someone is stealing from my mailbox

Siva

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2001
Recently we've been noticing some of the mail disappearing. First it was just Newsweek, then my dad didn't get some of the medicine which was supposed to have been here last week. Well last night we got a call from Nextel thanking him for buying a cell phone, but he never bought a cell phone. Some scum has been stealing stuff from our mailbox, he's got my dad's credit card number and his social security number. There are over $300 of charges on the phone and who knows what else he's bought.

I think they've cancelled the credit card and my dad is going to the cops today, but what else can I do about this guy? I'm the only one home when the mail comes, its probably one of the stupid crackhead kids that lives around here. What should I do?

DaveJ

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'd set up a camera and see if you can nail the guy in action...

Dave

Emulex

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2001
call the postmaster, thats a 10 year minimum sentence to steal mail. The feds will be interested in this guy!

Raspewtin

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 1999
my sister bought her house from people who installed a special mailbox with a lock etc on it. You could do that.

kumanchu

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2000
if it were me, i'd hide in the bushes and meditate so i wouldn't be seen. when the little fvcker opens your mailbox and takes anything out, i'd leap out and beat the cr4p out of him with my shinai. OR you could do the whole sniper thing with a paintball gun from your house... but the camera idea doesn't seem too bad.

Emos

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2000
Definitely attempt some way to catch the creep in the act. As stated before the Feds really frown on issues such as stealing mail and mail fraud...BOTH of which this guy sounds guilty of. He could spend a lot of time in the Fed Pen.

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000

<< The video camera idea is good. Make sure you hide it really good so he/she doesn't see it.
>>

yeah.. like in the mailbox itself... so it goes on when they open the mailbox..
SMILE creap.. you're on candid camera!

SiliconVandal

Banned
Nov 17, 2000
<< There are over $300 of charges on the phone and who knows what else he's bought. >>

You think thats alot? Some fvcker took $13k from my dad, and he has his SS#, got it from net.

My thread..

SV

Tung

Platinum Member
Nov 7, 2000
damn.. i didn't know people could screw you up that good if they had your ss#..

yakko

Lifer
Apr 18, 2000
Something like that hapened to my mom. Some cards had been set up in her name. Luckily the people who did it paid off the cards they got in her name and actually helped her credit.

<< There are over $300 of charges on the phone and who knows what else he's bought.

You think thats alot? Some fvcker took $13k from my dad, and he has his SS#, got it from net.
>>

That's nothing. This was probably done by the same people who got the phony cards in my mom's name. The police showed up one day to have my mom arrested for non payment on a $40,000 home loan. Luckily the guy from the bank was there too and immediately said &quot;That's not the lady I gave the loan to.&quot; I wonder if he kept his job after that.

Zoltar

May 1, 2000
Like we believe that Siva. You've been stealing the old mans playboy magazines again, huh?

Croton

Banned
Jan 18, 2000
i agree.
do the camera thing because then u will have solid proof for the law.

put something really enticing in your mailbox too....something for bait...like a package from buy.com

:)

EverClear

Oct 12, 1999
More of a warning than anything else. THere are scams going on where people steal your mail, Bills especially than they have checks stolen from somebody else and they deposit the stolen checks into your acct. and get cash back during the transaction. So be sure that the people at your bank know you or check ID's so that you dont get screwed over in the end.

MrHans

Aug 17, 2000
This can turn into a neverending cycle of crap for your pops regarding the credit card. once that info starts getting passed around, it will be difficult to take back his identity. my ex-gf had her purse stolen from her office and has had to deal with crisis after crisis concerning her indentification and credit history. her stuff got passed off to some pro's after a few uses apparently, and now she is still in a world of screwed uppedness 1.5 years later.
you need to get on top of this pronto! contact the credit bureaus that credit cards and banks look to for info. lock it down! get all your facts down on paper showing timetables and losses (and suspected losses as well) to back up your case. the camera is a good idea to be sure. there are other charges to be brought up against this perp besides theft like possible tresspassing charges, and CC fraud at the very least.
good luck, hans

Oct 9, 1999
I am trying to figure out where my missing discover platinum card is. I am going to have to call discover to find out if they sent it.

edit its over 3 weeks since i applied.

MustangSVT

Lifer
Oct 7, 2000
why dont u talk to the phone company that called you, and find out where the phone was deliverd to? and track other shipped items and where they were delivered to?

DesignDawg

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Hmmm...WHY would you get a Discover card? Have you EVER seen ANYONE who takes Discover? ROFL. :)

Ricky
DesignDawg

DDCSpeed

Golden Member
Nov 30, 2000
kick the guy's @ss........jk

actually video camera him in action n submit him to the cops.

robp

Oct 9, 1999
Putting the camera in the mailbox is such a stupid idea. What would stop the person from just taking the camera?

If you go with the camera suggestion, make sure it is situated in your house.