Some recommendations for cooling a 980Ti reference

jim1976

Platinum Member
Aug 7, 2003
Hi everyone,

I recently added a 980Ti reference which I found in a good price in my system and paired it with my existing 980Ti G1 model in SLi.

In SLi mode I can o/c up to 230/7700, which somehow limits my G1 individual clocks by quite a good amount (G1 can do +310 on base core).

Not only that but boost clock which in SLi mode is around 1440-1450, due to heat issues with the reference model boost can get down to 1366-1380, even if I up the fan in reference model up to 100% in some heavily gpu utilized games. And it gets really loud as well, no comparison with the G1 model I have.

So I was thinking that maybe I could squeeze a little bit more performance from the reference model if I could get a better cooling solution for it..
Maybe I won't get higher clocks even if I power it more, but at least I could lower the temps/noise and keep the boost clock stable.

That is why I'm asking about your thoughts on this.. Should I go with an air cooling solution like an Accelero Extreme IV or an EVGA? Is there anything else in air that is worth my attention?

Or possibly go for an AIO solution? Any recommendations are welcome and thanks in advance for any help :)

Last edited:

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Just figured I'd chime. I got my EVGA Hybrid cooler, installed it (wasn't as hard but woof the stock 980 Ti shroud is marvelous unlike other cards I've dismantled like 4-5 individual parts.)

Ran a quick stress bench.
Loaded up FFXIV
Set resolution to 3840x2160 DSR
Clocks: 1504mhz
Mem: 3800mhz

FPS 33-37 in the area
GPU load 99%

GPU temp: 47C at peak.
:D

Idle temps are 22C.
:D

I think the stock fan that came with it might be a little loud for my taste, going to swap it out with Corsair SP120, and run it off my fan controller and experiment the best fan speed for temps. I don't think it needs a 100% fan to stay at good temps.

Very happy with my purchase, now to claim my $20 rebate, register it with EVGA and get my hybrid shroud. Corsair lost a sale to EVGA on this one.