Someone explain edibles to me

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
Yeah, that's likely the term. My memory of the trip is a little fuzzy...ya know, on account of the weed lol.

Reactions: Captante

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I hadn't touched the devil's lettuce in some time, up until a recent boyz trip to Colorado. The game has fucking changed since legalization -- sweet christ lol. I'm hoping TX gets its shit together soon (not likely so long as TIMMAY is in office).

Dispensaries are super cool -- I love the term 'weedtender' for the individual behind the counter that is helping you lol.
Here they're called budtenders.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
So bit of an update. I have an appointment to discuss treatment options and stuff in a few weeks. (Even private health care moves slowly!)

It's with a private clinic in the UK. They can prescribe oral oil (which I'm not mad keen on as I would really like the treatment to interfere too much with me doing stuff), losenges (again not too keen for the same reasons), oil for vaping or herbal cannabis (for vaping).
I'm kinda leaning towards herbal cannabis. Sounds a bit hippy but it's the least messed around with product and it's obviously been trialled for a couple of thousand years now!
The clinic recommends storz and bickel vapes for weed, any good?
How is vaping weed on the lungs? I'm guessing better than smoking but still a bit rough?

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I have limited experience with dry herbal vapes, and I used to smoke cigarettes, but I didn't think it was too bad.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
Isn't herbal cannabis just weed? Why the weird name for it? I've hot air vaped for a while, have not tried the storz and bickel ones but I've heard good things. It's definitely much better than smoking but there are some caveats. I've noticed a lot of people who do hot air vape turn the temperature up high enough to start burning the weed so they're practically smoking anyway. You don't need to go that high and if you set the temperature right it's very smooth. Cleaning is also really important, leaving material in there dried out it ends up burning pretty easily.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Isn't herbal cannabis just weed? Why the weird name for it? I've hot air vaped for a while, have not tried the storz and bickel ones but I've heard good things. It's definitely much better than smoking but there are some caveats. I've noticed a lot of people who do hot air vape turn the temperature up high enough to start burning the weed so they're practically smoking anyway. You don't need to go that high and if you set the temperature right it's very smooth. Cleaning is also really important, leaving material in there dried out it ends up burning pretty easily.
I was trying to get into the habit of caalling it "herbal cannabis", I feel like asking to be prescribed "weed" seems a bit shady!

• Haha
Reactions: Captante and VashHT

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I feel like asking to be prescribed "weed" seems a bit shady!

:X

If your a prescription, you pay less tax.
I used to carry a prescription around.
They were so ridiculously easy to get.
Like 20 dollars.
You got your moneys back in the tax savings from a few pickups.
You just nodded yes to the doctor a few times, and s/he went OK~

Also i am late... but here is my tax on MJ, BTW i live in California, where its recreational approved even.

But smoking, hits you fast... its right away... BAM~. Its more difficult to medicate, because unless your friends who are packing the pipe are being serious with you, they will always overpack, and chances are you will get baked depending on the strain.

But if you do it alone, u can start small, and then work up with each puff, hence why people like to inhale it in some form.

If you eat it... God have mercy on you.
If its your first time, clear the day out, and get ready to order that pizza.
You will over medicate on edibles at least once. It takes forever to hit you, so you take another after 1 hour... and another ... and pretty soon your already over the cliff before you realize it.
I love edibles, but i hate they can last more then 12 hours, and i along with all my friends have fallen asleep stoned, and woke up still stoned from edibles.

Lastly.... i would never think of transporting it on the plane, or boat, or out of state period.
Even going from Nevada to California, i would rather just travel empty and then buy when i reach Las Vegas.

Do not transport it across state.
Only use in states where its state approved.
And of course, i am assuming everyone in this thread is over the age of 21 where in some states its required by law.

• Love

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

Like 20 dollars.
Also i am late... but here is my tax on MJ, BTW i live in California, where its recreational approved even.

But smoking, hits you fast... its right away... BAM~. Its more difficult to medicate, because unless your friends who are packing the pipe are being serious with you, they will always overpack, and chances are you will get baked depending on the strain.

But if you do it alone, u can start small, and then work up with each puff, hence why people like to inhale it in some form.
I think it's easier to medicate, because you can just have a little, and if you determine it wasn't sufficient, add a little more.
You will over medicate on edibles at least once. It takes forever to hit you, so you take another after 1 hour... and another ... and pretty soon your already over the cliff before you realize it.
I love edibles, but i hate they can last more then 12 hours, and i along with all my friends have fallen asleep stoned, and woke up still stoned from edibles.
While I do agree there's good odds of accidentally over-medicating, I've never encountered this because I decided to eat another after deciding the first one wasn't working :p
Only happened when I was DIY, which of course can be hard to gauge the strength of. I've also never had one last more than like 4 hours.
Lastly.... i would never think of transporting it on the plane, or boat, or out of state period.
Even going from Nevada to California, i would rather just travel empty and then buy when i reach Las Vegas.

And of course, i am assuming everyone in this thread is over the age of 21 where in some states its required by law.
The TSA doesn't care about cannabis products, I have associates who have flown with edibles and vape carts in their luggage from legal states to non-legal states and back with no issue, even when they had a note about getting a visit from the TSA fairy in their luggage. I'm not saying I recommend it, but it's often a non-issue for products other than flower.

Last edited:

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I think it's easier to medicate, because you can just have a little, and if you determine it wasn't sufficient, add a little more.

OMG Korova Fudge Brownies double stacked.. Think these guys with double dosage.
Sorry there is no way to not over medicate because of how Yummy these guys.

:X 2000mgs will tear you up for over 20 hours.... lol...

The TSA doesn't care about cannabis products, I have associated who have flown with edibles and vape carts in their luggage from legal states to non-legal states and back with no issue, even when they had a note about getting a visit from the TSA fairy in their luggage. I'm not saying I recommend it, but it's often a non-issue for products other than flower.

Oh this is new.
Id think TSA would steal it and leave a note saying THANK YOU.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005

Like 20 dollars.

Medical cannabis is pretty rare in the UK. Its a schedule 2 controlled drug (that's up there with morphine and fentanyl) for prescribing. You pretty much have to go to a private health clinic and be seen by a qualified professional (that's going to be a consultant level Psychiatrist or medical doctor), if you go through the NHS you MIGHT (but unlikely) get it if you have terminal cancer of MS that's pretty severe.

It's weird that there's so much inertia in health care against it in this Country as you can smell it walking around pretty much any city and no one cares.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
OMG Korova Fudge Brownies double stacked.. Think these guys with double dosage.
Sorry there is no way to not over medicate because of how Yummy these guys.

:X 2000mgs will tear you up for over 20 hours.... lol...
LOL, yeah, I have no reason to purchase such an item, my primary motivator in purchase of edibles is practicality and that does not strike me as terribly practical for my needs :D

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I'm in nyc where weed in all forms is legal. Unfortunately weed and I don't agree. I always get paranoid and weird with any form of it. Same with red bull. I have the opposite effects with both. Energy with weed and drowsy with red bull. Whiskey is my preferred everything.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I go with "bud" or "flower" for classic/smokable MJ. :)

IME "oil-vaping" does MORE lung-damage in the long run then smoking flower does and my cardiologist agrees. The only time I use an oil-vape is when I'm out someplace where smoking itself is a problem. (it's more convenient/cleaner and "stinks" a lot less)

Vaping even with relatively "pure" oil still can result in a thin, oily liquid coating building up on the inside of your lungs that mucus has a VERY tough time surrounding/moving out and thus is MUCH harder to cough up.

Based on my 47+ years consuming MJ, I prefer to do carefully portioned one-hitters in a "perc-equipped" glass bong like the unit pictured below to minimize harm to your health. (Anything "dry" will simply not be as effective)

A5945G_3.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Pohemi

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Haha I'm still trying to get used to people calling it more proper terms, so used to people just calling it pot or weed.
The circles I was in when I was younger always called it 'bud', 'buds', or 'herbs'. Because of all the different concentrates and processed products that are available now, I see old school herb often being called, 'flower'. After all...that's what the "buds" are.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
The TSA doesn't care about cannabis products

I ALSO know of several folks who have been busted flying with THC vapes. :oops:(All in Texas fyi)

If you pass through any TSA checkpoint (or enter a Federal courthouse/secure installation) with ANY weed-product on you, you are 100% rolling the dice and sometimes it's going to come up snake-eyes.

Personally I will NEVER spend one thin dime in a "prohibition" jurisdiction ever again anyway and I also avoid transfers through those hell-pit states like the plague. I travel "dry" and stock up upon arrival anyway if flying though out of an abundance of caution.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pohemi

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I ALSO know of several folks who have been busted flying with THC vapes. :oops:(All in Texas fyi)

If you pass through any TSA checkpoint (or enter a Federal courthouse/secure installation) with ANY weed-product on you, you are 100% rolling the dice and sometimes it's going to come up snake-eyes.

Personally I will NEVER spend one thin dime in a "prohibition" jurisdiction ever again anyway and I also avoid transfers through those hell-pit states like the plague. I travel "dry" and stock up upon arrival anyway if flying though out of an abundance of caution.
IDK, I've heard from a mix of people who just had the battery on them and their carts in checked luggage, and people who just had the whole thing on them. I haven't heard from anyone flying to/from Texas specifically though.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Until weed is no longer considered legally "the same as Heroin" (ie: Schedule 1) federally there's no such thing as a "fully safe" place to use (or carry) it in the US.

Having said that I smoked pot just as much back when a single "whiff" of Maryjane was more than enough to justify a search-warrant simply for the asking and yet I've literally never gotten in serious trouble for weed. (despite being "caught" many times by the popo .... of course I'm white so there is that!)

:oops:

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
There was a bottle of CBD oil and a bottle of THC oil as well.
I've only tried the CBD oil as I don't want to try anything too heavy for the first go when I'm working nights!