Someone gave me some PowerMac g3 computers, need help getting OSs for them.

hoorah

Dec 8, 2005
Hey guys,

As one of my million side projects, I refurbish older computers for people at my local church. I ususally take 2 or 3 systems, put all of the memory/hard drives into the best one, reformat the OS (and make sure their income tax data is gone so the poor saps don't get cleaned out when they put the system in the trash), install some free anti-vir/ anti-malware and then give it away or donate it to our Church garage sale or something. So recently, someone donated to me 2 PowerMac G3s, and I don't really know what to do with them.

The first one is a Blue and White PowerMac G3, revision 1, and has OS 9.2.2 on it.. I've done a bunch of reading online, and it seems like OS X 10.2.8 is the highest I can reliably run on the system according to this (http://resale.headgap.com/osxnotesbw.html). I upgraded the memory with some I had lying around from 192 to 448, so its got plenty of memory to run OS X.

The second one is a red/pink Imac that I don't really know the specs on because I didn't have time to do anything but power it up, and didn't have a USB mouse at the location to test with. It has OS 8.6 on it. I still have another 128 and 2 64 mb sticks of PC100 ram, so I'm assuming I can probably get the memory in this system to a decent level before I start messing around with it.

My biggest reason for accepting these is to format the system so that their personal information is gone, but once I do that, I don't have any install discs to reinstall Mac OS 9 or OS X back on them. Does anyone on here happen to have any OS 9 discs that they might be able to make a copy of for a nominal fee? Copying the restore discs for OS 9 and installing them on a machine that came with OS 9 is still legit, isnt it? Or is there some other route I should take to remain legit?

Also, I see a lot of people selling OS X 10.2 restore discs on ebay for say, an ibook, and stating that they will work on other models. Is this legitimate? Or is there no legit way of purchasing OS 10.2 anymore (Apple only carries 10.4)?

Any other tips for working on these G3 systems I should know about? Thanks for the help guys. Someone I work with has offered to spend about $30 on the iMac system to play around with, so I have about a $30 budget to spend on the disks to be able to get the other one in a condition to donate it or sell it at our garage sale.

I am not trying to pirate or asking anyone to help me pirate the OSes for these systems, I'm just not familiar with them and do not know what is allowed/not allowed.