Someone explain the mindset that leads to so many COVID deniers and Anti-maskers

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I think there are three (possibly separate) elements:

1 - People who blindly accept the word of whatever person they consider their go-to source for current events etc.

2 - People who think that in order to be respected by their peers, they have to have a contrary opinion to whatever the norm is. Classic Dunning-Kruger poster-children.

3 - A 'fight or flight' element has gone wrong for some people: They feel the need to demonstrate that they're not afraid of it, but instead of following science-based advice and moving forward in a level-headed fashion, they think the best way forward is to downplay it in whatever fashion.

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
The anti-maskers think Covid is inevitable, so you wear yours and protect you - but they dont care as we have seen so many test positive and have no symptoms. Build up that herd immunity as they say.

They also think the repercussions of being shut down are worse for the populace than having a few Covid deaths - especially when you consider children who are suffering from child abuse, lack of education, meals, and other items while suffering from ridiculously low death rates.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
It is part of an anti-intellectual anti-science strategy to weaken the efficacy of rational/statistic/factual arguments that would undermine conservative policy.

On the corporate side: it makes it easier to manipulate the under educated voters. so conservative media focuses on denying scientific authority and proclaiming themselves the "only true source of information that can be believed".

For the masses, demonizing scientists and journalists makes them the out-group and gives them a target to hate. Which stokes their latent anger at the system that isn't really serving them. Anger blinds and reinforces their belief that they are in the right.

I have a theory that it really hit a peak with Roe v. Wade when medical science was used to decide "what was right" and thus superseding folk morality(positivist law vs natural law). If the lay person isn't entitled to his opinion on what is right and wrong then they will either capitulate or they will stop listening and entrench. Politicians using 'moral' wedge issues like abortion and death penalties incubated this. Social media and its echo chamber allowed the cult of ignorance to feel like they weren't the oddball whackos.

The current covid deniers are mostly running on tribalism(i'm right therefore the other guys must always be wrong approach), and the thought of sticking it to the other side tickles the pleasure centers of their under utilized brains.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Peoples lives have been too good for many years so this type of inane bullshit starts propagating.

Same with anti-vaxxers, flat Earthers etc..
yeah, but flat-earthers are hilarious and enjoy being laughed at.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
It's mah FREEDUMB!

It's amazing that people are so stupid they'd rather take a chance of catching this Wu-Flu than inconvenience themselves by wearing a simple device that has been proven effective in preventing the transmission.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
It's mah FREEDUMB!

It's amazing that people are so stupid they'd rather take a chance of catching this Wu-Flu than inconvenience themselves by wearing a simple device that has been proven effective in preventing the transmission.
What I find amusing is covering your face can help defeat facial recognition, which I think is great. I can cover up, and more or less fit in. I'd think a lot of the FREEEEDOOOM!!! crowd would be all about that.

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
A lot of people are angry, they feel “ protecting your health is not my responsibility“ ” If you are at risk, just hide in your house “ These same people either don’t know, nor care that there is no plan in place for people like me, cancer patient, 63 yrs old to simply “ just hide in my house “ as I would lose the medical insurance that pays for my cancer treatment.

I work in a hospital & get told “ you signed up for this” actually I work in an administration type position as a receptionist....I didn’t sign up to die & neither did the heros at the bedside who often don’t get adequate PPE, have to reuse PPE & often are denied benefits for workplace acquired covid.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I think there are three (possibly separate) elements:

1 - People who blindly accept the word of whatever person they consider their go-to source for current events etc.

2 - People who think that in order to be respected by their peers, they have to have a contrary opinion to whatever the norm is. Classic Dunning-Kruger poster-children.

3 - A 'fight or flight' element has gone wrong for some people: They feel the need to demonstrate that they're not afraid of it, but instead of following science-based advice and moving forward in a level-headed fashion, they think the best way forward is to downplay it in whatever fashion.

I wish I had understood these three elements in high school. It would have explained the social behavior of a lot of kids lol.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
A lot of people are angry, they feel “ protecting your health is not my responsibility“ ” If you are at risk, just hide in your house “ These same people either don’t know, nor care that there is no plan in place for people like me, cancer patient, 63 yrs old to simply “ just hide in my house “ as I would lose the medical insurance that pays for my cancer treatment.

I work in a hospital & get told “ you signed up for this” actually I work in an administration type position as a receptionist....I didn’t sign up to die & neither did the heros at the bedside who often don’t get adequate PPE, have to reuse PPE & often are denied benefits for workplace acquired covid.

I think it's the same instant-rejection algorithm that occurs when people meet a vegan and say "but what about bacon?!" defensively. For some reason, fear settles in & they go into defense-mode right away, rather than realizing it's OK for other people to have different points of view & it's also OK to accommodate people, even if you don't agree with them.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
What I find amusing is covering your face can help defeat facial recognition, which I think is great. I can cover up, and more or less fit in. I'd think a lot of the FREEEEDOOOM!!! crowd would be all about that.

The real freedom crowd maybe, sure. Problem is we’re talking about the freedumb crowd in this thread. They don’t think things through like that and would rather be contrarian out of spite.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Some people just don't like being told what to do, even if it is for their own safety. I may not agree with it, but I can respect their opinion.

I'd imagine that there is probably a pretty big overlap of people who refuse to wear masks and people who refuse to wear a seatbelt or wear a bike helmet. The same "screw it, we're all going to die someday anyway" mentality probably applies.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I think part of it is strong distrust in government. World governments are shady as hell, and you have to question everything they say and do. The issue is not EVERYTHING is an agenda, you still need to use common sense to realize that in some cases they actually are acting for the better good. The lockdowns, quarantine, masks etc are needed to stop this virus from going out of control as it's highly contagious. But so many people think it's just completely made up and that it's a huge agenda.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I think it's the same instant-rejection algorithm that occurs when people meet a vegan and say "but what about bacon?!" defensively. For some reason, fear settles in & they go into defense-mode right away, rather than realizing it's OK for other people to have different points of view & it's also OK to accommodate people, even if you don't agree with them.
But that would require... gasp... MATURITY!

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Some people just don't like being told what to do, even if it is for their own safety. I may not agree with it, but I can respect their opinion.

I'd imagine that there is probably a pretty big overlap of people who refuse to wear masks and people who refuse to wear a seatbelt or wear a bike helmet. The same "screw it, we're all going to die someday anyway" mentality probably applies.

I have zero respect for their opinion because their stupidity puts me more at risk. I am in my early 50s with underlying health issues so if I get this disease it is more likely to kill me. Fuck them and their opinions.

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
I have zero respect for their opinion because their stupidity puts me more at risk. I am in my early 50s with underlying health issues so if I get this disease it is more likely to kill me. Fuck them and their opinions.

Don’t you understand? They feel protecting your health is YOUR responsibility, sick, got cancer, heart problems? You have the RIGHT to hide in your house ( as long as you can figure out a way to pay your bills because that isn’t their responsibility either)

Your “right“ to not wear a mask ends where my nose begins....Funny how the anti mask folks aren’t clamoring for the right to hide in the house themselves, they are just demanding those who are at risk do it

Reactions: Number1

Zanovar

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2011
There are not many people in the uk wearing them.Apart from me there was only 2 other people in asda wearing them yesterday.

Zanovar

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2011
just heard something ridiculous on the news.Covid parties?,wtf is that all about.Wow