Question Something is loose in a new 150 Watt AC Adapter that I purchased for my Asus ROG laptop.

jbryson149

Feb 9, 2019
I purchased a new Generic 150 Watt AC Adapter for my older (2011 Model) Asus ROG laptop, and right away (as soon as I took it out of the package) I heard something is loose, rattling around inside the power brick of the AC Adapter, so I am too scared to plug it in.

Does anyone know if it would be dangerous to plug it in, or should I not take the risk?

I have owned a lot of laptops over the last 15 years, and I have never heard anything rattling inside the power brick.

It just seems very strange to me.

By the way, I have purchased many Generic AC Adapters in the past, and they always worked just fine (never heard anything loose inside them though).

Thanks for any thoughts about this.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
It could be a loose component, a loose screw, or maybe even a piece of metal. Send it back for a refund.

I would personally only use an adapter from a known company (never some generic no-name model), but to each their own. The loose item could be indicative of the overall (lack of) quality of the unit you went with.

jbryson149

Feb 9, 2019
It could be a loose component, a loose screw, or maybe even a piece of metal. Send it back for a refund.

I would personally only use an adapter from a known company (never some generic no-name model), but to each their own. The loose item could be indicative of the overall (lack of) quality of the unit you went with.

Yeah, It was the cheapest 150 Watt (compatible) adapter that I could find, at about $18. The genuine ones are a lot more expensive (at least $35 I think, used), and I never had any issues with the Generic adapters in the past.