Someone please write some C2D temp and memory guides!!!

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
I think this will help the ample question on what memory should I get with whatever C2D cpu....I also think we can solve the temp reading issue and what apps are the best and the most reliable....

I dont have the typing skills and some are better at articulating it more efficiently...

then we will just get it stickified!!! Like th egood old days and Zebos memory guide for A64's....That helped big time...

The-Noid

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
Not everyone has 250+ to spend on ram though. There are better sticks in the 175 range then others. I will write one tomorrow at work. I will add some Kentsfield temperatures as well, becuase we are going to see a flurry of OMG MY CPU IS 80C, threads in the next couple of weeks.

RichUK

Lifer
Feb 14, 2005
So you?re looking for someone to compose a comprehensive guide, on just temps and RAM info? Or are you looking for people to chime in with info on all aspects of C2D clocking?

The-Noid

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
I already made a C2D Clocking guide. I will make a RAM list and Temperature Guide tomorrow. Hopefully someone will sticky both of them. Will take away like 40% of posts.

RichUK

Lifer
Feb 14, 2005
Originally posted by: Yoxxy
I already made a C2D Clocking guide. I will make a RAM list and Temperature Guide tomorrow. Hopefully someone will sticky both of them. Will take away like 40% of posts.

I haven't really been active in this forum for a while now, so i?m unaware to what has been going on in the last 6 months or so. Have you got a link to your thread? I?m not in need of the info, just want to check it out.

RichUK

Lifer
Feb 14, 2005
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview...atid=28&threadid=1947261&enterthread=y

The motherboard section needs to be updated with the 680i and 8800 gtx. I could probably do that later.

That?s not bad. However, it?s very specific to only two boards. There needs to be a quick and dirty version, which would offer compatible information to a broader spectrum of motherboards. You know, like a clear and concise version.

But then again, I suppose it?s a bit hard to do with C2D?s, as most of the OC focus is really on the NB and memory. It?s makes it worse when there are a few different C2D compatible chipsets too, along with motherboard manufacturers offering a wide variety of different BIOS OC options/capabilities.

It was easier with AMD, as they integrated the Northbridge functionality on die, so this made OCing techniques pretty much the same across all motherboards. Due to the fact, there was only one K8.

Oct 4, 2004
I, for one, would really like to know about 'straps' and 'FSB holes' where a motherboard won't POST between certain FSB values but will work fine at higher values. A simple, intermediate-geek level article would be cool! The expert stuff makes my head spin ;)

The-Noid

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
There are only 3 boards on the market for core 2 duo. You have the 965, 975 and 680i. The bios options are the same for each type of board...

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Not everyone has 250+ to spend on ram though. There are better sticks in the 175 range then others. I will write one tomorrow at work. I will add some Kentsfield temperatures as well, becuase we are going to see a flurry of OMG MY CPU IS 80C, threads in the next couple of weeks.

I told people before that the QX6x00 CPUs will run hot. Now lets see how many people listened.

When it coems to memory, if you're overclocking you should already realize you can't go cheap. Good and cheap don't work out too well on memory pricing.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
I vote Yoxxy ftw ;)

I am kinda bad at writing out truely knowledge-filled guides compared to many here, so i'd rather stick with handing out small tidbits of info myself.

I would personally like to see a DO NOT BUY Corsair RAM sticky as well, but somehow i don't think that'd go over well.

I have been disliking Corsair more & more for various reasons, but the Dominator DDR2-800 trick they pulled is kinda the last straw.

Corsair ships all these DDR2-800 Dominator kits with D9GMH (for the initial reviews, etc.), & then they quietly switch to a new revision that uses Promos :roll:
F*cking joke i tell you.

Their overpriced regular stuff is bad enough, since every n00b out there somehow thinks Corsair is teh bestest, but now we have them shipping cheap ICs in their high end lines too :frown:
That & Corsair reps on HardForum...bah they annoy me.
Doesn't seem right to have a bunch of reps recommending their own products on a forum to newbs.

/end rant...

Mr Fox

Sep 24, 2006
Originally posted by: n7
I vote Yoxxy ftw ;)

I am kinda bad at writing out truely knowledge-filled guides compared to many here, so i'd rather stick with handing out small tidbits of info myself.

I would personally like to see a DO NOT BUY Corsair RAM sticky as well, but somehow i don't think that'd go over well.

I have been disliking Corsair more & more for various reasons, but the Dominator DDR2-800 trick they pulled is kinda the last straw.

Corsair ships all these DDR2-800 Dominator kits with D9GMH (for the initial reviews, etc.), & then they quietly switch to a new revision that uses Promos :roll:
F*cking joke i tell you.

Their overpriced regular stuff is bad enough, since every n00b out there somehow thinks Corsair is teh bestest, but now we have them shipping cheap ICs in their high end lines too :frown:
That & Corsair reps on HardForum...bah they annoy me.
Doesn't seem right to have a bunch of reps recommending their own products on a forum to newbs.

/end rant...

No different than OCZ or some of the others that seem to use hype, and buzz... as part of a broader "viral" type scheme... It is cheaper to market this way and users others resources and space to do this.... The moderators then are in between a rock and a hardspot as they also are advertizers........

Would be nice if we could get a guide that looks at many different angles of the game, and many people pulling together a "AT Forum Buyers Guide"

dBtelos and Howard doing a PSU section... etc.. etc.... (eh Just a thought !!)