Something big is brewing with Radeon Software

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Yakk

Golden Member
May 28, 2016
Hmm, thought AAA Engine Developers developed Mantle and AMD supported them when asked.

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
It's easier than inventing Mantle and trying to get developers to use it rather than DX11 which was my point.

No, it isn't... Have you worked in programming large projects? Refactoring a very large old code base into a new codebase and ensuring it does not break compatibility is MUCH harder than writing a new one.

Bacon1

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2016
Hmm, thought AAA Engine Developers developed Mantle and AMD supported them when asked.

DICE and other developers wanted a better API than DX11.

AMD worked with DICE to create Mantle, which was used in a few engines and paved the way for DX12 / Vulkan (Vulkan code base is Mantle + cross vendor).

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Yakk

Golden Member
May 28, 2016
DICE and other developers wanted a better API than DX11.

AMD worked with DICE to create Mantle, which was used in a few engines and paved the way for DX12 / Vulkan (Vulkan code base is Mantle + cross vendor).

Ok just checking.

zlatan

Mar 15, 2011
Yes, the new power management feature is really interesting. I don't know how to describe it well, but the module tracks what is happening in the game and it will allocates just the right amount of resources to preserve the best experience and efficiency. The underlying idea was the tipical game designs. Even in an action game there are a lot of scenes where the high fps is not really useful. Think about the dialogues, you don't need more than 30 fps there, but when the gameplay is fast, you need much more. The new module just keeps the fps lower, when there is not much action in the game. This works extremely well with FreeSync.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Dave2150

Jan 20, 2015
Yes, the new power management feature is really interesting. I don't know how to describe it well, but the module tracks what is happening in the game and it will allocates just the right amount of resources to preserve the best experience and efficiency. The underlying idea was the tipical game designs. Even in an action game there are a lot of scenes where the high fps is not really useful. Think about the dialogues, you don't need more than 30 fps there, but when the gameplay is fast, you need much more. The new module just keeps the fps lower, when there is not much action in the game. This works extremely well with FreeSync.

Doesn't sound exciting to me - "hey, lets reduce FPS to save power because we can't compete with Pascal's per/watt"..........

This can already be achieved if you cap your FPS using Radeon Software.

Krteq

May 22, 2015
I think this isn't the only one and only new feature in upcoming Radeon SW version.

Valantar

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2014
Doesn't sound exciting to me - "hey, lets reduce FPS to save power because we can't compete with Pascal's per/watt"..........

This can already be achieved if you cap your FPS using Radeon Software.
They're talking about doing this dynamically - limited FPS in low-action scenes where it doesn't affect percieved smoothness, and no limit in high-intensity scenes. Sounds far too good to be true, IMO. How do they determine wethere there is enough going on to warrant unlimited FPS? Mouse/keyboard input? On-screen movement/changes between individual frames? And how do they avoid this resulting in choppy transitions between little and a lot of action on-screen? Nearly every single AAA game ever made has some sort of "surprise explosion" scene.

Krteq

May 22, 2015
Driver is submitting queues/commands/draw calls to a GPU via IML/API, so this module should be able to monitor draw calls and doing decisions according to a monitored load.

Just guessing.

Valantar

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2014
Driver is submitting queues/commands/draw calls to a GPU via IML/API, so this module should be able to monitor draw calls and doing decisions according to a monitored load.

Just guessing.
Is draw call amount an indicator of frame-to-frame movement? Isn't it just an indicator of "amount of stuff on screen"?

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Hmm...
AMD will be introducing a game recording tool called ReLive to their Crimson software.

Yakk

Golden Member
May 28, 2016
The Chill feature looks very interesting as well as reportedly reduces input lag in DX11 and under also. Having DX11 match the reduced Mantle and Vulkan input lag would be great! Oh and reducing power requirements and running cooler are good, but I'm more interested in the reduced input lag.

The anticipated performance bump in always a nice bonus. :)

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
You ask me, "ReLive" (& Wattman for that matter) are cringe worthy.
Why must they brand everything with a dumb name?

Reactions: Headfoot

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
You ask me, "ReLive" (& Wattman for that matter) are cringe worthy.
Why must they brand everything with a dumb name?
Totally agreed. I hope that "Thread Ripper" and the other silly names in that thread in CPU are not real too, but knowing how dumb these existing names are I wouldn't put it past them