something is VERY wrong..."-5V - Out of Threshold"!!!! helpppp

Skyblazer

Sep 15, 2000
I've got an ASUS A7V mobo with a VIA Apollo KT133 Chipset, Thunderbird 800mhz (an easily overclockable one), 128mb mushkin ram, and more...
The Asus Probe program that comes with the ASUS motherboard shows different voltages and temperatures.
Everything is fine with that except for "-5V", it has a value of -5.514, and the status blinks "-5V Out of Threshold!!" and my computer speakers beep twice every second. Also under the "Voltage Monitor" the graph shows a red line where "-5V" is, and it blinks "-5.514", sometimes it moves down to "-4.49". What does this mean?? It sounds like its something that needs to be fixed.

Also when I run 3dMark 2000 and do CPU test, i get a score of 199 on that test, while others with my CPU get scores of 400+..please help!!!

- Skyblazer

MGOtis

Oct 11, 2000
I have gotten that same warning on my ABit BX-6 Rev. 2 running a Cel 366@550. It beeps at me and stuff, but it hasn't caused any apparent problems. I'm not worrying about it, I just disable the monitor on that through the software so it'll stop that damn beeping. ;)

O

dude

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 1999
It just means your power supply is fluctuating too much.

From -5.514 to -4.49, that's quite a large margine! Since your otherboard receives the -5v, you won't damage your hard drives and peripherials that run on 12v. But your motherboard does run on 5v. This will most likely cause some instability.

solution: change your power supply.

DaddyG

Banned
Mar 24, 2000
-5v is not used for much. Your COMM ports use it but little else. Your -5v probably has regulation to +/- 10% so its not a big deal.