shattering, I only flinched after the shard hit me. If my head hadn't been turned, it would have hit my right eye.

It ended up being nothing really cause it hit my cheek, but I just think Damn!, what if I hadn't turned my head just before it shattered? There was no noise or anything to attract my attention, there was no reason at all for me to turn my head. Was it my subconscious? Something external? Who knows. I'm just deeply grateful that my eyesight is safe... that shard of metal hit me pretty hard :)

Colt45

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
maybe you should start using a solid knife, or wear safety glasses

;) <-- you with one eye

Xionide

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2002
Originally posted by: Ultima
I work nights at a shipping warehouse, and we use exacto knives to cut the wrapping away from skids. While opening up one skid today, I guess my exacto knife was extended too far, or my angle was bad, I was using too much force, or something, because the blade shattered into several pieces. For some reason though, a split second before the blade shattered I looked left. One of the shards of blade smacked into my right cheek as I heard the blade shattering, I only flinched after the shard hit me. If my head hadn't been turned, it would have hit my right eye.

It ended up being nothing really cause it hit my cheek, but I just think Damn!, what if I hadn't turned my head just before it shattered? There was no noise or anything to attract my attention, there was no reason at all for me to turn my head. Was it my subconscious? Something external? Who knows. I'm just deeply grateful that my eyesight is safe... that shard of metal hit me pretty hard :)

You should take it as a sign and wear safety glasses for now on.

slydecix

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2001
I was standing facing my friend this one time when we were messing around with golf clubs and practice balls. He swung and for some reason, the ball went perpendicular to where it was supposed to go and it came right at my face. It shattered the right lens of my glasses and i had cuts 1cm below my right eye... freaky stuff

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I was riding my bike in a small Louisiana town, and I was in the woods and tumbled down a hill.

In Louisiana there are trees with large (say 5" or so) spines all over them. When I opened my eyes, I was 1" away from one of those spines going right in to my pupil. :Q