someone please explain this harry potter stuff to me

ltk007

Banned
Feb 24, 2000
I don't even know what harry potter is. Why are people obessed over this book stuff? Isn't it a kids book anyway?

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I have no clue. There was something about a new book of his on the front page of our local news paper a few days ago, and I've never even heard of the guy,

Killbat

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2000
It's just a unique type of storytelling/writing (psst! I've never read one, so don't go quoting me!) that appeals to adults AND their children. It's just another "rage", but fortunately an educational one. It'll fade away, just like Beanie Babies.

BA

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 1999
Ok, don't laugh at me too much. I got bored the other day and read one of my little sister's Harry Potter books. The low down's that he's a 13? y/o wizard.

It wasn't bad for a kid's book, but I still don't get it.

PCAddict

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 1999
I don't get it either. All I know is that people were camped out at the Barnes & Noble that is across the street from where I work.

Brooks

Banned
Oct 9, 1999
Boring people with pathetic lives love to get hyped over things and wait in lineups for such things as:

- a new book. Its not a scroll on how to live forever, its a children's book. Get it when the lineups of idiots subside
- movies. I don't care WHAT the movie is, if you're waiting in lineup from start to when the movie is starting and that is more than an hour, then you should try and search your soul for a reason why you still are bothering to breath
- lottery tickets. Isn't it fun waiting in line so that you can pay your bad-at-math tax?

Brooks

MrsSkywalker

Jun 30, 2000
I've got to disagree with you, Brooks. Reading isn't something that's just done by boring people. You're reading right now, aren't you? Some people get hyped up over an upcoming game, and some get hyped over a book. What's the difference? They both are stories, it's just that readers have the imagination it takes to visualize the story for themselves.

The Harry Potter books are popular because the story lines are very unique, but written in a way that makes them feel real. I don't mind saying that I've read the first three and have ordered the fourth. They are really good books, and not just "good...for a kids book." Watch, I bet you'll all love the movie version when it comes out :)

Also, FYI: J.K.Rowling (the author) told Diane Sawyer in a recent interview that she has received offers from Microsoft for a Harry Potter game.

DAM

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2000
i just saw a report on Harry Potter and the author jw hawkins(not sure on the name though)

well, heres what i think, it is great, it is great to see that such a hype about books, i think her books have sold like 22 million copies and been translated in 37 languages. all in all, i hope this reading rage continues.

dam(read)

KarsinTheHutt

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2000
My little brother is really into these Harry Potter books - I actually started reading one yesterday because I was wondering why the hell everyone wanted them.

They're great entertainment actually. Not exactly classic literature but if you like Star Wars you'll like Harry Potter.

Harry's world is basically an Earth where magic is real. Wizards and Witches are like Jedi. There are good magicians as well as sith lord types. The Wizards/Witches have their own academy where they train, etc.

Just my take on this...

MSBHVN

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 1999
Actually convex, that would be Henry Blake. The other guy was Sherman Potter. Not that it matters, just FYI. ;)

Snakeus

Banned
Apr 3, 2000
Well all this sounds fine and good but if you look hard enough you'll find out that she's being sued for stealing some of the characters and the basic concept of L/Harry Potter from another writer, and she even used a word the other writer made up and copywrited?.
She says it just came to her on the train! Bullsh!t. It came to after she read the other womans book.

Read it all on MSNBC a couple of months ago.

Snakeus
All I did was make fun of carolina basketball and I was labeled a " yankee i love you " ! oldandquitemad