Some questions about ground beef

thirtythree

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2001
1. Do cows have to be in a certain state of health to be used? What are the standards?
2. Is it true that they can't be used if they don't have enough strength to walk onto the conveyor belt? :confused:
3. What cow parts does ground beef contain?

Zysoclaplem

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2003
Originally posted by: thirtythree
Originally posted by: Zysoclaplem
This thread makes me feel like a bad person.
You are a bad person for not answering!

Poor cows. Bred to be killed and eaten. That's no life. It makes me sad to think about it.

thirtythree

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2001
Originally posted by: murphy55d
thirtythree, do you represent PETA?
No, I'm just a curious consumer who has no intention of becoming a vegetarian. Plus I'm trying to explain to a paranoid person that they don't just throw sick cow carcasses on conveyor belts and mash 'em up into ground beef, but I don't really know much about the process.

Aug 26, 2004
1. Do cows have to be in a certain state of health to be used? What are the standards?
2. Is it true that they can't be used if they don't have enough strength to walk onto the conveyor belt? :confused:

you suck...now i want a cheeseburger...

murphy55d

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
No, I'm just a curious consumer who has no intention of becoming a vegetarian. Plus I'm trying to explain to a paranoid person that they don't just throw sick cow carcasses on conveyor belts and mash 'em up into ground beef, but I don't really know much about the process.

They use what are called "Test-Tube cows". They grow them in tanks without heads, or hooves, or other non-necessary 'parts'. Then they just have to sedate the torso to stop the heart, and slaughter away!

thirtythree

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2001

They use what are called "Test-Tube cows". They grow them in tanks without heads, or hooves, or other non-necessary 'parts'. Then they just have to sedate the torso to stop the heart, and slaughter away!
LIAR!

murphy55d

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000

LIAR!

Liar? How do you think fast food places can afford a 99 cent menu? KFC does the same things with chickens. No heads, beaks, feathers., etc. Makes for cheaper slaughter-fodder.

flamingelephant

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2001
any cow entering the food chain has to be in good health.. if they cant stand then they dont enter the food chain

thirtythree

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2001
Originally posted by: flamingelephant
any cow entering the food chain has to be in good health.. if they cant stand then they dont enter the food chain
I figured, but what are the other standards for "good health"?

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004

For food safety information about meat call the toll-free USDA Meat and Poultry Hotline at 1-888-MPHotline (1-888-674-6854)

thirtythree

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2001
Originally posted by: alien42

For food safety information about meat call the toll-free USDA Meat and Poultry Hotline at 1-888-MPHotline (1-888-674-6854)
I already checked their website. Isn't that number just a recording?

DnetMHZ

Diamond Member
Apr 10, 2001

LIAR!

Liar? How do you think fast food places can afford a 99 cent menu? KFC does the same things with chickens. No heads, beaks, feathers., etc. Makes for cheaper slaughter-fodder.

Fall for urban legends much?

thirdlegstump

Banned
Feb 12, 2001

...you mean they don't?

thirdlegstump

Banned
Feb 12, 2001

LIAR!

Pics please.

thirtythree

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2001
Originally posted by: deathkoba

...you mean they don't?
That's why I'm asking, silly.