Someone explain edibles to me

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I am an extreme newb.

I had half of an indica gummy a few days ago after lunch and had a fucking headache and was dizzy as shit by mid afternoon, almost threw up. Fuck that.

I've since vaped a little of sativa/indica mix and haven't felt anything. Need more practice I guess. I prefer alcohol so far, lol.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Used to be that folks said the first few times you smoked weed you wouldn't get high at all although I certainly did!

I suggest you get yourself a small glass bong and SMOKE an indica-leaning hybrid. Start slow with smallish hits BUT not too slow... with bong-hits you won't get "too high" by surprise.

I've been smoking/consuming weed for most of my life FWIW and IME most edibles of any kind that you don't make at home are crap. (especially gummies)

If you really want to use something edible that works, keep an eye out for something called "RSO". (Rick Simpson Oil)

Last edited:

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
For pain you want a higher CBD mg number. Honestly some strains are better for sleep than others BUT your mileage WILL vary. I have friends that some strains are uppers and then other friends take the same strain and pass out. My thought is, if you can lower your pain with the higher CBD you should be able to relax and sleep more potentially.

But of course.

Depends on the pain. For nerve pain THC can be better while the best relief might be from THC and CBD together

I am an extreme newb.

I had half of an indica gummy a few days ago after lunch and had a fucking headache and was dizzy as shit by mid afternoon, almost threw up. Fuck that.

I've since vaped a little of sativa/indica mix and haven't felt anything. Need more practice I guess. I prefer alcohol so far, lol.

It can take some experimentation to find what works well for you. I liken it a bit to the first time you try beer or liquor. Most people don't actually like their first drinks and it can take a little bit to find what you like

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
If you're new to it I'd prolly only go for 5mg or less, personally I don't really like edibles too much, I find them way more unpredictable than just straight up smoking but I understand if someone doesn't want to smoke at all. Like other people said CBD and THC ones are good if you're not looking to get stoned and more for relief. I have some pills like that, think they're 2.5mg of each I think and they help with my anxiety pretty well, they're just relaxing and don't make me feel high at all.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I've smoked a fair bit in my younger days. I just have no experience with commercial edibles, I've made lots of hash brownies in my time but there's no way I could function day to day living on those! 😆

Anyway I've applied to join a medical marijuana trial. Hopefully that will be good for me and move the country a step closer to legalisation. I'll keep you all informed!

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
My wife takes an edible for rheumatoid arthritis pain every night to help her sleep. It is 5:1 ratio CBD:THC
11mg: 2.3mg
That one works great and she sleeps all night and wakes up with no issues.
https://fairwindscannabis.com/product/51-ratio-capsules/
The full extract cannabis oil (F.E.C.O.) pills are more effective, almost too effective.
25mg: 2.5mg
She sometimes has a bit of trouble getting awake with that one. it is reserved for weekends :)
https://www.iheartjane.com/products/680308/fairwinds-feco-10-1-10pk-1000mg

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
The full extract cannabis oil (F.E.C.O.) pills are more effective, almost too effective.
25mg: 2.5mg

Essentially identical to RSO although dispensaries often charge a premium for it because they (supposedly) use more expensive food-grade grain alcohol as the primary solvent rather than isopropyl which they claim makes it "healthier".

Truth is that chemically the products are identical and you should buy whichever is cheaper/more potent.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Essentially identical to RSO although dispensaries often charge a premium for it because they (supposedly) use more expensive food-grade grain alcohol as the primary solvent rather than isopropyl which they claim makes it "healthier".

Truth is that chemically the products are identical and you should buy whichever is cheaper/more

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Yeah but RSO tastes like Satan's filthy taint.
I have a CBD RSO "syringe" Stuff tastes like bong water...or scrapings. I've had it over 4 years and maybe used it twice because it tastes so nasty.

Why would you take RSO (or any other edible concentrate) in a way that requires you to taste it at all?

:oops: o_O

(when I get it I use capsules)

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I have a CBD RSO "syringe" Stuff tastes like bong water...or scrapings. I've had it over 4 years and maybe used it twice because it tastes so nasty.
Accurate.
Why would you take RSO (or any other edible concentrate) in a way that requires you to taste it at all?

:oops: o_O

(when I get it I use capsules)
I didn't know it came in capsules. I didn't buy it for me, but I was curious about it so I tried some. Tried it in some hot coffee too.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I don't think "earthy" is the right way to describe the flavor of RSO unless the earth you're sampling is near a tar pit :p

• Haha
Reactions: skyking

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Accurate.

I didn't know it came in capsules. I didn't buy it for me, but I was curious about it so I tried some. Tried it in some hot coffee too.
I tried that...took forever to wash the smell out of the cup.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Yes capsules. My wife never tastes a thing and she doesn't care for those earthy flavors.

Those Fairwinds Ratio capsules were great for my wife. Unfortunately, none of the shops around here carry them...

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I find edibles to be better for me, easier to control dosage, and able to do a lower dosage than smoking, to just take the edge off, and not make me too high.
Better for your lungs too, of course.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I tried that...took forever to wash the smell out of the cup.

Not only that you lose a significant amount of the oil you paid good money for that way... very wasteful.

Even if it doesn't come in capsules, it will come in a small glass "syringe" and putting it INTO a capsule using that is exceedingly easy. (measuring an accurate dose is simple too)

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Not only that you lose a significant amount of the oil you paid good money for that way... very wasteful.

Even if it doesn't come in capsules, it will come in a small glass "syringe" and putting it INTO a capsule using that is exceedingly easy. (measuring an accurate dose is simple too)
I don't plan on using it again myself, I'll stick to one of the other many available options :D

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
If you take it properly the only bad thing about RSO is the price... For some reason it's always on the expensive side.

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
The only thing I don't like about edibles is the delay. I am not patient - It's my high, and I want it now!

• Haha

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
The only thing I don't like about edibles is the delay. I am not patient - It's my high, and I want it now!
It usually works in my favor since I mostly eat them before concerts, so it's often kicking in after the openers are done and the main act is on stage.

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
I hadn't touched the devil's lettuce in some time, up until a recent boyz trip to Colorado. The game has fucking changed since legalization -- sweet christ lol. I'm hoping TX gets its shit together soon (not likely so long as TIMMAY is in office).

Dispensaries are super cool -- I love the term 'weedtender' for the individual behind the counter that is helping you lol.