Some tax advice questions

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
So I'm looking at moving from an apartment to a house, so month-to-month income is going to be a wee bit more important, and I'd like to get the right amount of deductions taken out so I don't end up with a huge bill, but don't give the government a 200/mo loan. I've been claiming 0 deductions on my W4 in the past and getting back some four digit returns.

I'm a single guy living alone, what should be claimed as far as deductions and exemptions on my W4?

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Download the 2007 prelim version of Taxact and use their tax forecasting tool.

BradT

Jul 17, 2007
Originally posted by: CPA
Download the 2007 prelim version of Taxact and use their tax forecasting tool.

CPA, I love you. You are such a nice and helpful friend on here, yet you do it entirely free. Its people like you that make me feel all warm inside.

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
Okay, I tried out the free version. Either I'm missing it or is it locked out unless you give them money? (both are entirely possible)

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
As a rough estimate:

Look at what the interest payments and taxes will be on the place for a year.

Divide that amount by 3000. (Equivalent to an exemption).

Take the result of the division and increment by one.

That will get you a good close baseline W4 withholding number.

After a solid year (ie 2009), re-evaluate your withholding by now looking at any additional refund that you get.

Reapply the formula against your return and adjust the W4 again by the result.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Demon-Xanth
So I'm looking at moving from an apartment to a house, so month-to-month income is going to be a wee bit more important, and I'd like to get the right amount of deductions taken out so I don't end up with a huge bill, but don't give the government a 200/mo loan. I've been claiming 0 deductions on my W4 in the past and getting back some four digit returns.

I'm a single guy living alone, what should be claimed as far as deductions and exemptions on my W4?

Here's your formula:

1. Calc estimated mortgage interest plus real estate taxes. (If your planning on buying this year I wouldn't bother for '07, the amount is unlikley to exceed your standard deduction by much, if at all. But the formula will work for '08)

2. Add any other Sch A itemized deductions (state income tax, charity etc).

3. Total #1 & 2 (total estimated sch A itemized deductions for the year)

4. Subtract your standard deduction amount from #3 above.

5. Divide the result by $3,300. Round down to the nearest whole number.

NOTE: You only add additional exemptions for the amount of your itemized deductions that EXCEED your standard deduction amount. The standard deduction amount is already built into the withholding charts.

Fern