Someone explain the point of overclocking of cards w/ Boost such as Kepler?

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
As I see it, any Kepler card has a boost table which is viewable and editable with tools such as Kepler Bios Tweaker.

In this table (eg. on my GK104) there are all the boost clocks available, which in my case for a STOCK "out of the box OC card" go up to 1320 max. (Of course, my card cannot do 1320, but then I didn't give it max voltage as well)

(Theoretically, one could even up the max table clock to 1816 )

The max voltages the card makes available are also editable, up to 1212.5mV

So, this means, due to the Boost feature, each card actually has the ability to "overclock itself" already, depending on voltages available, given it would stay within TDP spec (which are adjustable too) and given that temps would be fine as well.

We can assume that many/most cards will not even reach the max. what's in the boost table - and when it cannot do that, then it also makes no sense to add +clock via software like Afterburner? If the card cannot clock up to, say, 1320 from the built-in boost, then why would someone want to add, say, 100mhz in Afterburner and expect some overclock?

"Overclocking" those newer cards is not like overclocking older gen cards where you "added" core clocks via a tool (or via Bios mods) but actually unlocking of

* adding more V
* adjusting TDP tolerances

and then see how much it goes up in the boost table.

I don't see the point in adding actual clock rates in Afterburner etc?

Last edited:

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
You overclock to get higher boost clocks. Higher boost and memory clocks = faster performance. The card will boost to a certain number by default. Every card is different./ you can, through trial and error, find the absolute max stable boost clock and set it.

So because your card may say 1350 and won't do it, it might do 1230. 1230 > 1175 for example. So it's free performance. Memory also does not change dynamically and you have to set it, memory overclocks can net big gains.

Last edited:

notty22

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2010
Well it means you get faster performance...until it downclocks from TDP :p

Which is pretty fast. : http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/04/17/bioshock_infinite_video_card_performance_iq_review/5

1366059325bz0mQW3iY7_5_4.jpg

1366059325bz0mQW3iY7_5_3.jpg

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
See kids this is what happens when you're too retarded to complete high school: you cherry pick data and think it makes an argument.

Seriously. You posted THIS, then reported his post when he responded to YOUR personal attack? Did you not think we'd see what was quoted?! -Admin DrPizza

Last edited by a moderator:

notty22

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2010
See kids this is what happens when you're too retarded to complete high school: you cherry pick data and think it makes an argument.

Another fail post, where you feel the need to tell everyone you are smarter or can spot intelligence. I'll tell you, your use of retarded and general language skills speak of a fool, with a complex.

Huh?! And you reported HIS post & then posted this? I ought to vacation both of you for behaving like this. -Admin DrPizza

Last edited by a moderator:

nightspydk

Sep 7, 2012
If you take the keplar chip what you get is the same chip as the fastest even tho you buy the slowest with some shader locked. This is how it goes eg the top chip gets tested and won't run accordig to specs, so it gets downgraded and so and so on. For all practicality you get the same chip like I said locked where it runs stabile. That's why sometimes you find a vga bios that would unlock the chip to it's full potential.

Hope that explained. :)

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
You overclock to get higher boost clocks. Higher boost and memory clocks = faster performance. The card will boost to a certain number by default. Every card is different./ you can, through trial and error, find the absolute max stable boost clock and set it.

So because your card may say 1350 and won't do it, it might do 1230. 1230 > 1175 for example. So it's free performance. Memory also does not change dynamically and you have to set it, memory overclocks can net big gains.

So yes, I see my card always boosting to position 39 in the boost table and never beyond.

a) WHY does the card not boost beyond this position? Why doesn't it boost to position 46 which has 1320? What is the criteria?

b) Of course I didn't ask for the general benefit of overclocking, I know that :) I wanted to know about the specifics with kepler.

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
Another fail post, where you feel the need to tell everyone you are smarter or can spot intelligence. I'll tell you, your use of retarded and general language skills speak of a fool, with a complex.
Watch the personal attacks there, no place for that on the forum. If you're upset about something maybe it's because it hit the nail on the head. :thumbsup:

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
My 670 will boost to just over 1050mhz with standard clocks. With my OC, it boosts to almost 1300mhz. That's why I OC. Pretty simple...I don't really have any throttling issues. I can review my GPUZ log and see the core between 1250-1300 consistently.

DooKey

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2005
I love it when an AMDefender and an NVolunteer get called out at the same time by a Mod.

Granseth

May 6, 2009
My 670 will boost to just over 1050mhz with standard clocks. With my OC, it boosts to almost 1300mhz. That's why I OC. Pretty simple...I don't really have any throttling issues. I can review my GPUZ log and see the core between 1250-1300 consistently.

I think the OP question is why it doesn't boost to 1300MHz to start with. It might seem difficult to understand the criteria that limits your boost but let you OC some more. When they use TDP and temperature to regulate the boost it should meet the same limits as your OC.

At least that is what I think the OP is trying to understand.