Somebody get Romney a Teleprompter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
You would think someone who has spent as much time as Mitt running for office would be good at it by now, or at least competent.

Romney seems to have three speeds, Boring, Weird or Inappropriate. Kerry is famous for "4 it B4 I was against it" and windsurfing. We're not even to Super Tuesday, and nowhere near the nom, and so far Romney has racked up:

-"I don't care about the poor"
-"I bet you $10K"
-"My Gosh, you can't be here, I'm running for office for Pete's sake!" @illegals working in garden
-"My wife's couple of Cadillacs"
-" I didn't make much off it, maybe only $375K"
-"I like the trees. They're the right height."
-"I like to fire fire people"
-"derrr.. I'm unemployed just like you too" /jokefail
-“I like those fancy raincoats you bought. Really sprung for the big bucks.” @nascar fans in ponchos
-"I don't follow NASCAR, but I have some great friends that are NASCAR team owners." (Yes, that's a two-fer at the same event)

and the classic:
-"Corporations are people too my friend!"

Has there been a case of a major candidate saying so many ridiculous things and gone on to win?

Besides W that is. At least his gaffes were funny, "Gynecologists practicing their love of women." Romney just comes off a a dick from the country club in a cheesy 80's movie.

Last edited:

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
At least someone is smart enough to keep Biden away from the cameras. That guy is a gaffe machine on overdrive. W was funny with his, I agree with that. :)

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
Somebody get Romney a Teleprompter.
You apparently didn't get the memo; teleprompters are anathema to Republicans since they created the myth that the current president couldn't remember his own name without one. Merely using the word "teleprompter" in a negative context is a guaranteed Tea Party applause line.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Obama isn't too great without one either. How many states are in the US again?

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
Obama isn't too great without one either. How many states are in the US again?
If the president is so terribly mistake prone, why do you have to reach back almost four years for your example?

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Meh. Call me when Romney thanks himself for inviting himself to the White House to meet himself.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Dude he's talking to some UAW people; of course they'll clap to the idea they jumped everyone's pensions to get equity in the new GM.

That's the point tho. Romney has only been in front of primary crowds and he's either pitting them to sleep or insulting them. How hard is it to go in front of a NASCAR crowd in the South and not rile everyone up talking about how the president sucks?

Romney can't seem to make an appearance without seeming insulting or condescending or some other unforced error.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
You would think someone who has spent as much time as Mitt running for office would be good at it by now, or at least competent.

Romney seems to have three speeds, Boring, Weird or Inappropriate. Kerry is famous for "4 it B4 I was against it" and windsurfing. We're not even to Super Tuesday, and nowhere near the nom, and so far Romney has racked up:

-"I don't care about the poor"
-"I bet you $10K"
-"My Gosh, you can't be here, I'm running for office for Pete's sake!" @illegals working in garden
-"My wife's couple of Cadillacs"
-" I didn't make much off it, maybe only $375K"
-"I like the trees. They're the right height."
-"I like to fire fire people"
-"derrr.. I'm unemployed just like you too" /jokefail
-“I like those fancy raincoats you bought. Really sprung for the big bucks.” @nascar fans in ponchos
-"I don't follow NASCAR, but I have some great friends that are NASCAR team owners." (Yes, that's a two-fer at the same event)

and the classic:
-"Corporations are people too my friend!"

Has there been a case of a major candidate saying so many ridiculous things and gone on to win?

Besides W that is. At least his gaffes were funny, "Gynecologists practicing their love of women." Romney just comes off a a dick from the country club in a cheesy 80's movie.

He doesn't need a teleprompter, he's never experienced an average person's life. He has no clue what it's like to be an average american and cannot relate to them in any way. He's a plastic mannequin from a country club pro shop. He's never really seen the "real" world.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
For some direction:
This is a discussion regarding Romney's electability in the face of continuos verbal misteps, esp in regards to a central tenant of his campaign being his electability.

Sidebars for consideration are:
-how can Romney reverse the developing memes of "aloof Rich Guy,"Prudish Mormon" as well as "Wall Street Shark who fired your Dad."

-Will his lack of charisma hinder him in bringing his negatives back down. Eg. Obama was able to save himself after Rev Wright by giving a passionate and well received speech. Can Romney do the same after this bloody primary?

-Does his campaign's errors undercut his image of an effective manager? Ford field debacle, the constant leaks and public backstabbing...does not seem well run.

Status
Not open for further replies.