some weird dll problems and lockups in winME

killabeas

Aug 9, 2000
I am having some strange problems that i hope noone out there is having, cause let me tell you what....it is a real biatch.

When opening My Computer, Internet Explorer, or Windows Explorer.....about 4 out of 5 times, i'll get an illegal operation concerning either a dll error dealing with the MSHTML.DLL file and sometimes it's with IEXPLORE.EXE, GDI.EXE, or USER.EXE

This is sometimes followed up by other programs getting illegal operations.......one's that are running in the background.

It will say something like MIRC has caused an error in MIRC.EXE or something like that.

Has anyone out there had similar problems....?

I don't know if i got a bad install or what, but this is my third install of WinME and i have gotten the same stuff everytime.

I downloaded the .0600 build of internet explorer and that didn't seem to work.

I don't think it has anything to do with my video card or any other drivers, cause when i boot to safe mode, i still get the same problems when trying to open up my computer.

Somebody please help!!!!

killabeas

Aug 9, 2000
all three were clean installs

i even formatted the hard drive to install winME the second and third time

bluezebra1098

May 8, 2000
I noticed a few sites and a new computer I just built with Win Me that was experiencing lockups when using IE 5.5. A download of a newer version than what's on the ME CD cleared up the locups. You may try it and see if it helps. Win ME comes with IE 5.50.4134.0100 you need to install version 5.50.4134.0600.

IE 5.5ver0600

killabeas

Aug 9, 2000
i already did install that .0600 build of IE

and it's driving me nuts

sometime when i boot, it'll run just fine......no problems at all
then i install a program and have to reboot or something, and it goes right back to doing it.

and now, after it does it, i can open my computer up, and the view as a web page (or whatever mode that is, where it puts your hard drive on the left as a pie graph) is turned off, and all the fonts are HUGE.

and when it's doing that, when i load internet explorer, it will try to save my start page to the hard drive.......

i think it's about time to go back to win98

bigfootmd

Mar 1, 2000
SEE MY POSTINGS in the past two days. What is happeninng sometimes when you do an UPGRADE from 98 to ME is the Win98 network settings, DLL and associated stuff gets imported into Windows ME. Microsoft knows of this bug but has made no effort to post any info on it.

MaGR

Aug 8, 2000
I HAVE THE SAME DAMN PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!
Only seems to be with IE. I get a "MSHTML.DLL" error like you reported earlier...I also downloaded the newest IE known to man and it did ah heck all.....I did a clean install so everything SHOULD be fine.....only seems to do it in some certain websites...but just when surfing around and you have to shut down all your explorer windows is a major pain in the.........
After a restart everything seems fine for a while (I guess it just depends on if IE likes the sites I goto....)But for a brand new OS it is pretty poor...apart from that everything seemd good...It's just a real hassle!!!!!
IF ANYONE CAN HELP US PLEASE DO!!!!!!!!!

bluezebra1098

May 8, 2000
Bigfoot..everyone here did a clean install and they are still having problems.
May I suggest borrowing a ME CD from someone else and try formatting. I'm thinking the CD may be bad. You guys are having too many problems.
Sorry, killabeas, noticed after my post that you had already downloaded IE 5.5 0600. Wasn't much help on that one.