Someone hit me with a baseball bat for trusting Microsoft (Zune related)...

Turkish

Lifer
May 26, 2003
Even though the Zune itself is great as a piece of hardware, the software that you need to synch it blows. Seriously, MS will lose the Mp3 player game too soon if they don't release a major update or a complete recode! Continuous Synch problems with all of my 3 PCs, horrible resource usage, and many more...

I guess I shouldn't have hammered my iPod mini so soon. Going to get a new Video iPod tomorrow.

Grr. End of rant.

michaels

Banned
Nov 30, 2005
I am liking my Zune, I am wanting to do a hd swap though, the 30 gigs is way too small. I want drag and drop, my biggest complaint.

SmoochyTX

Lifer
Apr 19, 2003
There's a firmware update this week or next (can't remember which). There's also a software update coming soon.

I don't have any kind of outrageous resource usage with the software but I do occasionally have a problem with the album artwork being applied. With that being said, I love my Zune and would never consider an ipod or any other player right now.

wheresmybacon

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2004
My Zune software "ate" half of 2 full albums for no apparent reason. I go to play these albums after a sync, and for some reason half the songs are gone.

Another neat feature, I edited the tags of several tracks on a few different mixtapes I'd thrown together, and it ate those too.

I love my Zune but I HATE the software. I'm almost ready to investigate the possibility of simply wiping it and starting my library over. When I first got it, I knew nothing of "tags" and synched the entirety of my collection. Big mistake.

Oh, and did I mention it's a major resource hog? Well it is. Don't plan on doing much of anything else if you're manipulating or syncing your music.

I really love the device, but the software is a fvcking joke.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
I like my 60gb Gigabeat which the Zune is based off of....which seems to allow me to drag & drop as well.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
It requires software?

I thought that was the point of the Zune - no crappy software like iPod. Granted Red Chair's Anapod works great.

Turkish

Lifer
May 26, 2003
Originally posted by: hungfarover

I really love the device, but the software is a fvcking joke.

For real...

I thought iTunes sucked big time but nope, Zune Software wins the "Crappiest Synch App Ever" contest!

wheresmybacon

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2004
Originally posted by: MS Dawn
It requires software?

I thought that was the point of the Zune - no crappy software like iPod. Granted Red Chair's Anapod works great.

oh no it definitely requires software. a big, clunky, steaming pile of software.

forgot to mention that it also cannot be used as a storage device (it doesn't show up as a removeable drive, nor can it be configured as one in drive management).

edit: type-o

SmoochyTX

Lifer
Apr 19, 2003
Originally posted by: Kaido
iPod > * when it comes to usability.
Some of us aren't sheep. Besides, how long has the Zune been around compared to the ipod?

Never mind. I'm not getting into the argument.

MrFire8808

Apr 13, 2005
Yeah.. The Zune software synced my music library ALL goofy.. I wish there was a way I could just put all the folders I have for music onto the zune as they are, without trying to sort it all around the way it wants it.

SmoochyTX

Lifer
Apr 19, 2003
Originally posted by: MrFire8808
Yeah.. The Zune software synced my music library ALL goofy.. I wish there was a way I could just put all the folders I have for music onto the zune as they are, without trying to sort it all around the way it wants it.
You could add folders for it to monitor. It's right there in the Options - Add Folder to Library.

For example, I don't save my music in My Docs/My Music. I save all of my music, podcasts, and vidcasts straight to my C:.

The Zune software monitors these folders for me:
C:\My Music
C:\Zune\Zune Podcasts
C:\Zune\Zune Vidcasts

BTW, you can get rid of that default monitoring of the folder in your My Docs by changing your Rip To location. I created a new folder (that's blank) just for that purpose because I'm not going to use the Zune software to rip my music.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Originally posted by: SmoochyTX
Some of us aren't sheep. Besides, how long has the Zune been around compared to the ipod?

Those of us who are not sheep didn't buy either the zune or the ipod, they bought one of the better (and cheaper!) mp3 players.

SmoochyTX

Lifer
Apr 19, 2003
Originally posted by: PokerGuy
Originally posted by: SmoochyTX

Those of us who are not sheep didn't buy either the zune or the ipod, they bought one of the better (and cheaper!) mp3 players.
I had Creative before my Zune. It was a very poor experience.