Some pictures from my vegetable garden

jumpr

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2006
It's pretty modest, but I think the yield should be exactly right for me. There are four jalapeño plants, one tomato plant (which is just starting to flower, as pictured), and a pizza pepper plant (potted). The tomato plant is still pretty short and squat, so I'm thinking it might be a cherry tomato plant (it was a gift from a co-worker, so I don't know the variety).

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3
Pic 4
Pic 5

MageXX9

Jan 25, 2005
I have to tomato plant, 6 jalepeno, and some carrots. The d@mn animals keep eating my peppers, and carrots, the tomatoes are doing awesome though. How do I keep the bugs from eating my plants!!!

Great pics btw.

esun

Platinum Member
Nov 12, 2001
Those do look like cherry tomato plants. My dad has a couple, which is why I know.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Nice!
:thumbsup:

Stake them 'maters. If you have eggshells, crush them up and spread around the base of the plant.

jumpr

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2006
Originally posted by: mribnik1
Awesome, I've always wanted to grow my own vegetables. Any tips?
Just plant 'em! This is my first summer growing any veggies, and I'm having great success. I probably should have used some topsoil instead of the crap soil in this area, but other than that it's as easy as can be.

Put a few fertilizer pellets in the hole when you plant the veggies, and give 'em plenty of water. Then, when the veggies start to appear, back off the watering just a little, and you'll have nice, crisp veggies for your salads.

E equals MC2

Banned
Apr 16, 2006
Originally posted by: mribnik1
Awesome, I've always wanted to grow my own vegetables. Any tips?

Should be easy enough. Just google for veggie gardening tips and easier than building PCs for the first time.

Put a circular grill on top of tomato plants, reverse top soil with bottom, water daily, etc...

jumpr

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2006
Originally posted by: Skiddex
:thumbsup: to vegetable garden

:thumbsdown: to worlds smallest grill :)
Well I'm grilling for one, so I'm saving money on charcoal! :D

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Nice, I'd think about throwing down some mulch so you don't have to water as much and to keep the weeds down.

The couple of years that I took over the vegetable garden when my wife got a job, I planted all cantalopes and basil. Gotta love that pesto!

creedog

Golden Member
Nov 15, 1999
Check out this guy's website. I rented one of his DVDs and I have been trying a few of his 'tonics' for fertilizing my plants.
http://www.jerrybaker.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=2

Squisher is right about the mulch. I myself use hay, this helps out tremendously.

I grow tomatoes, green beans, jalapenos, cayenne peppers, green peppers, sunflowers, okra, cucumbers, corn, rosemary, mint, snap peas.

Green beans are my favorite, Steamed lightly, and serverd with butter and garlic, Yum....

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
We have zucchini, tomatoes, lettuce, green beans, peas, pumpkins, and corn. I enjoy doing it.

conehead433

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2002
Raccoons are eating up my figs. Just a little while ago I watched 4 of them make their way out to my 3 fig trees. The good thing is that they produce a lot of figs, so even though they're pigging out and the crows are feasting on them as well, there are still plenty for me to eat.

creedog

Golden Member
Nov 15, 1999
Originally posted by: conehead433
Raccoons are eating up my figs. Just a little while ago I watched 4 of them make their way out to my 3 fig trees. The good thing is that they produce a lot of figs, so even though they're pigging out and the crows are feasting on them as well, there are still plenty for me to eat.

I have a solution for that .... BB gun...

Also try a scarecrow....which is fun to shoot with the BBgun

KillerCharlie

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2005
My parents' vegetable garden is frickin' huge now that they retired to the farm. They grow beans, peas, tomatoes, green peppers, cabbage, lettuce, onions (white and green), potatoes, corn (sometimes), squash, carrots, cucumbers, rhubarb, swiss chard, and beets. My favorites are squash, green peppers, tomtatoes, and peas. I'm totally going to raid the garden when I go there in a month!

Bryophyte

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: creedog
Check out this guy's website. I rented one of his DVDs and I have been trying a few of his 'tonics' for fertilizing my plants.
http://www.jerrybaker.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=2

Squisher is right about the mulch. I myself use hay, this helps out tremendously.

I grow tomatoes, green beans, jalapenos, cayenne peppers, green peppers, sunflowers, okra, cucumbers, corn, rosemary, mint, snap peas.

Green beans are my favorite, Steamed lightly, and serverd with butter and garlic, Yum....

Jerry Baker is an idiot. I can't stand that guy.

Anyway, you might want to try straw instead of hay. Hay is full of grass seeds. Straw has been threshed to remove the seeds. Works great to keep water in and weeds out.

gsellis

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2003
If you do tomatoes next year, try these. I grew them from seeds and planted 5 plants. So far, we have had more than 200 tomatos (over 3 gallons of tomatos) that are about 75% bigger than a cherry. They are low acid too. I had about 10 for lunch. I think we will get at least two more gallons of them. Just amazing.

jumpr

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2006
Originally posted by: gsellis
If you do tomatoes next year, try these. I grew them from seeds and planted 5 plants. So far, we have had more than 200 tomatos (over 3 gallons of tomatos) that are about 75% bigger than a cherry. They are low acid too. I had about 10 for lunch. I think we will get at least two more gallons of them. Just amazing.
Those look awesome. Yum; I'll definitely get some next year. :)