Some sort of warning when the CPU gets hot?

carling220

Dec 16, 2011
I have a stock i5 2500K from a rig I bought that's been fine perfectly.

Just out of interesting I installed HW Monitor, as I realised during the heat wave the room was very hot.

Playing F1 2012, the cores were regularly maxing at 80-90 deg C. This I'm lead to believe is far too high. The fan and sync over the CPU were caked in dust and the fan at the rear is out.

I cleaned out the dust. The rear fan still won't come on. The cores in the same 'test', i.e. a quick race, exhibit maximum temperatures now of about 55 or so I think it was, even without the rear fan on.

Is there a way to set up a warning, or shouldn't this already be built in somewhere? I'm sure 90 degrees Celsius is far too high. But I can't run every game with the monitor on. Obviously I can just keep it clean, but I'd have thought it would be good to know if it say, exceeds 70.

Also, i'm right in monitoring the cores? This CPUTIN reader in the software is regularly higher and unsure what it is. Google doesn't shed any light either.

BigChickenJim

Jul 1, 2013
Those are very high temperatures, but I don't believe that they are quite at the thermal trip limit. Your warning with highly unsafe temperatures is usually CPU throttling or thermal shutdown, though I'm not sure those would occur before the 90-100C point (your CPU's max temp is ~100C). Regardless, you shouldn't be running your chip that hot for extended periods of time. Anything over 80C is really warmer than you should be seeing at stock. You need to replace your rear fan (which you should do anyway) and invest in an aftermarket cooler if you are hitting temperatures like that consistently.

As far as setting actually alerts, I believe a program called SpeedFan includes such a feature.

Finally, CPUTIN is usually the CPU socket temp. It is a motherboard sensor located in the CPU socket. It doesn't mean much; core temps are much more salient.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
The tjmax for SB is 98C. And the thermal shutdown is 135C or so. But it will throttle at 98C and its essentially impossible to reach the thermal shutdown without doing something extraordinary extreme.

90C is not a problem at stock. And you could as such run it at 98C all the time.

I would say anything below 85C at peak for stock cooler is fine.

BigChickenJim

Jul 1, 2013
The tjmax for SB is 98C. And the thermal shutdown is 135C or so. But it will throttle at 98C and its essentially impossible to reach the thermal shutdown without doing something extraordinary extreme.

90C is not a problem at stock. And you could as such run it at 98C all the time.

I would say anything below 85C at peak for stock cooler is fine.

True, but why run the chip that hot if a couple of simple fixes could drastically lower the temp?

jkauff

Oct 4, 2012
CoreTemp has a max temp warning message. You can set it to whatever you want.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
yep CoreTemp works fine, and it is pretty simple to figure out. It has options to make it start with windows and start minimized to tray.