Someone scratched and dented my car :(

vulcanman

Apr 11, 2001
I was at the library this morning. Came out to find a dent on the rear passenger side door ... and a scratch that goes right from below the passenger-side rearview mirror to the tail end of the car :(

The scratch is about 3 feet from ground level (about the height at which someone with malice would hold a sharp object next to them would cause the damage while walking by the vehicle). The dent is a few inches above the scratch line and is about 1 inche long.

The cop showed up and handed me a piece of paper to file with insurance. He did not capture any details.

The worst part is that my comp / collision deductible is $1000 !

Its sad to see such traits in humans.

-----------------
The more I know about man, the more I love my Dog

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
insufficient info to feel sympathy
need make model year of the car

:camera:'s? would help too
before and after

NatePo717

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2005
I got back to my car the other day and the car parked next to me was keyed up something fierce. I nearly had a heart attack. Checked over my car and it was ok. I got lucky there.

If it makes you feel any better I broke my sandals today and insurance won't cover it :p

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
But you would of been so mad at me!

Yeah, it happen to me a few times. One being my neighbor. Whadda dick. Never admitted to it.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
How severe is the scratch? A good detailer could probably fix it up pretty good by buffing of using touchup paint.

The dent could possibly be popped out too.

Might not cost you as much as you think. What kind of car is it, and how much do you care about how it looks?

markgm

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2001
If you didn't cut me off 3 blocks back, nothing would have happened to your car.

That sucks though, someone keyed mine years ago, but it was a light paint job so it was hard to see. I hate when people do stuff like that.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
that is why I always just park far from where I have to go and just walk the extra 100 feet or so.

typically people who are in a hurry or don't care will park at the spots closer to the entrance to the store/building/wherever and they won't carea bout how they park or open their doors.

so I just steer clear of that and walk the extra distance. i'm not lazy so it's not really a hassle for me.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
I had to get my front and rear passenger door, front sidepanel and passenger mirror repainted as well as two dents popped out and it only ran me a little over $500. This was for an '06 Charger. I thought it was a good price.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Originally posted by: Electric Amish
I've never understood why people get so attached to cars. :roll:

Wow, I haven't seen you around here for the longest of times.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001

It's property damage. It costs you money. If you are not so attached to your money I'd be happy to provide it with a more loving home.

clickynext

Platinum Member
Dec 24, 2004
Cops show up over there just for a scratch? They won't bother showing up here unless someone's injured.

vulcanman

Apr 11, 2001
Its a 2005 Toyota and worth about $17K (bluebook). The scratch is visible but not cut through the primer. The ding has some paint peeled out. I am not too attached to my car. I would not have been upset if this was an accident. It was not ... it was done with malice.

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: vulcanman
Its a 2005 Toyota and WAS worth about $17K (bluebook). The scratch is visible but not cut through the primer. The ding has some paint peeled out. I am not too attached to my car. I would not have been upset if this was an accident. It was not ... it was done with malice.

Fixed.

Sorry, couldnt resist.

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
Originally posted by: lozina

It's property damage. It costs you money. If you are not so attached to your money I'd be happy to provide it with a more loving home.

my thoughts exactly. the scratches probably took $1000 off the value of his car.

Safeway

Lifer
Jun 22, 2004
I had the antenna on one of my cars bent around about 120-degrees. Those scumbags did it for no reason! It wasn't cheap to fix, either. I ended up getting a new shaved antenna to replace it. :| 124

NiteWulf

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2003
Originally posted by: clickynext
Cops show up over there just for a scratch? They won't bother showing up here unless someone's injured.
Police reports are required for insurance claims in a lot of places. Plus, if there's any chance they catch the person that did it, why not?

clickynext

Platinum Member
Dec 24, 2004
Originally posted by: NiteWulf
Police reports are required for insurance claims in a lot of places. Plus, if there's any chance they catch the person that did it, why not?
Works if you have an excess of law enforcement officers. Here in Canada we don't have the money to fund things like police, and doctors.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

well it depens...posibly the OP was crying hysterically over the phone.......whn describing the damade to the cops....

Good luck-- OP!!
I would not fix that right away.....what if they come back....lol

SVT Cobra

Lifer
Mar 29, 2005
Originally posted by: vulcanman
Its a 2005 Toyota and worth about $17K (bluebook). The scratch is visible but not cut through the primer. The ding has some paint peeled out. I am not too attached to my car. I would not have been upset if this was an accident. It was not ... it was done with malice.

If it is not through the primer that will buff right out.

Where is the dent? A flat body panel or along a crease? How deep and big?