Someone explain me why North Korea is so F---ed up?

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
I don't know much about North Korea until reading up on the Wikipedia page. North Korea invest entirely in the military even though their people are poor and starving. They think we will invade them one day. What is their problem???

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
"They" don't think the West will invade them. "They" are just using the boogeyman of the scary foreign invader to justify funneling all of the nation's cash into the military and government.

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
Originally posted by: piasabird
Communism is their problem.

China is communist. But we have good relations with them. We can get Visas for example to fly to China. We import/export with them. People vacation there.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Originally posted by: steppinthrax
I don't know much about North Korea until reading up on the Wikipedia page. North Korea invest entirely in the military even though their people are poor and starving. They think we will invade them one day. What is their problem???

Dude, no bias is needed to ascertain that Kim Jong-il is just plain crackers. He really is out of his mind.

I'm not certain I would complain if we decided to invade. That's one country where we would be greeted as liberators.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: Atreus21

Dude, no bias is needed to ascertain that Kim Jong-il is just plain crackers. He really is out of his mind.

I'm not certain I would complain if we decided to invade. That's one country where we would be greeted as liberators.

Invade NK? Are you insane?

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006

From what I understand North Korea ar allies with China and a few other counteries. If we invade North Korea we will have problems with China and those other counteries. We can't afford a fight with china and we will most likely lose....

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007

China is communist. But we have good relations with them. We can get Visas for example to fly to China. We import/export with them. People vacation there.

China is not what I would call communist anymore. They are more like a dictatorship with a mix of government owned industry and unbridled capitalism.

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
It is F'd up because they didn't invest in the economy.
They invested 50%+ of their GDP on military

The regime doesn't fall because the people are banned from getting information from the outside. They have no idea what is happening.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I read a page on an 'outsiders' visit to NK a while back. They had pics and some comments there. Overall it was very depressing. I feel sorry for the NK citizens. :(

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
Originally posted by: Aimster

The regime doesn't fall because the people are banned from getting information from the outside. They have no idea what is happening.

So it seems the problem is with Jung il. Why don't we go into N. Korea and Assasinate Kim Jung...

Feb 24, 2001
I'd volunteer to take him out. Grade A asshole. His people are starving and brainwashed and he gets iPods.

Anyways, if some real shit were to go down they'd just attack South Korea. They have plenty of Type Long Dong missiles aimed their way unfortunately.

You could put CIWS along the border to shoot down missiles, but some will get through. Is SK willing to have civilians killed to "free" the north?

And would someone be willing to kill innocent NKs who will fight to their death because of their indoctrination? It'd be like killing an abused dog. They just don't know any different :(

Here's a 16 part series the guys at Vice Guide did. They sneaked cameras along with them for their trip.

http://www.vbs.tv/video.php?id=1438428757

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007

So it seems the problem is with Jung il. Why don't we go into N. Korea and Assasinate Kim Jung...

As mentioned before, NK invests almost it's entire government budget on military and intelligence services. Hardly anybody, especially a westerner, sneaks into North Korea. That man is probably safer, from outside threats at least, than any other world leader on the planet.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
North Korea sends dissenters to Death Camps in the north Near the China Border. So no one has the guts to complain or speak out against the government in North Korea. My Wife is Korean and her grandfather's house was in North Korea. Their own uncle went off to college and came back communist. One night they fled to the south with what they could carry. They have never heard of or seen or talked to any of their relatives in the North. So the South Koreans fear to attack North Korea because they may be killing their own relatives. I think that South Korea would only attack if the North Koreans started the War. The US is hesitant to suggest a pre-emptive attack because South Korea is such a small country, and half of the country is within missle and artillery range of the north. Seoul, the capital of South Korea is within Artillery Range of the North.

I have stood in the DMZ in the north and looked through spyglasses into the demilitarized zone, watching them watching me. North Korea is one spooky place.

South Korea still hopes for reunification like what happened in Berlin and East Germany.

maddogchen

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2004

Kim is a God. you don't go around assassinating God.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Governments when grown to certain sizes will only serve themselves. That is a problem as ancient as before Republics were born. If it isn?t the monarchy in full control of a people it is the modern day military dictator. Same shoe, different language to describe it.

Then P&N likes to chastise those who think ill of unending government expansion. There are ample examples throughout history and modern day ? such as North Korea ? that tell you where it will lead.

A dictator / government can have varying degrees of good and evil about it. Just like some monarchies were better than others, some communist regimes aren't as determined to destroy its people. One thing we have to give China credit for is having intelligence. Where as North Korea?s government is just plain crazy.

I believe your question might as well ask "why does natural selection exist?" Simply because it does.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Originally posted by: Sinsear
Axis of Evil

Well, their government, to be damned sure, is pretty Evil with a capital 'E'. The people are just people, for the most part, IMHO. When Kim Jong Mentally Ill finally gets killed / kicks the bucket, I hope that the old hard-line government goes with him. Those people need some freedom, justice, and opportunity.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
NK is like a real-life 1984 except Big Brother is a living person and the Proles are all in prison camps.

You could say their problem is Kim Jong-Il, but really it's a system of government that controls its people absolutely through terror.
Nat Geo Explorer did an excellent undercover documentary a year ago which I highly recommend: text
No propaganda, NK is the absolute religion of the state. A modern throwback to the ancient nations where the king was worshiped as a god.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

I sincerely doubt we would be greeted as liberators. I'm fascinated by North Korea and I've read a bunch of books on it. The main element of experience that seems to be common among all North Korean defectors is their genuine amazement at the fact that the people of the US and South Korea aren't snacking on babies in our spare time. The indoctrination and propaganda over there is so total... that at least at first I am almost certain the population would fight us tooth and nail.

I also don't think KJI is crazy... unless you want to say he has some sort of disassociative disorder where he can ignore immense suffering for his own personal gain. Every move NK makes is completely rational as long as you realize that the only goal they appear to have is the maintenance of Kim's regime and standard of living. He just doesn't give a shit about anything else.

As for what North Korea's problem is... well... pretty much the above explains it.