Someone must know: How much can i expect insurance to go up if i plead guilty to a speeding ticket?

sohcrates

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2000
19 mph over. Fine is $99.

I really just want to pay it and forget about it...but i think it's one point on my license.

All i care about is insurance. I mean, how often will Geico really call the DMV and check up on me?

I know i should go to court, but assuming i don't....is insurance gonna DOUBLE or something like that?

Thanks

N8Magic

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
My insurance company gives me one free ticket, and one free accident before the rates get out of hand.

sohcrates

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2000

<< My insurance company gives me one free ticket, and one free accident before the rates get out of hand. >>

seriously? my record is totally clean....

edit: how did you figure that out? is it common knowledge? thanks

Pastore

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2000
i got a 20 mph over i pleaded guilty too... got 3 points on my license...

insurance didnt go up at all...

N8Magic

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000

<< seriously? my record is totally clean.... >>

Seriously.

I've had two tickets (3 years apart, so one was off the record before I got the other one) and my rates never increased.

Call your insurer and ask. :)

Hoeboy

Banned
Apr 20, 2000
if your record is totaly clean, why don't you just goto traffic school online? i did that a couple years back when it was a new thing. i took an 8 hr course in about 30 minutes :eek: they make u read all this crap and then answer some questions to test if you read or not. of course i did not and whatever questions i missed, i just clicked teh back button and try again. ahaha. but i think they somehow MAKE you read it now. but it still beats going to school for 8 hrs.

btw my ticket 3 yrs ago just cleared and my insurance rate dropped 300 bux. before it was 700 for 6 months and now it's 400. i'm with state farm.

sohcrates

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2000

<< i got a 20 mph over i pleaded guilty too... got 3 points on my license...

insurance didnt go up at all...
>>

How long has it been since that ticket?

ya'll are giving me hope! i like that!

sohcrates

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2000

<< if your record is totaly clean, why don't you just goto traffic school online? . >>

but don't i still have to go to court in order to get that option?

Pastore

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2000
it has been 8 months since i sent in the ticket, and a month after that I called my insurance company to make sure, and they said it wouldnt go up, and they would wipe it off my insurance record after 16 months if i dont get any more tickets...

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Isn't this covered in your insurance policy? My policy spells out how many "points" things are worth, then tells you what the surcharge is for each point and how long the surcharge is in effect.

Hoeboy

Banned
Apr 20, 2000
<<but don't i still have to go to court in order to get that option? >>

im not sure what state you're in but in california, everything is done via mail. when they mail you the bill for the ticket, it lists an option whether or not u want to goto traffic school. just check yes and mail it back in.

when i took traffic school online a few yrs ago, they even mailed the certificate to the court for me. i didn't really had to do anything.

Mutilator

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2000
If this is your first ticket call up the district attorney in the county you got the ticket and ask if they will reduce the ticket or let you do prayer for judgement. Then call your insurance co and ask what would happen to your rates if you got a 19mph over ticket... and then ask what would happen if that turned into a 9mph over ticket. That's what I did when I got my 1 and only ticket... 52 in a 35 reduced to 42 in a 35... no points on my license and no insurance raise... as long as I don't get another ticket in 3 years. ;)
I don't think they can't raise your rates just for asking... :)

BTW I just paid mine too... since I got the ticket while I was on vacation it just wasn't worth it to get a lawyer and then miss a day or 2 of work just to fight it... I just mailed in my payment for the reduced ticket.

dman

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
It goes on your record. If they do raise rates (for whatever reason) you are pretty much stuck with them because if you try and switch companies they all go back 3-5yrs and won't give you the good rates. You'd be much wiser to get a lawyer to plea down your ticket. It'll very likely save you money in the long run. Especially if you are a single mail, under 25, and drive a "sports" car.

yakko

Lifer
Apr 18, 2000
You should just be able to pay the fine and at the same time opt for driving school to prevent the points from going on your record. Call up the traffic division of your courthouse and ask what your options are.

sohcrates

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2000

<< . Especially if you are a single male, under 25, and drive a "sports" car. >>

wow, that is EXACTLY me. yikes

I guess i'll have to call the courthouse and see if i have any options.....