Something I don't get about the Paul Ryan plan to privatize Medicare

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
If Ryan's plan was to become law tomorrow, seniors 55 and older are exempt from having to participate in the privatization, i.e., the government will still be paying for their medical expenses.

According to the HHS, health care reform added 12 years to Medicare's solvency, that is 2029. If you don't buy what HHS says or if it gets repealed/overturned, then it becomes insolvent in 2017.

The oldest baby boomers born in 1946 are already 65. The youngest baby boomers born in 1954 are 57. They will turn 65 and become eligible for Medicare in 8 years or 2019.

In 2029, the oldest baby boomers will be 83 years old if they're still around. In the 2029, the youngest baby boomers will be 75.

So how does exempting seniors 55 and older from Medicare privatization fix the budget and Medicare from the retiring baby boomers?

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
If Ryan's plan was to become law tomorrow, seniors 55 and older are exempt from having to participate in the privatization, i.e., the government will still be paying for their medical expenses.

According to the HHS, health care reform added 12 years to Medicare's solvency, that is 2029. If you don't buy what HHS says or if it gets repealed/overturned, then it becomes insolvent in 2017.

The oldest baby boomers born in 1946 are already 65. The youngest baby boomers born in 1954 are 57. They will turn 65 and become eligible for Medicare in 8 years or 2019.

In 2029, the oldest baby boomers will be 83 years old if they're still around. In the 2029, the youngest baby boomers will be 75.

So how does exempting seniors 55 and older from Medicare privatization fix the budget and Medicare from the retiring baby boomers?
Not sure if this changes your thinking, but baby boomers run from 1946 to 1964 according to the US Census. I am one, as is President Obama.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
It's a scam. BTW, Republicans attacked Obama for proposing Medicare use its purchasing power to drive down costs as rationing and price controls.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Ryan's plan basically means ""YOUR"" mom and dad will be living with YOU when they are in their 70's. YOU will be buying mom n dads pills/drugs. YOU will be paying for their doctors and surgeries. YOU !!!!!

Most all of you have parents. Sit down and figure out if you want mommie and daddie living in your spare guest room, relying on you to pay for their expensises FOREVER!

It’s your desiccion...

I love it when republicans were asked about Ryan's plan for those under 65. The answer from republicans was those under 65 "WILL HAVE TO ADJUST".
You know what that means? Two white haired 70 year olds living in your basement or guest room. Our new word for today... "ADJUST"! (and the republicans future Medicare plan for seniors)
I LOVE THIS!!!!! lol hehehe :D

masteryoda34

Golden Member
Dec 17, 2007
Ryan's plan basically means ""YOUR"" mom and dad will be living with YOU when they are in their 70's. YOU will be buying mom n dads pills/drugs. YOU will be paying for their doctors and surgeries. YOU !!!!!

Most all of you have parents. Sit down and figure out if you want mommie and daddie living in your spare guest room, relying on you to pay for their expensises FOREVER!

It’s your desiccion...

I love it when republicans were asked about Ryan's plan for those under 65. The answer from republicans was those under 65 "WILL HAVE TO ADJUST".
You know what that means? Two white haired 70 year olds living in your basement or guest room. Our new word for today... "ADJUST"! (and the republicans future Medicare plan for seniors)

To be fair "YOU" are going to be paying for your parents medicare, under the plan of anyone, albeit indirectly.

JimW1949

Mar 22, 2011
To be fair "YOU" are going to be paying for your parents medicare, under the plan of anyone, albeit indirectly.
I don't see how, my parents have been dead for several years. Is someone going to dig them up and give them some pills?

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005

I don't understand - Obamacare cuts medicare by $500 billion, but democrats think that's great and it will make medicare better. But when republicans propose adding market forces to medicare without directly cutting it, democrats scream that republicans are cutting senior's health benefits and that millions will have to resort to eating dogfood and living on the streets. :hmm:

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Democrats cut from subsidized add-on called Medicare Advantage. It's a huge profit center for private insurance.

I believe Republicans plan changes basic Medicare funding. If anyone thinks health insurance companies will improve costs, why is Medicare the lowest cost provider right now ?

Doesn't add up. Why would it work ?

Last edited:

JimW1949

Mar 22, 2011
Democrats cut from subsidized add-on called Medicare Advantage. It's a huge profit center for private insurance.
I am sure you are correct, I had heard the same thing from two or three sources. But I also remember reading about trying to identify the waste, fraud and abuse from the system. That would be a big savings too.

masteryoda34

Golden Member
Dec 17, 2007
I don't see how, my parents have been dead for several years. Is someone going to dig them up and give them some pills?

Sorry to hear about your parents.

But I clearly did not intend the word "you" in a literal way. Likewise, I am going to assume that yours is not a literal question either.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
god dammit why didnt obama just leave in the public option and called his program "medicare for all"?

it wasnt even government healthcare. it was government insurance. we all love government insurance, its in all of our banks. even the word 'obamacare' is detrimental for the simple fact that a public option isnt care at all, its just an insurance policy. the care comes from the same private doctors that it always did.

the democrats couldnt sell a naked woman to a teenage boy.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
god dammit why didnt obama just leave in the public option and called his program "medicare for all"?

it wasnt even government healthcare. it was government insurance. we all love government insurance, its in all of our banks. even the word 'obamacare' is detrimental for the simple fact that a public option isnt care at all, its just an insurance policy. the care comes from the same private doctors that it always did.

the democrats couldnt sell a naked woman to a teenage boy.

They didn't have the 60 votes to overcome a GOP filibuster to pass that with Lieberman in insurance companies' pocket.
That does make me wonder, maybe we should privatize Medicare, so that seniors are in the same private insurance sh!t as the rest of the population. That will make them more appreciative of universal single payer coverage for everyone.

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
off topic

What I dont get is every state gets the option to opt out of The affordable health care act if they can come up with something on their own..

Rhode Island is looking at costs and Vermont is looking into single payer...

Lets see what the rest of the Governors think...

They have had months btw...

crickets..

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Republicans want to give a fixed price voucher and tell seniors go out into the private sector and get insurance.

Many problems with this. No medical insurer can exist in this country insuring just people over 65. Fact is older people need more medical care. The vouchers cover less of the costs of medical care and don't cover the rising costs. The government pays less and passes the costs onto seniors.

I like analogies. Medicare is like clothing for a fat guy who has gotten progressivly bigger over the years. The old solution was to just get bigger clothes for him. Republicans want to now give the fat guy smaller clothes while he continues to get bigger. Not a pretty site.

Obama said before passing healthcare the largest driver of our deficits long term would be the cost of medical care. Agree or not his idea was to make the fat guy smaller so his clothes would begin to fit.

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
can you imagine the quality of assisted living for 15k a year?

hint it would make dog mills look like the Bellagio...

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
What I don't get about Ryan's plan is that it is virtually identical to what Obamacare does for everyone - provides a voucher for people to purchase private medical insurance. Ryan's plan just restricts it to the elderly, i.e. the people who would otherwise receive medicare. Why is it communism and fascism when it comes from Obama and common sense when it comes from the GOP?

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007

So how it was before the "progressives" started all of these programs that destroyed the family unit.

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
What I don't get about Ryan's plan is that it is virtually identical to what Obamacare does for everyone - provides a voucher for people to purchase private medical insurance. Ryan's plan just restricts it to the elderly, i.e. the people who would otherwise receive medicare. Why is it communism and fascism when it comes from Obama and common sense when it comes from the GOP?

whoa buddy, you might offend someone with that thinking :biggrin:

the DRIZZLE

Platinum Member
Sep 6, 2007
Republicans want to give a fixed price voucher and tell seniors go out into the private sector and get insurance.

Many problems with this. No medical insurer can exist in this country insuring just people over 65. Fact is older people need more medical care. The vouchers cover less of the costs of medical care and don't cover the rising costs. The government pays less and passes the costs onto seniors.

I like analogies. Medicare is like clothing for a fat guy who has gotten progressivly bigger over the years. The old solution was to just get bigger clothes for him. Republicans want to now give the fat guy smaller clothes while he continues to get bigger. Not a pretty site.

Obama said before passing healthcare the largest driver of our deficits long term would be the cost of medical care. Agree or not his idea was to make the fat guy smaller so his clothes would begin to fit.

Its pretty simple really. We can't afford to keep giving all the fat people new clothes at an ever increasing rate. Either the government will ration clothes (single payer) or we will give everyone a clothes allowance that is less than they would like (Ryan Plan). We simply can't cover all the babyboomers at the present level of care, they will have to accept less one way or the other. Anyone who doesn't admit this doesn't understand the numbers or is being dishonest.

IBMer

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2000

That's already been covered, but nice try.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Not sure if this changes your thinking, but baby boomers run from 1946 to 1964 according to the US Census. I am one, as is President Obama.

As am I and I am 55. The government is not paying for my medical expenses. I don't have any but if I did Anthem Blue Cross of Virginia would be picking up the tab, not Medicare.

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001

It’s your desiccion...

Teh HORRORS!1!!! Instead of having to pay for my parents, my desiccion (sic) is to have everyone else in the country continue to do it.