Someone recommend a garage door opener. Preferably one that can be controlled using smartphone.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Chamberlain or Liftmaster have what you're looking for. I think they might be under the same ownership so don't be surprised if their products are very similar.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
Alternatively, you could make almost any garage door open with a smartphone if you had a smart hub of some sort or a smart switch. Since the signals from a garage door opener are pretty much just a momentary switch (as far as I know) you would just need to do some rudimentary electronic work (pretty much just a normally open relay)

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
I installed a belt drive craftsman garage door opener (made by Chamberlain) with battery backup, keypad and app function (one of my doors didnt have an opener when i moved it). Reasonably painless install, quiet, and decent app functionality via MyQ. Only thing i wish it could do would be allow for one time door use codes. Seems to go on sale for $150-180 every couple of months

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Chamberlain or Liftmaster have what you're looking for. I think they might be under the same ownership so don't be surprised if their products are very similar.

So much this. Craftsman and Genie openers work...but they're not nearly as good.

PowerEngineer

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2001
Another thumbs up for Chamberlain. I have installed three (two replacements and one new) and appreciate their quality. FWIW, I did not install the backup batteries because they tend to go bad in a year or two (I'm told) and we seldom have power outages where we live.

The one you linked will be fine, however its 1.25 HP capability may be overkill unless you are attaching to a heavy double garage door. There are cheaper models like:

https://www.amazon.com/Chamberlain-B503-Ultra-Quiet-Strong-Lifting/dp/B0748L8NNV/ref=sr_1_6?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1523503993&sr=1-6&refinements=p_89:Chamberlain

This has only 0.5 HP capability but seems to have all the other features but $59 cheaper. There is also a 0.75 HP model on Amazon that is $30 cheaper.

Or you could wait for a sale. I picked up all three of mine at different times when Sears or Home Depot marked them down.

:emaN resU

Nov 25, 2010
I've got a chamberlain model with MyQ and use my phone to open it. Very convenient. I don't have a battery backup but that sounds like a great feature...

mztykal

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
Just got the B970 when my Genie failed after a year. So far way quieter, range is great and I can control it via my cell phone. I’d recommend it. My installer said it’s one of his most popular.