Somebody tried to run the gate at NAS JAX today and didn't make it

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
It started out like any other day as I made my way to work, however, once I got off the interstate and onto the last stretch of road to the base it became clear that something was wrong as traffic across all 3 northbound lanes was at a standstill. What should only take 5 minutes to traverse took over 2 hours today. During that time multiple unmarked cars running code along with marked vehicles from JSO and FHP passed us on the shoulders but we just didn't have any information on what was happening ahead of us.

Turns out that somebody tried to force their way past the gate guards and onto NAS Jacksonville but they did not succeed and died at the barrier for reasons not yet revealed. At the same time all phone lines to the base were severed so the only way to call was from personal cell phones and the Birmingham gate was closed forcing all traffic to the other two gates. Strange start indeed and at the end of the day the gate was still closed forcing all traffic out the same two gates with the same congestion as in the morning. They finally ended up reopening the gate for exit only after I'd made my way home for day. Just one of those things that don't expect to see happen.

Reactions: Leeea

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
That's wild! He just died? Certainly be interesting to find out the whys and hows of that.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Personal commentary is uncommonly commenty.
Probably about 7 to 10 years ago the same type of thing happened at the Bangor Sub Base. Guy tried escaping from the State police by trying to run the gate.

EDIT: I found the story

Car thief crashes gate at Kitsap nuclear submarine missile base | KOMO (komonews.com)

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
"they deployed the barrier"
That sounds potentially life ending.
I bet it is some kinetic cable or bollard system that spears or otherwise entangles the car in a very secure manner.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
"they deployed the barrier"
That sounds potentially life ending.
I bet it is some kinetic cable or bollard system that spears or otherwise entangles the car in a very secure manner.
It's this net that shoot's across the road. They spent a lot of money installing those things. Supposed to stop up to 60 mph.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Was it possible he was already dead, foot on the pedal and it just appeared he tried to run it, and died? That the reason for hte hit and run was he was in the midst of already dying, maybe trying to get to the hospital...and a series of unfortunate circumstances ensued?

Probably not...but sure seems strange. More likely drugs.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
It's not the speed that kills you..it's the sudden deceleration

Seems like that is indeed the case.

"The security gate is equipped with massive pop-up barriers, which the driver hit while traveling about 40 mph (64 kph) and not wearing a seatbelt, FHP said. The man died at the scene."

Reactions: hal2kilo

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
There are warning signs along the main road for drivers not to stop on top of them as they deploy without warning but that doesn't stop our brightest drivers from doing just that every day. I'm glad that the guys at the gate didn't have to discharge their weapons or that would be even more stress on them.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Probably about 7 to 10 years ago the same type of thing happened at the Bangor Sub Base. Guy tried escaping from the State police by trying to run the gate.

EDIT: I found the story

Car thief crashes gate at Kitsap nuclear submarine missile base | KOMO (komonews.com)
This happens multiple times a year at Tinker Air Force Base in OKC. Never understand why so many people think it's a good idea try to run into an AFB. The last guy tried it while pulling a boat. The only thing I can think of is it might be a rational thought they are less likely to be killed by the MP verse local cops. Especially they last guy that was a cop killer.

Reactions: hal2kilo

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Wow, compared to bases I've been too, that base had some pretty weak passive protections. Tinker you have S-turns in very tight lanes then the moveable barriers.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Wow, compared to bases I've been too, that base had some pretty weak passive protections. Tinker you have S-turns in very tight lanes then the moveable barriers.
Those are before you get to the ID check gate. The stopper gate is shortly after the guard ID check.