Someone registered Twitter account with our company's name!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
We're in the process of launching a new company with a unique name (not an existing word), and it just so happened that someone, by complete coincidence, already registered that username on Twitter for a personal account in 2009. It's just a teenage girl and she only tweeted a couple of times years ago and hasn't used the service since 2009. We tried tweeting her but didn't get a response. What do we do - can we send Twitter a copy of our business registration and ask for the username? How long will that process take, and will we need a trademark first? Thanks ATOT! :)

goto nissan.com
if nissan the car maker cant get that name, u absolutely have no chance of a judgement

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
We actually tried to contact her about that, but received no response.

Also, I'm pretty sure that if you register a name that's taken by a business (even if the business is newer), they have some sort of a right to it?

IF you started the business BEFORE they did (and they had no legitimate claim to it) you MIGHT have a chance.

the fact they started it BEFORE you shoots down any chance.

What makes you think you have a right to the name? ugh

bignateyk

Lifer
Apr 22, 2002
Yep...that's the first thing that came to mind...

http://www.nissan.com/Digest/The_Story.php

Jesus that's fucked up. That reminds me of that drycleaning story. If you bring a lawsuit against someone and lose you should have to pay their court costs.

It's such BS that large companies or rich people can sue you frivolously and bankrupt you in the process.

I have a friend whose car was stolen, and the guy who stole it murdered someone, then ditched the car back at my friends place. The cops then decided to charge my friend in the homicide, even though it was pretty obvious he didn't do it. He ended up going bankrupt getting himself a good lawyer to defend himself.

nanette1985

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2005
Jesus that's fucked up. That reminds me of that drycleaning story. If you bring a lawsuit against someone and lose you should have to pay their court costs.

It's such BS that large companies or rich people can sue you frivolously and bankrupt you in the process.

I have a friend whose car was stolen, and the guy who stole it murdered someone, then ditched the car back at my friends place. The cops then decided to charge my friend in the homicide, even though it was pretty obvious he didn't do it. He ended up going bankrupt getting himself a good lawyer to defend himself.

Nissan the car company hasn't lost. They can appeal, countersue, etc till the cows come home. The case isn't over until someone runs out of money - and I doubt it will be Nissan the car company.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

I agree.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Nissan the car company hasn't lost. They can appeal, countersue, etc till the cows come home. The case isn't over until someone runs out of money - and I doubt it will be Nissan the car company.

true.

but the court has ruled against them. anything more will be going into harassment.

considering he won attorney fee's (sure a retarded amount) and nissan (the car) has a nice sight up they would be silly to continue.

bignateyk

Lifer
Apr 22, 2002

The fact that the case has been going on for a decade is a testament to how fucked up our legal system is. It should have been over in 2 days with the judge laughing Nissan Motors out of the courtroom.

TwiceOver

Lifer
Dec 20, 2002
That Nissan guy is probably bringing in good money just off page hits. I do think it is horrible what Nissan Motors is doing to the guy though.

Krazy4Real

Lifer
Oct 3, 2003
We took over a twitter account that was already registered. We trademarked the name after the twitter account was registered. We filed a complaint with twitter and included our business case, trademark office, and trademark registration number. A few days later, we were given access to that account. Twitter was fantastic to work with to get this done. It is very easy as long as you have access to all the legal documents you need to reference.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
We took over a twitter account that was already registered. We trademarked the name after the twitter account was registered. We filed a complaint with twitter and included our business case, trademark office, and trademark registration number. A few days later, we were given access to that account. Twitter was fantastic to work with to get this done. It is very easy as long as you have access to all the legal documents you need to reference.

pitty. twitter should have told you to fuck off and get a different name.

SAWYER

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Thread title should read "We registered out company name after a twitter user name"

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com

Brilliant solution: look for accounts on twitter with a million or more followers. Trademark a company name with that twitter account's name. File a complaint letter with twitter... instant million followers for your business... profit. :D

Last edited:

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Brilliant solution: look for accounts on twitter with a million or more followers. Trademark a company name with that twitter account's name. File a complaint letter with twitter... instant million followers for your business... profit. :D

im starting a tequila business. i plan on getting Tila Tequila twitter. instant million people hanging on my every word.

i don't see how i can go wrong.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004

Why didn't they just offer Mr Nissan a giant bag of cash for the domain instead of wasting it on lawyers? They'd be out the same amount of money, but at least they'd have the domain now. Tards.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
Seriously. I'm with waggy on this one.

Owner of said account should had counter sued for stealing said name as the record of creation of the account showed who had it first.

Seriously though, that was a douche move big time.

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
I worked for <internet giant redacted> and they buy domains from people all the time. They wanted a particular domain that was already owned by an older woman, who had a site dedicated to her cat, and she refused to sell no matter how much they offered her. Told them she'd sell it when the cat died and that was that.

And she did, a few years later. Internet giant just had to suck it up til then.

Lotheron

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2002

"I thought of it second, it's *MINE* give it to me!

MOMMY TWITTER, WAAAH, It's mine! GIVE IT TO ME!"

Yeah, that's all I thought of reading that.

To the OP: You obviously didn't think of something unique enough, back to the drawing board as you got bested by a teen girl.