Someone explain me why North Korea is so F---ed up?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Superrock

Oct 28, 2000
Every reason we invaded Iraq could be applied to N. Korea x 1000. We didn't because of China and the collateral damage it would have on S. Korea.

I dislike America's(and neighboring nations) policy of shipping N. Korea tons of oil so they won't develop nuclear power. We need oil. We invaded Iraq for it. I'd rather let N. Korea develop their own methods for power and either implode through their corrupt, ineffectual governmental policies or bug Iran for oil.

N. Korea rules their population through fear and propaganda. If there was evil alive and well in this world it is Kim Jong-Il.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Atreus21
Originally posted by: steppinthrax
I don't know much about North Korea until reading up on the Wikipedia page. North Korea invest entirely in the military even though their people are poor and starving. They think we will invade them one day. What is their problem???

Dude, no bias is needed to ascertain that Kim Jong-il is just plain crackers. He really is out of his mind.

I'm not certain I would complain if we decided to invade. That's one country where we would be greeted as liberators.

you are nuts. the people of NK are so brainwashed and devoted to the great leader they would fight tooth and nail if anybody invaded.

LongCoolMother

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Citrix
Originally posted by: Atreus21
Originally posted by: steppinthrax
I don't know much about North Korea until reading up on the Wikipedia page. North Korea invest entirely in the military even though their people are poor and starving. They think we will invade them one day. What is their problem???

Dude, no bias is needed to ascertain that Kim Jong-il is just plain crackers. He really is out of his mind.

I'm not certain I would complain if we decided to invade. That's one country where we would be greeted as liberators.

you are nuts. the people of NK are so brainwashed and devoted to the great leader they would fight tooth and nail if anybody invaded.

the other big problem is that if the US were to invade, the juggernaut (China) will jump into the mix. And you can say goodbye to Seoul :Q

Superrock

Oct 28, 2000
In related news

Basically S Korea is telling N Korea, "You don't change your policies? Fine you stop getting our aid." and N Korea is saying, "You don't give us free aid? Fine. We'll try to embarass you by being more belligerant."

Sometimes N. Korea seems like a immature, petulant child with no pride at all.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: bamacre
Originally posted by: palehorse74
Originally posted by: piasabird
Communism is their problem.
Kim Jong-il is their #1 problem... communism is #2.

welcome back steppie...

Agreed. That guy is insane.

Kim Jong-il and a few generals are in complete control of the country, and therefore have incredible wealth and privilege. They reward loyal underlings who help them maintain the power structure, who in turn reward THEIR underlings, and so on. The relative few in the power pyramid lead the good life, whereas everyone else in North Korea is essentially impoverished. It's hardly insane for those on top to refuse to willingly relinquish their positions of power, regardless of how horrible living conditions are for the average Korean.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
Kim Jong-il slightly less brutal than Sadam with two times the nuts (crazies not balls) and no oil.